Thread: Boto Di Piskado restoration project in Bonaire

Default Boto Di Piskado restoration project in Bonaire

The group "boto di piscado" (traditional fishing boat) in Bonaire has the following goals:

• Maintain this important aspect of Bonaire culture;
    • Safeguarding this extreme sport and the bizarre skills required to sail them;
    • Locate, negotiate, mobilize, restore or fabricate hull, mast, rigging, weights and sails;
    • Promote sailing and educate the local community of all ages in areas related to design restoration, construction, maintenance, navigation and racing;
    • Improve the infrastructure for storing and launching the boats.

This video is about this effort: https://vimeo.com/234765553

Watching them work on the boats the last few weeks, they are now on the water:

more pics follow...
    Last edited by Rik van der Vaart; 10-12-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Default Re: Boto Di Piskado restoration project in Bonaire

more pics to follow...

I hope you enjoy watching these pics as much as I have enjoyed watching these tremendous efforts come to fruition.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Cool little boats. This is Bonaire? It looks and sounds Spanish, not Papamientu.
    Lam ply frames and glassing the inside is not exactly preserving any skill,but still cool.
    Were the boats collected from old beaters?
    Nice to see no advertizing on the sails, as most other island raceboats.
    bruce

@Bruce,
    Some boats had to be glassed since the original (ply) wood was really rotted. I agree the wooden-boat skills are not practiced here as with a new boat. Even with new boats made with ply and epoxy are not "traditional skills", but that is a whole different discussion. The lines and hulls are preserved. That is nice.
    These particular boats were laying around Kralendijk. There is one here in Aruba which we want to get to Bonaire and fix up. Also Curacao still has a number of these boats to be collected and shipped to Bonaire. Seems that only Bonaire really wants to do something with them. That is the coolest thing. Also for the young kids, local and foreign, see these vessels come alive...
    Advertising may be preventable, possibly, if we get cultural grants.
    To this end, to preserve the lines, I intend to take off the dmensions of these hulls so that they are recorded.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I remember one of these in Sint Maarten in the 70's.
    18'er named Lazarous. I almost bought it.
    Just great they are being actually collected!

Great stuff!! I assume that these will be racing during Regatta Week? That must be coming up soon, or has just recently passed.

Been there several times for diving. Always like to see the local boats being used.

Thanks,
    Dave

@Dave,
    Thanks for your feedback.
    The boats were restored for the Regatta!
    Races are going on right now! This is the 50th anniversary of their Regatta and it is a great event. The wooden restored sailboats are the centerpiece of the excitement especially for the locals. Kids are loving it too.

Great project! Any video of them racing? I'd like to know more about the "bizarre skills required to sail them."
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rik van der Vaart View Post
    The boats were restored for the Regatta!
    Races are going on right now! This is the 50th anniversary of their Regatta and it is a great event. The wooden restored sailboats are the centerpiece of the excitement especially for the locals. Kids are loving it too.
    That's very cool. I remember they also had some Optis at the sailing club there too. My current one-design boat is a Thistle class.

We were down there once during Regatta Week, usually stayin' at Cap't Don's. Wish we were there now!!

Post some racing pics or videos if you can!

Thanks,
    Dave

Can't upload vids to this forum but here is a link to my blog where I could upload them for your viewing.

Great vids of the races. Here are a few pic of Optimists amidst the preparations for the races and racing themselves. This class has grown impressively. Anneke T. has arranged for a European subsidy to have 20 local kids, who normally would not be able to take sailing lessons, put through sailing school yearly for no charges...

Hope you like the show. Next time go there yourself....

Preperations and Race pics:

@Chris, I wish I had some vids of that mysterious sailing skills. But it seems that they shuffle around the 30k lead ingots in the bilge after or right before tacking. So the skill is not to tip the boat while changing course. They do not have a fixed lead keel, just the lead ballast.