Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foot Powered Lathe (Spring Pole Type)

Default Re: Foot Powered Lathe (Spring Pole Type)

Also, my pins are tapered to too fine a point. They need a blunter point, or maybe even better would be the type point on a sailmakerís hook. That super fine, rounded, shouldered type point, you know?

Anyway, blunter points on MkII.

Peace,
    Robert

Most "Dead Centre" tailstocks look to be about 45 degrees of included angle - Using the Mk1 eyeball method.

Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Most "Dead Centre" tailstocks look to be about 45 degrees of included angle - Using the Mk1 eyeball method.

And, that’s what you get for diving in blind! Hehe. That looks like EXACTLY what I planned. Dang, I AM a genius. Harhar.

Thanks for the picture. I’m going to emulate exactly that.

Peace,
    Robert

Except I’m going to use bolts so I can “fine tune” the adjustment, too. A modern adaptation I’ve seen. Very cool.

60į

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    60į
    59, and not a dollar more! Thanks, Brother.

Peace,
    Robert

Okay, after a few days, I can safely say nobody should ever make one of these.

You wonít get anything else done!

31F1032A-1BBE-461A-AF92-C59815A523ED.jpg
    This is how the final version will look. A long piece of all-thread that can be cranked down a bit as the piece is worked without re-wedging. They tend to loosen a bit as they work, and when they get loose, they pop out with force as you step down. Itís alarming.
    Also, the larger diameter and blunter angle require more force to set, but work much better. Much better.

DF1E4617-31C2-420F-A80D-60CA3DCAF733.jpg
    I took a pruned off persimmon branch, rough rounded it with a drawknife and the old number four (it has one knot and some taper, plus was ovalish in cross section.
    Anyway, with one fairly sharp tool I budged out Kng Persimmon. This stuff is HARD, which is supposed to be nice to turn, and it is. It will be when my tools are sharper and I have a real tool rest.

The trick, as Iíve learned thus far, is to go slowly and carve. Itís more of a powered carving than a spinning cutting like a powered lathe, if that makes sense.

Very fun.

Peace,
    Robert

Go for the green stuff. Turning really fresh, wet ash is what a pole lathe excels at.
    And youíre right - you wonít get anything else done.

Quote Originally Posted by St.J View Post
    Go for the green stuff. Turning really fresh, wet ash is what a pole lathe excels at.
    And youíre right - you wonít get anything else done.
    I have a neighbor who just cut down an ash tree. We actually have loads of ash around here. Oak, too. Good for cooperage I learned recently.

Iíll have to try some of this persimmon wet, too. I bet itíd make a great mug/cup. Iím going to use another piece of it to make my mandrel for MkII.

I aim to make MkII freestanding with a lever arm above and the spring below. You know...

By the by, I tried a floating treadle, for lack of a better term, simply to get more travel with less motion. It works well to simple have a stick hanging by a nock from a loop. I was able to use it with either foot with no trouble. It is simply a 1x2, although the stirrup is way better if you arrange a seat.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    It is simply a 1x2, although the stirrup is way better if you arrange a seat.

Peace,
    Robert
    A seat!
    Luxury. That sounds great.

Never used Persimmon. Donít think we have it over here. Turned box on the treadle lathe. Sharp bedan used as a scraper worked.

Looking forward to MkII. (I have a feeling youíll hit Mkumpteen before long)

I was just out futzing with the dumb thing.

I cut some persimmon branches yesterday to clear airspace for the treehouse addition, so had some nice pieces of green wood to turn.

Whoa! What a difference! With a better tool rest and a sharper tool, plus some more practice, I should be cutting cleanly soon, I hope.

The MkII version will have taller stocks so I can try bowls, too, for which I am making a mandrel from persimmon. Hehe. We have a few persimmon trees, so itís handy.

I want to make some sheaves from it with the lathe.

Peace,
    Robert

When you've done with pole lathes you can try a pottery wheel powered by a fly wheel. Specifically an old tyre filled with cement.

But not if you already have a dodgy hip……………….