Thread: Trump approval rating below 40%

Default The consequences of a Trump approval rating below 40%

Since 1966 if the POTUS approval rating is below 50% at the time of the mid-term election his party loses on average 40 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives and 5 seats in the U.S. Senate.

Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 10-11-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    " Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day."

" The truth is that men are tired of liberty."

-- Benito Mussolini

Default Re: Trump approval rating below 40%

Rattling the teacups.

I am dismayed that his approval rating is anything above 10 percent. What are these people seeing that I don't. I just don't get the appeal of this self-serving, billionaire serial sexual abuser.

Can someone who likes him please tell me what it is they like/admire in the man? I am baffled. Is it mainly because he is not a Democrat? Please help me understand.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog
    Can someone who likes him please tell me what it is they like/admire in the man? I am baffled. Is it mainly because he is not a Democrat?
    Of course.
    " Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day."

-- Benito Mussolini

MY overly simplistic math tells me that 35% of all voters if 70% of 50% of all voters.

Kentucky, with their governor AND THE HEALTHCARE PLAN THEY LIKED on the ballot only had a 40% turnout. You can all look up how that worked out.

The 35% of voters who are strong Tump people are going to vote in '18. Who else will? To make his 35% less than half the vote in '18, 80% of the voters will have to turn out. When has that never happened.

GOP candidates are scared to death of primary challenges, because that 35% of everyone, which is 70% of half of everyone, is enough to win primaries, and probably general, elections.

Unless you can figure out how to get Democrats to vote in "18, Republicans are going to pick up seats.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    I am dismayed that his approval rating is anything above 10 percent. What are these people seeing that I don't. I just don't get the appeal of this self-serving, billionaire serial sexual abuser.

Can someone who likes him please tell me what it is they like/admire in the man? I am baffled. Is it mainly because he is not a Democrat? Please help me understand.
    Keep in mind, there's an entire ecosystem of "news" sources that insulate most of his followers from knowing how bad things are.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    MY overly simplistic math tells me that 35% of all voters if 70% of 50% of all voters.

Kentucky, with their governor AND THE HEALTHCARE PLAN THEY LIKED on the ballot only had a 40% turnout. You can all look up how that worked out.

The 35% of voters who are strong Tump people are going to vote in '18. Who else will? To make his 35% less than half the vote in '18, 80% of the voters will have to turn out. When has that never happened.

GOP candidates are scared to death of primary challenges, because that 35% of everyone, which is 70% of half of everyone, is enough to win primaries, and probably general, elections.

Unless you can figure out how to get Democrats to vote in "18, Republicans are going to pick up seats.
    I agree with this, if 40% never vote then 35% is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post

We are talking about a mid-term election. Not a presidential election. I suspect Trump's "base" will not turn out in the numbers you imagine.

As for the possible Democratic voter turnout... fear is a strong motivator.

Meanwhile the well-funded Bannon/Breitbart fringe intend to actively campaign against and undermine every incumbent Republican U.S. Senator apart from Ted Cruz.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 10-11-2017 at 05:17 PM.

-- Benito Mussolini

I expect a huge GOP loss in the mdterms. Right now I cannot image repuboicans keeps ng control of the Senate. The house might be close, it's probable to close to call. But I would predict a democratic win.

The Trumpists will likely have a low turnout. The GOP faithful will have insifficient numbers to maintain any majority.

Lots of independents will go to Dems simply out if dislke for Trump.

What factors favor the GOP? Maybe the economy. But it's a big maybe. Even assuming we are still seen growth, I doubt credit will be given to Trump by voters.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

GOP's best chance? Within the next 3 or 4 months: 25th Trump, force Pence to resign, let Ryan be president. Then, they might save the house.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I expect a huge GOP loss in the mdterms. Right now I cannot image repuboicans keeps ng control of the Senate. The house might be close, it's probable to close to call. But I would predict a democratic win.

The Trumpists will likely have a low turnout. The GOP faithful will have insifficient numbers to maintain any majority.

Lots of independents will go to Dems simply out if dislke for Trump.

What factors favor the GOP? Maybe the economy. But it's a big maybe. Even assuming we are still seen growth, I doubt credit will be given to Trump by voters.

Democrats and independents who caucus with the Democrats will be defending 25 seats in the senate, while Republicans will be defending 8, most of them in fairly safe states. The math is pretty daunting for the Democrats, and if they take the senate, it will be an upset.

The answer, Rigadog, is simple. People are just that stupid. We've got the government the USA, "greatest democracy in the history of the universe", deserves.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Democrats and independents who caucus with the Democrats will be defending 25 seats in the senate, while Republicans will be defending 8, most of them in fairly safe states. The math is pretty daunting for the Democrats, and if they take the senate, it will be an upset.
    My guess is that Mueller will indict between New Year and Easter.

A few Republican Senators may be in jail/forced to resign/ousted.

A boy can dream, right?
    Rattling the teacups.