Thread: Why does the smoke alarm 🚨 battery decide to die at 3:00 AM?

Default Why does the smoke alarm 🚨 battery decide to die at 3:00 AM?

With an ear piercing screech and proclaiming in a HAL like voice "Low Battery" You know it's futile but still you try to turn over and try to ignore it, but in a predictable interval it starts all over again. Until you are forced to get in your car and drive to the 24hr CVS and buy the silly 9V battery that you can't find in the junk draw.

All this and the damn thing is hardwired, why does it need a battery anyway ?

Uuuug now I'm up
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Why does the smoke alarm 🚨 battery decide to die at 3:00 AM?

"The Perversity of the Universe tends toward a maximum." --Discordian Proverb

ďWhat use is a house if you havenít got a tolerable planet to put it on?Ē

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Our new house is just over a year and a half old and all five smoke detectors needed new batteries within a two week period - yep, every damn time they died and started beeping between one and four AM. Sometimes I had a battery but often needed to carry a ladder upstairs while half awake and disconnect the electrical wiring. I've got a twelve pack of nine volts now!
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

Plus, it's not so easy to figure out just where the sound is coming from, which of the many detectors in the house needs the new battery.

The reason for a battery in a hard wired detector is so that it works in case the fire takes out the power or a fire starts during a power outage.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Murphy's law, of course, the same reason the probably of the toast falling jelly-side down is proportional to the difficulty of cleaning the carpet.

There are special extra-long-life 9V smoke detector batteries, but that mainly ensures you're less likely to have an extra one when it starts beeping in the middle of the night.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    With an ear piercing screech and proclaiming in a HAL like voice "Low Battery" You know it's futile but still you try to turn over and try to ignore it, but in a predictable interval it starts all over again. Until you are forced to get in your car and drive to the 24hr CVS and buy the silly 9V battery that you can't find in the junk draw.

All this and the damn thing is hardwired, why does it need a battery anyway ?

Uuuug now I'm up
    Because it can?

Be thankful. Now you have a fresh battery in the thing. You may be very happy about that with the current conditions out there. Be safe. Check them all.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

.... and some (most) houses - mine is 10 years old - have them networked together - if one alarms, they all sound

Rick

One morning at 3, I was awakened by the sound of a smoke detector 3 doors down the street.

I walked out into the back yard in my robe, and found my neighbor, similarly dressed, standing in his back yard.

We conferred briefly as to the circumstances . . . This thing was LOUD, and there seemed to be no activity/fire/calamity at the house in question, so I took it upon myself to walk down there and check it out.

I detoured through the shop, on my way, and armed myself with a 22 oz. Estwing, because you never know what sort of lunatic you may encounter in Hyde Park at 3 AM.

When I arrived at the back porch of the house in question, it became clear that some tenant/college kid had been out on the town and had come home to crash.

Then, the alarm went off, and Ol' Gooberhead didn't have the intellectual horsepower at his/her disposal to pull the battery out of the device, but HAD, indeed, managed to get it off the ceiling intact, lay it on the back porch railing, and go back inside to try and sleep off the effects of Saturday night/Sunday morning.

It was at that point I repeatedly introduced the smoke detector to my little friend, the Estwing 22.

And peace was restored to the valley.

The End.
    Rattling the teacups.

They have lithium 10 year batteries in smoke detectors now. But I find that changing the batteries once a year is sufficient to prevent unwanted noise. So I use the 2 for $10 smoke detectors and replace them every couple years.
    Life is complex.

Good idea to simply replace all of your batteries each fall. Pre-emptive strike.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Change the clocks, change the batteries.

For you civilized folks without DST? Every six months, or so. Donít be cheap about THIS!

Peace,
    Emperor For Life (Iím using my title, so you know Iím serious)

P.S. Joe, the battery is a backup for when the grid is down and your candle powered panini grill falls over while youíre filling the night soil bucket and your sweetie is napping...

It's colder. The battery is less efficient when it's colder, same as you car battery in winter. So that's when it drops below the set parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Good idea to simply replace all of your batteries each fall. Pre-emptive strike.
    That's what we do, same week every year.

Panini grill, and night soil bucket shouldn't be used in the same sentence, just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Panini grill, and night soil bucket shouldn't be used in the same sentence, just sayin'...

I did say night soil, and I did stipulate candle power.

Plus, who doesnít like panini? Even post-apocalyptic trash panda and purslane panini.

Peace,
    Robert

I do it every spring, when we change the clocks. Daylight Savings Time is also my cue to put the screens on the windows, open the crawlspace vents, clean the dryer vent, clean the air-conditioner returns, and vacuum the coils of the refrigerator.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    That's what we do, same week every year.
    As do most intelligent people........ New Year, New batteries

If alarm goes off other than that....... Dinners done
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Even worse when you replace the battery and then it goes off again after a little while. That means it needs the dust blown out, or something is broke, possibly due to radioactive decay of the Californium inside (this sounds like first class BS Joe but I SWEAR I am not lying). *google* No, wait, it's americium-241.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Cool Re: Why does the smoke alarm 🚨 battery decide to die at 3:00 AM?

You ask why?
    It's the luck of the Irish of course.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Ours went off last week: 0400, 0430, 0500. We have 5 in the house. The clue to the faulty one? The spider crawled out. It's always the last one you check.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    One morning at 3, I was awakened by the sound of a smoke detector 3 doors down the street.

I walked out into the back yard in my robe, and found my neighbor, similarly dressed, standing in his back yard.

We conferred briefly as to the circumstances . . . This thing was LOUD, and there seemed to be no activity/fire/calamity at the house in question, so I took it upon myself to walk down there and check it out.

I detoured through the shop, on my way, and armed myself with a 22 oz. Estwing, because you never know what sort of lunatic you may encounter in Hyde Park at 3 AM.

When I arrived at the back porch of the house in question, it became clear that some tenant/college kid had been out on the town and had come home to crash.

Then, the alarm went off, and Ol' Gooberhead didn't have the intellectual horsepower at his/her disposal to pull the battery out of the device, but HAD, indeed, managed to get it off the ceiling intact, lay it on the back porch railing, and go back inside to try and sleep off the effects of Saturday night/Sunday morning.

It was at that point I repeatedly introduced the smoke detector to my little friend, the Estwing 22.

And peace was restored to the valley.

The End.
    The sign of a true carpenter, ......... If it can't be fixed with a hammer

IT CAN'T BE FIXED.........
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It's colder. The battery is less efficient when it's colder, same as you car battery in winter. So that's when it drops below the set parameters.

But, Phil... it’s...uh....usually....the same temperature in a residence year-round, no?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.