Thread: supplier for bronze angle?

Default supplier for bronze angle?

I am finding bronze rod, flat, sheet, etc, but no angles. looking for bronze angle, 3/16 - 1/4" thick, 2-3" on a side. Prefer alloy 655, hard.

Please advise,
    Ken

Default Re: supplier for bronze angle?

I had the same problem and found angle here : http://mcmurraymetals.com/ArchTubeAngU.html

Alternatively take a piece of mild steel angle to a foundry and ask if they could cast it in bronze , ask the maximum length too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

you can only buy "architectural bronze" angle. The last time I needed silicon bronze angle, I took a piece of aluminum angle and sand casted it.

I am doing the same thing right now for a pattern for a bronze deck hatch with aluminum diamond plate. it will give me bronze diamond plate.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Perkins View Post
    I had the same problem and found angle here : http://mcmurraymetals.com/ArchTubeAngU.html
    This is alloy 385, does anyone know how it gets along with alloy 655, (or not) ? Alternately, who has experience welding or Brazing #655? I have a wire feed welder, can a barely adequate welder such as myself make this happen with the right gas and wire?

Ken

Since this last post I found a guy that says he can Tig weld silicone bronze. The guy is one of those loud people that I have learned to be suspicious of. Has anyone had experience with this? How about wire-feed? I am a decidedly mediocre welder, but if I got the right wire and gas, would I have a decent chance of success?
    Ken

When I rebuilt my rudder, I had it Tig welded. No wire feed machine I know of will do it right.

Silver solder is a possibility, but Tig is much stronger. Not cheap to get done though.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I have MIG (wire) welded a lot of Silicon Bronze, both spray arc and short arc. It welds beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I have MIG (wire) welded a lot of Silicon Bronze, both spray arc and short arc. It welds beautifully.
    I sit corrected! What do you use for wire & gas?

I have welded silicon bronze using both mig and tig. I'm not a welder. Just a guy who's done it a fair bit. I've always used argon gas.

Edit, to add: That said.... making a piece of angle would be a proper pain in the backside. I'd first purchase if at all possible.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by kbowen View Post
    This is alloy 385, does anyone know how it gets along with alloy 655, (or not) ? Alternately, who has experience welding or Brazing #655? I have a wire feed welder, can a barely adequate welder such as myself make this happen with the right gas and wire?

Ken
    385 architectural bronze is really a variant of free machining brass.

385 brass and 655 silicon bronze are galvanicly compatible, but brass shouldn't be immersed in seawater. The potential difference of all of the copper alloys is within 0.2 volts, so they are all compatible. The usual galvanic series chart is at the end of this guide. http://www.kastenmarine.com/_pdf/mbqMetRef.pdf

Can you weld Si Bronze? Maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHpjdz85WpU pure argon, big machine horizontal only...

Copied from Sequoia (no angle, but easy to plagiarize:>)
    "Alloy 385 architectural bronze is similar to C360 (Free Cutting Brass) with the only significant difference being a slightly higher lead content in C360 for better machinability. 385 architectural bronze is ideal for architectural extrusions, trims, butts, hinges, and lock bodies. With excellent soldering and hot forming properties, 385 architectural bronze is commonly processed by hot forging and pressing, hot forming and bending, and machining. Alloy 385 has good corrosion resistance to weathering and fair resistance to many waters.

655 silicon bronze comes in plate, sheet, strip, wire, rod, and tube product forms. This copper-silicon alloy is characterized by high strength and exceptional resistance to corrosion. It has the strength and toughness of mild steel, is excellent for both hot and cold working and is readily welded. Common fabrication processes for 655 high silicon bronze are blanking, drawing, forming and bending, roll threading and knurling, shearing, squeezing and swaging. 655 silicon bronze comes in plate, sheet, strip, wire, rod, and tube product forms. It is widely used for pole line and marine hardware, welded tanks and unfired pressure vessels."

If you want high strength bronze, there is always Toughmet. Not that you can get it in a reasonable quantity, price or time frame.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Silicon Bronze wire is readily available, in every diameter and spool size. I used to buy it in 10lb spools and most shops around here carry it over the counter. The parent metal likes a preheat to about 400f.
    Gas is Argon. (The book says you can use Helium 75% Argon 25% but I have never tried it. Or more correctly I can't remember using it! I might have and if it worked I wouldn't remember, it has been about ten years since I have done any of it)
    For spray arc you need a machine capable of 350+ amps. Short arc can get by with less but I wouldn't attempt it except on very thin stuff with less than a 250 amp capable machine.

I do quite a bit of (steel) fabrication work and "angle iron" is rarely (never!) on my list of materials. We stock thousands of pounds of various flat stock and no angle. Most angle fabrications and weldments require a different sized leg on either side.
    For bronze fabrication I would buy plate and cut out and then weld the respective sides to the required dimensions.

Silicon Bronze wire is readily available, in every diameter and spool size. I used to buy it in 10lb spools and most shops around here carry it over the counter. The parent metal likes a preheat to about 400f.
    Gas is Argon. (The book says you can use Helium 75% Argon 25% but I have never tried it. Or more correctly I can't remember using it! I might have and if it worked I wouldn't remember, it has been about ten years since I have done any of it)
    For spray arc you need a machine capable of 350+ amps. Short arc can get by with less but I wouldn't attempt it except on very thin stuff with less than a 250 amp capable machine.
    Thanks!

Always learning on this forum...

Try Alaska Copper in Seattle also On line metals Seattle. If not available you may end up having to bend it on a brake. If you end up having to cast it, contact Pete Langly at the Port Townsend Foundry.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-23-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Alaska Copper does have Architectural Bronze angle.

Didn’t Larry Pardey weld his floor timbers out of silicon bronze plate? Or did he cast them?

I believe Larry cast his floors but that was a long time ago! Either way will work. More accuracy with cutting them out of plate, and tacking them in place, prior to tig welding as cast bronze will shrink a bit. Of course. the secret to that is to allow a bit of extra for fitting. The beauty of the bronze floors is that you can bring the frame heels in at a less critical angle and fasten the garboard through a flange on he floors. Fastenings can be bronze macine screws threaded through the floors. Less chance of developing cracked frames at their junction points of attachment to the floors. Elegent!
    Jay

Thank you everyone, I think I will try the Tig dude for the current job and maybe mess around with Mig if I find time to spare. Ken