Thread: The future coming?

Default The future coming?

May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Default Re: The future coming?

I like the idea and think it's the future for outboards you just got to know a 20 pound propane tank has 4.7 gallons at 93,000 BTU per gallon, my 6 gallon outboard tank has 114000 per gallon, so you lose some range.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    I like the idea and think it's the future for outboards you just got to know a 20 pound propane tank has 4.7 gallons at 93,000 BTU per gallon, my 6 gallon outboard tank has 114000 per gallon, so you lose some range.
    I have a propane generator 9500 watts int, 8500 run. I like it a lot! very clean. Outboard would be just great as long as you can get fuel at marinas.

The ones I've seen run regular BBQ tanks. I've only seen two but am guessing it will be the standard, those tanks also come. In 30 and 40 pound versions, it troubles me to see a trout pond with an oil slick on it.

The ones I’ve seen around here are Lehr brand.

https://onlineoutboards.com/lehr-9-9...ard-motor.html

I like the idea myself, but availability of fuel might be a big drawback. I've heard many cruisers complain about trying to find propane in the Caribbean.

Fisheries Supply here in Seattle used to carry them, they no longer do. When I asked why, they said there were just too many problems with them and too many returns.

West Marine sells them around here. (Detroit area)

A BBQ propane tank in an inflatable dinghy seems awkward. I suppose you could get the 5 lb ones...

And isn't it a bit more difficult to judge how much is left in a tank?

I considered buying the Lehr, but ended up buying a Tohatsu 5HP 4 stroke.

The Lehr looked interesting.... but running on a 16 oz propane tank, like that used on bbq's, provides only 20 minutes running time. An external tank would make more sense, but it clearly can't be a standard 20 lb steel tank.... there are special composite tanks available, but they're quite expensive.

Also, the reviews on the LEhr engine weren't good.

I'm glad I bought the Tohatsu.... it's incredibly efficient and completely smoke free. The only hassle is draining the oil from the crankcase at the end of the season, so I can store it in any position... but it's not all that difficult. The engine starts reliably. My only complaint: the gas tank provided by Tohatsu has a pick-up tube inside that has fallen off the fitting a couple of times... I had to replace it with a piece of fuel tubing with a smaller I.D.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Reviews of Lehr's I've seen have been less than good. but the concept is interesting.

I'm just window shopping, I think. Although if I am to use my boat, it will be as a power launch. and 5hp seems a good idea, as the 4hp models no longer take external tanks.

Another factor here is the the guy where I had my motor worked on last said ethanol has been a problem with smaller engines. If I remember what he said correctly. 10 hp and up seemed okay. Under that, many of the motors that came into his shop, mine included, hat ethanol related problems.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Another factor here is the the guy where I had my motor worked on last said ethanol has been a problem with smaller engines.
    I have no doubt that it was a problem in the past.... but I don't believe it's true of modern engines. We've had ethanol in gasoline for a VERY long time now... surely the manufacturers have changed fuel lines, gaskets, etc., to resolve the issue.

I recently traded in my 2001 Honda Magna, for a 2016 Honda Stateline. I had lots of carburetor problems in the Magna which the dealer attributed to ethanol... but the Stateline is fuel injected, and although they still recommend adding some Sta-Bil to each tank of fuel, I'm sure that the ethanol content will not be a problem.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce