Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ugliest Landscape

Default The Ugliest Landscape

What's the ugliest place you have ever been too?

For me it was the desolate desert coast South of Lima. Mile after mile of grey nothing punctuated by a few block buildings and the occasional by-the-sea tattered polytarp lodgepole chicken warehouse operation. Misery. I felt flattened and depressed just passing through. It was impossible for me to imagine what day to day life was like for those few who lived there.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Default Re: The Ugliest Landscape

Third-world squalor of corrugated-tin-roofs and scrap wood huts crawling up the steep volcanic hillsides in the Arawak communities of St. Vincent, an otherwise paradisiacal Caribbean Eden.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Blackpool, UK.

Endless 'amusement' arcades, 'kiss me quick' tat, three piers each with their own brand of racist mysoginistic entertainer, 40 miles of concrete sea defences, brown sludgy sea, nuclear power station to the North, chemical factory to the East, fish factory to the South; always know which way the wind is howling. Just out of town, miles and miles of olds in their cars, staring at the sunset clutching their flasks, waiting to die. Horrible men with moustaches everywhere, sidestepping the dog sh*t, on their way to God knows where. I was stuck there for 3 years.

Also, Bucharest.

New housing developments.

i've never been anywhere THAT bad, so my worst really isn't terrible

worst: ohio endless cornfields. i mean, so flat you can see to the end of your vision and it was all corn.

best: the rolling hills of southern Tennessee at the foot of the Appalachian mountains. once you get off the interstate and start winding down through Lynchburg (home of jack daniels) all those little mounds scattered about with a house perched right on top.

Hopewell, Virginia

It belching chemical plants not only puff green/gray smoke into the air, they also stink!

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I don't know about "ugly" but Bucharest is sure a tough place. I had been travelling through Bulgaria, Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia, and the countryside of Romania and loved it all. I never felt unsafe or unwelcome but then we hit Bucharest. The train station was surrounded by empty lots stacked high with garbage. A walk up window was advertising all manner of hard drugs (two types of meth, ketamine, etc..) The sign with prices was clearly posted.

We walked past a power line at head height crossing a sidewalk and promptly ran into two people in street clothes carrying a dead body out of a doorway. We were too obvious, too close, couldn't walk by and pretend we hadn't noticed.

I think that was the only night we didn't leave the hostel.

As for ugliest? American big box mass production.

Or maybe Soviet apartment blocks

These on the outskirts of Minsk were a bit shocking to me as well. They go for miles.

The stretch along the railroad tracks from New York City to just past Baltimore MD. It is amazing and depressing that humans have created and endure those kind of horrific living conditions and spoiled landscape. Yes, I know there are far worse places on earth, but to see that kid of abuse of the land and the people who live there in a country as wealthy and as well-educated as ours is appalling.

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Blackpool, UK.

Endless 'amusement' arcades, 'kiss me quick' tat, three piers each with their own brand of racist mysoginistic entertainer, 40 miles of concrete sea defences, brown sludgy sea, nuclear power station to the North, chemical factory to the East, fish factory to the South; always know which way the wind is howling. Just out of town, miles and miles of olds in their cars, staring at the sunset clutching their flasks, waiting to die. Horrible men with moustaches everywhere, sidestepping the dog sh*t, on their way to God knows where. I was stuck there for 3 years.

Also, Bucharest.

But it inspired this great song by Jethro Tull

Jethro Tull - Up The Pool - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtLtrt6SQZI

I'm going up the 'Pool
    From down the smoke below
    To taste me mum's jam sarnies
    And see our Aunty Flo.
    The candy floss salesman
    Watches ladies in then sand
    Down for a freaky weekend in the hope
    That they'll be meeting Mr. Universe.
    The iron tower smiles down upon the silver sea
    And along the Golden Mile
    They'll be swigging mugs of tea.
    The politicians there,
    Who've come to take the air,
    While posing for the daily press
    Will look around and blame
    The mess on Edward Pier.

There'll be buckets, spades and bingo,
    Cockles, mussels, rainy days,
    Seaweed and sand castles, icy waves,
    Deck chairs, rubber dinghies,
    Old vests, braces dangling down,
    A suntanned stranded starfish in a daze.

I'm going up the 'Pool
    From down the smoke below
    To taste me mum's jam sarnies
    And see our Aunty Flo.
    The candy flosses salesman
    Watches ladies in then sand
    Down for a freaky weekend
    In the hope that
    They'll be meeting Mr. Universe.

There'll be buckets, spades and bingo,
    Cockles, mussels, rainy days,
    Seaweed and sand castles, icy waves,
    Deck chairs, rubber dinghies,
    Old vests, braces dangling down,
    A suntanned stranded starfish in a daze.
    Oh, Blackpool,
    Oh, Blackpool.

Last edited by Rigadog; 10-12-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Juliaca Peru was pretty awful too. It looks much better in this picture than it is. It's the kind of place that has a desperate feel, a place you feel menaced in. It has a half finished feeling and there's a fine dust on everything including the butcher shops run off the backs of moto trikes. But in general, I loved Peru.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Juliaca Peru was pretty awful too. It looks much better in this picture than it is. It's the kind of place that has a desperate feel, a place you feel menaced in. It has a half finished feeling and there's a fine dust on everything including the butcher shops run off the backs of moto trikes. But in general, I loved Peru.

What is that blue abortion crossing the railroad tracks?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Texas, New York City and the entire midwest are equivalent for me. Never going back to any of those places.

Anything near the Pulaski Skyway in New Jersey.

