Thread: New poll result on gun control legislation

Default New poll result on gun control legislation

Bad news for the NRA - the tide may be turning. I've said it before - the gun lobby will do better if it starts being reasonable (but then they think they are already bending over backwards).

Poll: Support for stricter gun laws hits all-time high

Support among American voters for stricter gun control laws has reached an all-time high, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday.

Sixty percent of respondents say that support tightening gun laws, while 36 percent said they are opposed to doing so. Still, support for stricter gun control tops the previous high - 54 percent - recorded in a June Quinnipiac poll.

Support for banning devices that allow gun owners to modify semi-automatic rifles to mimic fully automatic weapons is even higher, at 73 percent, according to the new poll. Twenty-five percent of voters oppose prohibiting such devices, commonly called bump stocks.

A majority of voters who identify Republicans - 62 percent - believe that such modifications should be banned. An even greater percentage of voters who live in households where there is a gun favor outlawing the devices.

The poll, conducted Oct. 5-10, came amid a reignited national debate over gun control that emerged after a gunman opened fire on a Las Vegas music festival earlier this month.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/newthrea...=newthread&f=5

Default Re: New poll result on gun control legislation

"Sixty percent of respondents say that support tightening gun laws, while 36 percent said they are opposed to doing so"

Yeah, I'm afraid I can't get too hopeful on this one .......that's the same 36% that got Trump elected.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

^ They will never change their minds unless one of their own is killed and probably not even then. There is no hope for the true believers.

What we need to reach is the ambivalent voter or the person who has been listening to the gun hype but is not really invested in it. We can move those people one drop of blood at a time.

The pity is that it cannot be any other way.

true believers?... sounds very religious to me
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

^ I saw Rep. Steve Scalise on "Meet the Press" this past weekend. Being shot didn't seem to change his view.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

What changes are envisioned? How will they be enforced?

I think all we'll get is a bump stock ban.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    ^ I saw Rep. Steve Scalise on "Meet the Press" this past weekend. Being shot didn't seem to change his view.
    Being shot didn't change my mind either........
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Which is stupid when you think about it....... All you need is a beltloop!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    now do you see why people don't trust you guys... it's obvious to me that no matter what you "got" you will have wanted more
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    now do you see why people don't trust you guys... it's obvious to me that no matter what you "got" you will have wanted more
    Phillip, I'm glad you are feeling better. Now, back to a familiar question:

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Phillip, should gun laws be decided only by avid gun owners, or do we all have a right to voice an opinion?

Phillip, I'm glad you are feeling better. Now, back to a familiar question:
    you have a right to your opinion... the law writers need to be better educated than the ignorant people who think they have the answers

(third time it's have been given to you but you keep insisting on implying that a person is either ignorant about guns or a gun nut... either-or don't cut it and I told you before

another reason not to trust you as you seem to think that one is either ignorant or "avid" as you like to say... I'm not going to play gotcha with you

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    you have a right to your opinion... the law writers need to be better educated than the ignorant people who think they have the answers

(third time it's have been given to you but you keep insisting on implying that a person is either ignorant about guns or a gun nut... either-or don't cut it and I told you before

another reason not to trust you as you seem to think that one is either ignorant or "avid" as you like to say... I'm not going to play gotcha with you
    I've done nothing of the kind. I have asked you a simple question. The rest is all projection on your part.

There are people who are enthusiastic gun owners and there are those who are not. Do we all have an equal right to voice our opinion in making law about gun ownership?

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    Which is stupid when you think about it....... All you need is a beltloop!!!
    A bump stock is easier to use than a belt loop when shooting from behind a barrier or out of a window.

Wish I could remember where I saw it, but the essence was that 2-3% of the US population own way over 50% of the firearms.

So, first off, how do we deal with that tiny minority of obsessed whackjobs?
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Wish I could remember where I saw it, but the essence was that 2-3% of the US population own way over 50% of the firearms.

So 97-98% own 50% of all firearms........ Not such a small percentage
    is it????

Well, the last election demonstrated how accurate polling the fickle American populous is.

And Phillip points out a crux of the problem. So long as many gun control advocates speak with forked tongues: saying on the one hand they support the second amendment and are only advocating for "sensible" measures, all the while humming John Lennon's "Imagine" and harboring fantasies of all guns magically disappearing, I don't see much change coming.
    So many questions, so little time.

obsessed whack jobs?... I've never known a liberal to be even handed with people he thinks he has power over

sounds just a famous statement by his favorite politician... "you're either with us or against us"

I've done nothing of the kind. I have asked you a simple question. The rest is all projection on your part.

There are people who are enthusiastic gun owners and there are those who are not. Do we all have an equal right to voice our opinion in making law about gun ownership?
    once again "... with us or against us" seems to be your fetish

Wow-Ming went for The Trump by 68.2%. Second only to Utah. I'd hasten a guess there might be a whack job or 2 close by. You might be well qualified to answer this question.
    Don't know if I'd suggest approaching the whack jobs though. They can be a bit touchy about such things.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!