Thread: US pulls out of United Nations Unesco program

Default US pulls out of United Nations Unesco program

This is another FU to the nation, it's citizens and the world.

https://www.ft.com/content/eb4fd094-...2-c6ab5a52c0b9

America has decided to withdraw from Unesco, the United Nations programme responsible for corralling international cooperation on issues such as science and education and designating world heritage sites.The State Department said the decision “reflects US concerns with mounting arrears at Unesco, the need for fundamental reform in the organization, and continuing anti-Israel bias at Unesco.”The country plans to become “a non-member observer state in order to contribute US views, perspectives and expertise on some of the important issues undertaken by the organization, including the protection of world heritage, advocating for press freedoms, and promoting scientific collaboration and education.”Travelers are likely to be most familiar with Unesco through its world heritage sites such as the Grand Canyon National Park and Yellowstone National Park in the US.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2017. All rights reserved.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Default Re: US pulls out of United Nations Unesco program

We are in serious trouble. The disregard of this president of our collective progress, interrelated history and world heritage should scare the crap out you.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Yeah, but all those places are in, like, Mexico, or New Mexico, or something. Like, who even cares about some crumbly old buildings or some stupid river? Can I tube down the river with a cooler? Do they even have WiFi there?

Peace,
    Sad, But Hopeful. Always Hopeful...

His base is loving this; wait for mdh and Daniel to chime in. A thumb in the eye to those do-gooder overeducated schmucks who tell people just who can and can't ride dirt bikes through the Grand Canyon, or strip mine it.

It really doesn't matter if it hurts themselves too, so long as they can stick it to the man.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    His base is loving this; wait for mdh and Daniel to chime in. A thumb in the eye to those do-gooder overeducated schmucks who tell people just who can and can't ride dirt bikes through the Grand Canyon, or strip mine it.

It really doesn't matter if it hurts themselves too, so long as they can stick it to the man.
    There is a place near here that is rife with asbestos. It used to be a popular dirt biking spot until it was closed. Diligent effort reopened it to riding, though they suggest you not go on a dusty day...

Peace,
    Robert

Asbestosis is so much fake news.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Education, science and culture are three things that the trumpies sure don't care for.

We just look stupid, going backwards.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    We just look stupid, going backwards.
    "They're laughing at America."

Well, shaking their heads in stunned disbelief at least. Rueful, embarrassed, hand-wringing-accompanied laughter.

Well, shaking their heads in stunned disbelief at least. Rueful, embarrassed, hand-wringing-accompanied laughter.
    no more doubt - The president is a moron. And those who support him should be ashamed of their own ignorance, short sightedness or compliciency.

I bet you one dollar that Trump is out by Xmas, 25 amendment or the mountain of doodoo that Mueller will have discovered, will make this heap of eavel clowns run for cover (at least they will try to run for cover, but I think there will be a lot of casualties)
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

For us to ask the rest of the world for help seems wrong, somehow.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    There is a place near here that is rife with asbestos. It used to be a popular dirt biking spot until it was closed. Diligent effort reopened it to riding, though they suggest you not go on a dusty day...

Peace,
    Robert
    What does the authorities' insurance provider say about that? Or have they tried the disclaimer method?

Apparently the USA pulled out of UNESCO under Reagan, too, and only rejoined in 2002 under Bush the Lesser. Also, apparently the USA stopped contributing funding to UNESCO under Obama, because of 90s-era legislation that prevents the USA from funding any UN organization that recognizes Palestine as a state. (So much for lip-service to a two-state solution, eh? Can't be treating Palestinians like people, that's bad!).

What are you doing about it?

Words fail me.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Apparently the USA pulled out of UNESCO under Reagan, too, and only rejoined in 2002 under Bush the Lesser. Also, apparently the USA stopped contributing funding to UNESCO under Obama, because of 90s-era legislation that prevents the USA from funding any UN organization that recognizes Palestine as a state. (So much for lip-service to a two-state solution, eh? Can't be treating Palestinians like people, that's bad!).
    Was that '90s legislation under Clinton, perchance?
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLockedLoop View Post
    Was that '90s legislation under Clinton, perchance?
    I have no idea; the article I read didn't say. I'm not sure it matters, anyway; the USA's steadfast determination to staunchly support the ongoing, decades-long screwing over of the Palestinian people does not appear to be partisan in nature.

What are you doing about it?

I have despised this guy since he killed my Birmingham Stallions and the rest of the USFL. Yeah, I know this is that to the millionth power, but I am talking over 30 years ago that I have been aware of and not happy with the guy. But it is like everything he does he does just to make me angry. Just me, personally. It is like having a boss you can't stand doing things just to hack you off because he or she knows you can't do anything about it.

Come to think of it, that is exactly how it feels to me. And to make it worse, I have friends at work who are among the bobbing head dolls who just throw out the 'God, country, the flag' blah blah blah any time he does anything. Well, I have news for them. I am a Christian who actually BELIEVES the message Jesus brought to us, I love my country, and I get chills when I look at that flag, and I truly believe that Donald Trump is evil, stupid, and extremely dangerous to us as a country and our neighbors in this world. And I pray to my God that somehow, someday soon, he is stopped before he does damage the entire world never recovers from.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I hear that the state dept (I use lower case because it almost doesn't exist) consists of Tillerson and an Obama holdover………… and other dept's are about the same.

This can't go on much longer.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)