From West Palm Beach, to Miami. It's an orthogonal gridwork of streets massively overloaded with franchise businesses... it seems that there's a Walgreens or CVS on every corner, and a Home Depot or Lowes in the middle of every block..... there's seemingly no variation to the formula, for a 70 mile stretch....

...and it's utterly charmless. You do pass through many towns, as you drive south, but the only way you'd know would be by signs... since there's no distinction to the unbroken pattern.

There are other places in the country like this, as well... but this particular spot is the worst, IMHO.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

A shanty township in Cape Town, South Africa. We found some inspirational people there; people who showed what could be done in desperate circumstances. And then a couple of years later, the husband got drunk and murdered the wife. End of inspirational story.

Goodooga in New South Wales Australia is pretty awful. It's got a population of 260 and although it's only 50km or so from the interesting opal mining town of Lightning Ridge (population about 2000) it seems far more remote. It's on the flatlands in on the edge of the outback; no real jobs, no real trees, no real anything at all. In western NSW, plenty of the shops have metal grills over the shops at night. In Goodooga there seemed to be steel shutters over the pub (the only "shop" in town, I think) windows even during trading hours, and from what I can see in photos I wasn't imagining it.

crossing the Nevada desert into Utah on Amtrak. sat next to a German who muttered... 'nothing but sage brush and gravel as far as the eye can see' A couple of seconds later he turned to me, pointed and exclaimed 'Look! -....... even less!'
    Yma o hyd

Eastern Montana tied with West Texas.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

The Desolation of Trump.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

There's different kinds of ugly. Cookie-cutter suburbs are right up there for me, along with what Oystagirl and I call "Little America" - those horrible, homogenous strips of branded retail lining the chutes that carry the cattle between the suburbs and their jobs. The scars left on the land by industrial-scale resource extraction when it's done without any care for its impact.

I've never been inside the kind of financial institution where "greed is good", but I imagine I'd find them pretty ugly, too. Certainly much more ugly than honest poverty, no matter the extremes to which poverty drives those sentenced to it.

Give me desolation any day. Some may not find this beautiful - I do!

SLIDE00290_edited-1-reduced.jpg
    Last edited by Flying Orca; 10-12-2017 at 08:34 PM.

What are you doing about it?

A slum in Mumbai, an assault on the senses

By the railway.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Where I was born and left @ 17...never to return.

South Chicago Ill.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Where I was born and left @ 17...never to return.

South Chicago Ill.

Maybe not the best choice for a photo, unless there's some racial subtext.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

But some of my favorite music came from south Chicago and from people who left Mississippi to go there.

What's this say about the success of architecture as an influence on the built world?

Dear architects.... please note the smiley
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

It should be noted that the majority of responses here indicate a dislike of "land"scapes that are wholly or partially of man-made environments.

Flying Orca, I agree with you that barren, natural, landscapes have power. I am not much of a fan of flatland (but I admit that I have not visited the NA prairies), but was mightily impressed with the shattered landscape of the Tablelands in Newfoundland's Gros Morne Nat'l Park. I found it fascinating to see the power of wind and freeze-thaw cycles reducing a mountain to broken rubble.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I notice that third world slums all look much the same.

This (of course, for those who know me) is Manila.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Haiti after the last big earthquake.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I also like barren natural landscapes. This summer I visited the Hoover Dam. That area is like the surface of Mars, almost completely devoid of plant life and nothing but raw jagged rock that looks like it was vomited up from deep below just a few weeks or months ago. I found it fascinating and beautiful.
    Last edited by BrianY; 10-13-2017 at 08:19 AM.

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    What is that blue abortion crossing the railroad tracks?

They are moto trykes I think imported from India or Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    A shanty township in Cape Town, South Africa. We found some inspirational people there; people who showed what could be done in desperate circumstances. And then a couple of years later, the husband got drunk and murdered the wife. End of inspirational story.

Goodooga in New South Wales Australia is pretty awful. It's got a population of 260 and although it's only 50km or so from the interesting opal mining town of Lightning Ridge (population about 2000) it seems far more remote. It's on the flatlands in on the edge of the outback; no real jobs, no real trees, no real anything at all. In western NSW, plenty of the shops have metal grills over the shops at night. In Goodooga there seemed to be steel shutters over the pub (the only "shop" in town, I think) windows even during trading hours, and from what I can see in photos I wasn't imagining it.
    About 35 years ago I went to Lightning Ridge. I really enjoyed it. I took a train from Brisbane to the end of the line to Dirranbandi and then hitchhiked a ride on a fuel truck with a guy who had part of his hand gone from a gun accident. I loved sitting in the community hot springs and looking up at dusk and looking up at the blazing stars later. I heard the train is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    About 35 years ago I went to Lightning Ridge. I really enjoyed it. I took a train from Brisbane to the end of the line to Dirranbandi and then hitchhiked a ride on a fuel truck with a guy who had part of his hand gone from a gun accident. I loved sitting in the community hot springs and looking up at dusk and looking up at the blazing stars later. I heard the train is no more.
    I don't think I've been to Lightning Ridge... but I've been to another opal mining town, White Cliffs. It's fine....

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post

worst: ohio endless cornfields. i mean, so flat you can see to the end of your vision and it was all corn.
    No way is that ugly. Boring sometimes, maybe, but it has an awesome beauty like the open sea. When the wind ripples the corn and the sun catches it a certain way it's like ocean waves. Having said that, I imagine living there and harvesting it could drive you nuts.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

^ I was thinking the same and Eastern Montana, and the other great plains of the Midwest seems endless when you are crossing them but not ugly to my eyes.

For me, it really takes the heavy hand of man to make a landscape ugly.
    Skip

Ugliest place I've been personally: Houston, Texas.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)