Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ugliest Landscape

Default Re: The Ugliest Landscape

People say Athens is a beautiful city, but it depends which part you visit. This part is fugly..

Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Tar sands ... Canada ...

"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Macedonia. The capital was knee deep in garbage, you could taste the air pollution in your mouth, and literally nobody was smiling.

South Bronx in the 1970s.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I think you took that from the same hotel I stayed in when I first went to Athens. I recognize that church with the domed tile roof. Loved it the first time I went. Returned a year or two later and it was not nearly as nice. Nov 2014 and Apr 2016
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Texas, New York City and the entire midwest are equivalent for me. Never going back to any of those places.
    Yup.

Texas shore is ugly.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Maybe not the best choice for a photo, unless there's some racial subtext.
    No racial sub text, they, and I, were caught in the same loop.

I remember coming away from my first visit to Yellowstone thinking it looked and smelled like a toxic waste dump. And Craters of the Moon National Park didn't do a lot for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    What's this say about the success of architecture as an influence on the built world?

Dear architects.... please note the smiley
    Smiley duly noted. However I haven't seen much evidence of architecture in most of what has been posted. Most of this is what architects fight against but are thwarted by financiers and politicians and developers and populists who seem to know more about it than architects.

Quote Originally Posted by Songololo View Post
    Tar sands ... Canada ...

Now this is ugly.
    Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you've got nothing new to say.

Robert Hunter

A roadside " rest stop" off old Ruta 40 in Argentine Patagonia. The country is dry, dusty, windblown with little living because the fauna have often been murdered. The building was ill kept and ill managed - animal remains and trash around, a horse was lodged in a former room of the shop. A place of not quiet desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    What is that blue abortion crossing the railroad tracks?
    Skip, That’s a popular mode of transportation in Juliaca. Rigadog, what did you think about the rusting 55 gallon drums of petrol that dotted the lane dividers on the main streets?

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    Skip, That’s a popular mode of transportation in Juliaca. Rigadog, what did you think about the rusting 55 gallon drums of petrol that dotted the lane dividers on the main streets?
    In the Philippines, the countryside gets by with the habal habal, which can get down a dirt track:

and in built up areas the tricycle rules:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I cycled through Dar es Salaam with a colleague. It was dreadful.

She made it almost bearable.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    About 35 years ago I went to Lightning Ridge. I really enjoyed it. I took a train from Brisbane to the end of the line to Dirranbandi and then hitchhiked a ride on a fuel truck with a guy who had part of his hand gone from a gun accident. I loved sitting in the community hot springs and looking up at dusk and looking up at the blazing stars later. I heard the train is no more.
    Oh yeah, the Ridge is fun. In a way that makes Godooga worse, because the surrounding landscape is similar and yet one town is quirky and interesting and the other seems desolate. I have heard that some people love it, though.

A few hundred ks west is another quirky place, Sunset Strip. It's the beach resort for Broken Hill, the old mining town near where the original Road Warrior/Mad Max movies were shot. When I was there the shallow lake that is the Strip's reason for existence had dried out. You could sit on the beach and there'd be a sign for the launching ramp pointing one way, the "jet skis that way' sign on your other side, and a 17km x 15km expanse of windblown desert in front of you where the lake once was. Not many people were living there for obvious reasons and there were tumbleweeds blowing and corrugated iron creaking in the wind.

Years ago the lake even had its own local scow design. To me, an Australian town that has lost its sailing club is a tragic sight. In the same drought, a club a few hundred ks south had its lake bed catch fire and almost take out the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Texas, New York City and the entire midwest are equivalent for me. Never going back to any of those places.
    Wow, go against in order:. Texas is extremely varied in landscapes: Palo Duro Canyon, the David Mountains, Pney Woods, and anywhere on the drive between Austin and Houston are all gorgeous. New York City: I find much of it a very attractive urban landscape. And then the Midwest: I consider eastern Iowa in the summer one if the most beautiful places on Earth.

To each his own I suppose

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

@Peb: There are beautiful things in the world all worth savoring and saving but the thrust of this thread is that there are lots of ways to crowd them out. All those seem related either to man's presence or greed. Tennessee's countryside is actually quite lovely, but not all of it and everywhere in the city are signs that people are either stressed or slobs. Maybe both. Many of America's 'middle cities' are blighted in some way. One can get used to seeing it and it doesn't even register. The alley behind my house is a view I don't dwell on or frequently just ignore.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 10-16-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Peb, there are beautiful things still in the world all worth saving but I think the point of this thread is that there are many ways to crowd them out, all related to man's presence or greed.
    That's reading quite a bit into the OP:

What's the ugliest place you have ever been too?

For me it was the desolate desert coast South of Lima. Mile after mile of grey nothing punctuated by a few block buildings and the occasional by-the-sea tattered polytarp lodgepole chicken warehouse operation. Misery. I felt flattened and depressed just passing through. It was impossible for me to imagine what day to day life was like for those few who lived there.
    And even if it is the point of this thread, I will still say that its tough to classify Texas, the entire Midwest and New York City as the ugliest landscapes.

The thread's direction, it's defined as much by the responses as it is the OP.

And nobody has classified the pretty spots nor forgotten them as that's truly not the point of the thread. It's nice to think about the pleasant places and things but if we're talking about being on point with the topic, they're not among them.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    The thread's direction, it's defined as much by the responses as it is the OP.

And nobody has classified the pretty spots nor forgotten them as that's truly not the point of the thread. It's nice to think about the pleasant places and things but if we're talking about being on point with the topic, they're not among them.
    I was not trying to identify pretty spots per se, I was trying to dispute a post which claimed that Texas, the Midwest, and New York City were ugly landscapes. That's all. If I was trying to identify pretty spots, I would have listed the drive in Mexico I just put in the "Roads you want to drive before you die" thread.