Thread: New or old technique ?

Default Re: New or old technique ?

Cool! Not something I can afford, but very neat.

In truth, I see no great advantage, for boat building, unless, it is more cost effective than metal fastenings. The advantage of screws, bolts and rivets is the fact that they draw a joint together. However, when used in conjunction with adhesives this product may be a breakthrough for hanging planking. The sheer factor of lateral loading is also a consideration. I also wonder about the projected longevity of such fastenenings. This is not to say that it is not a viable product for use in building wooden boats. New products, often, take a bit of time to be accepted in certain trades. Heck who wouldn't want to be inspired by the thought of air driven tunnels if cost effectiveness and longevity were to be advantageous!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-10-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    In truth, I see no great advantage, for boat building, unless, it is more cost effective than metal fastenings. The advantage of screws, bolts and rivets is the fact that they draw a joint together. However, when used in conjunction with adhesives this product may be a breakthrough for hanging planking. The sheer factor of lateral loading is also a consideration. I also wonder about the projected longevity of such fastenenings. This is not to say that it is not a viable product for use in building wooden boats. New products, often, take a bit of time to be accepted in certain trades. Heck who wouldn't want to be inspired by the thought of air driven tunnels if cost effectiveness and longevity were to be advantageous!
    Jay
    Yes - I think we'd have to play with one to see if it might have some utility in certain applications. Some possibilities spring to mind... but nothing obvious.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Down in the FAQ section somebody asked about tropical woods and/or oak. The reply:

"In principle, yes. As described in Eurocode 5, table 8.2, attention must be paid to the density of the wood type when fastening wood using pin-shaped connectors. Only woods with a density less than 500 kg/m may be nailed without pre-drilling."

I don't know where white oak falls in the "kg/m3" spectrum but I bet it is up there. I also wonder how much waste there is in making the nails themselves. Not that I dislike the concept, just looking past the marketing.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Jay
    Plastic nails were marketed for double diagonal, these would work there and in edge nailing strip until the glue sets up. They would be too skinny for hanging carvel plank though.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Just hope you never make a mistake and have to pull one out.

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Hey! It's Lignostone! I've always wondered why things made of it weren't more common. Back in the days when high-end cross country skis were made from wood, a typical construction was made up from four or five different layers, each made of small pieces, with a softwood core essentially surrounded by a box made from small hardwood pieces. The running surfaces were generally hickory, treated with pine tar and then waxed. The outside edges of the running surface on better quality skis were a small strip of Lignostone about 1/8" square in cross section. It was resin impregnated (phenolic, I assume) mechanically compressed (under tons of pressure and maybe some heat) beech wood. It made for a much tougher edge than the hickory would have and resisted rounding-off over time in use. I'm not sure the idea of nailing with it will be a big success, but it is very tough stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Down in the FAQ section somebody asked about tropical woods and/or oak. The reply:

"In principle, yes. As described in Eurocode 5, table 8.2, attention must be paid to the density of the wood type when fastening wood using pin-shaped connectors. Only woods with a density less than 500 kg/m may be nailed without pre-drilling."

I don't know where white oak falls in the "kg/m3" spectrum but I bet it is up there. I also wonder how much waste there is in making the nails themselves. Not that I dislike the concept, just looking past the marketing.
    500kg/M^3 is about 31 lbs/ft^3, wood is quite variable, of course, espescially accounting for moisture, but white oak is in the range of 40-45 lbs/ft^3 so a bit heavy in this application.
    Steve Martinsen

Possible uses in strip and double diagonal but nice in house finish work and laid flooring .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Those wood nails won't rot.
    Although what about wracking twisting pulling forces of a moving boat hull. I think you need to use these with glued construction.
    And I doubt they can penetrate well hardwoods used for boat framing, so then predrill holes.

'The nails are made from compressed beech wood. To save the wood of fungal infection and moisture absorption it is infiltrated with 22% of Phenolic resin.'

Roy underhill calls them trunnels. A corruption of tree nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    Roy underhill calls them trunnels. A corruption of tree nails.
    Or, a corruption of "Through Nails" (nails in a trepanned hole!)