Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Christian activists booted from Seattle coffee shop: ‘I’m gay. You have to leave’

Default Re: Christian activists booted from Seattle coffee shop: ‘I’m gay. You have to leave’

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Bottom line is, whilst you are not being hysterical, you are making stuff up.
    Well, educate me. What am I making up? I know I am asking questions that you and others have not answered. I also know that the OP is so disgusting that I can hardly stand to read it. I am offended by the behavior of both sides.

What am I making up?

Can you yet tell me where or how the material was hidden? Do you have any specifics other than a store owner who threatened to have sex in front of the customers said they hid it in his store?

There is one hell of a lot of speculation in the absence of facts in this thread. We have only three direct quotes, one of which was filtered by the media, The other 100 posts are just opinion.
    Yes. So I am asking questions and describing my disgust with both sides. What am I making up?

Default Re: Christian activists booted from Seattle coffee shop: ‘I’m gay. You have to leave’

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Sounds like you need more sunshine.

Hopefully you don't suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.
    As a child I became accustomed to the sun remaining below the horizon for three months in winter. It has never bothered me.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Well, educate me. What am I making up? I know I am asking questions that you and others have not answered. I also know that the OP is so disgusting that I can hardly stand to read it. I am offended by the behavior of both sides.

What am I making up?

Can you yet tell me where or how the material was hidden? Do you have any specifics other than a store owner who threatened to have sex in front of the customers said they hid it in his store?

Yes. So I am asking questions and describing my disgust with both sides. What am I making up?
    A clear statement that you believe he was telling porkies.
    I am not inclined to accept his unsubstantiated and incomplete statement that they were hidden for the other customers to find.
    A decision reached by you based on your unsubstantiated opinion.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    As a child I became accustomed to the sun remaining below the horizon for three months in winter. It has never bothered me.

Glad to hear it.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    A clear statement that you believe he was telling porkies.
    I think the owner was hysterical and that makes his comments untrustworthy.

If I said here what he said in that store, Scot would ban me for life and rightfully so.

A decision reached by you based on your unsubstantiated opinion.
    As your decision is equally unsubstantiated. The remark that you take as truth is uninformed by any second witness or any details at all.

This whole right-to-service law is a double-edged sword. I don't necessarily agree with it, although I think it is badly written, but you and others have to accept it will cut both ways. It does not only work the way you want it to work.

If the customers were asked to leave because their behavior was outside the societal norm (specifically, showing pictures of abortions in a coffee shop) then the owner would be within his rights. He chose to make it about his own sexual orientation, lost his composure, and is now equally in the wrong.

The "Christian" activists did not manage to provoke the owner by harassing his customers outside, so they came in to harass him.

A shopkeeper can kick out people for bad behavior, period. If they won't leave, he can call the cops and have them cited for criminal trespass. Note that he can't refuse to serve them because of their faith, but he can certainly kick them out for offensive behavior.

I won't post the image that upset the owner, but it's here:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/10/09...ripping-blood/

If that doesn't offend you, there's something wrong with you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post

I don't think the question is whether it is offensive. I can't imagine anyone not being offended by that.

The questions are (1) How did it get into the hands of the owner and potentially the customers, and (2) Why didn't the owner keep his head and call the police? He handed that double-edged sword to his enemy and gave them the opportunity they wanted to swing it. Now they are and they will. It was dumb.

Whatever they did outside is irrelevant.

The coffeeshop owner did go way over the top with his rant. Good thing he didn't have a gun.

If I were a Christian (which I'm glad I'm not) I would be deeply offended at having neo-fascist misogynist slimebag troublemakers called "Christian activists."
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff
    The coffeeshop owner did go way over the top with his rant.
    So what?

Provocation elicited the desired response.

Nothing more to see here.
    " Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day."

" The truth is that men are tired of liberty."

-- Benito Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    If a LGBTI person was refused a wedding cake by a baker on the basis of the fact the cake was for an LGBTI wedding, that person would probably be angry, and more than likely take their business elsewhere, leaving the bigoted homophobic baker to stew in their own juice and lose more business and money.

This group of anti-abortion homophobic bigots thought it'd be a great idea to disrupt a private business with their brand of hate. If the shop had have been mine, they would have received more than the verbal lashing they were given. My levels of tolerance for hateful intolerance have evaporated.
    Duncan, you are starting to sound a bit hatefully intolerant, and potentially violent, if I interpolate correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    So what?

Provocation elicited the desired response.

Nothing more to see here.
    Exactly.

Maybe we can take this in another direction.

Why does the image in the above post involve 2 hands painted in the rainbow colors held above the dead fetus?

I mean, gays are not associated with abortion. Isn't this obvious?

What sick mind associates the equal rights for gays and abortion? They have nothing to do with each other.

Could you be specific? That is a genuine request.
    no solicitors on this premises not allowed
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Maybe we can take this in another direction.

Why does the image in the above post involve 2 hands painted in the rainbow colors held above the dead fetus?

I mean, gays are not associated with abortion. Isn't this obvious?

What sick mind associates the equal rights for gays and abortion? They have nothing to do with each other.
    It's about who they hate, not about some logical connection.

It's about who they hate, not about some logical connection.
    That's a hell of a way to live a life! They're just drinking poison.

That's a hell of a way to live a life! They're just drinking poison.
    Well, sure. But unfortunately, hate is what a lot of "Christians" dispense these days.

What are you doing about it?

What a horrible place it would have been for a customer. On one hand you've got images of bloody fetuses, on the other you've got the owner talking loudly about sodomy with people and deities.

That's enough to put me off my food.

And make the coffee taste funny.

I wouldn't go there anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    . . .you've got the owner talking loudly about sodomy with people and deities.
    Hmmmm. Could I pick the deity?

As far as mentioning sodomy, there's a rich English tradition on the subject, especially in maritime circles: "Ashore, it's wine, women and song, aboard it's rum, bum and 'bacca'.

In The Irrepressible Churchill, compiled by Kay Halle (Robson Books, 1985), Churchill is said to have used a certain phrase in 1913, when he was First Lord of the Admiralty. According to 'an ear-witness', he was having trouble with some of his admirals at a strategy meeting. One of them accused him of having impugned the traditions of the Royal Navy, provoking the reply: 'And what are they? They are rum, sodomy and the lash'.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Duncan, you are starting to sound a bit hatefully intolerant, and potentially violent, if I interpolate correctly.
    Not quite. I would have performed 'on-the-spot' surgery by swiftly connecting my steel caps with their gronicles thereby preventing any possibility of unwanted abortions. Potentially medicinal!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

This would be one excellent and positive reason why a shop keeper might pay for old style "protection". (I just was watching Boardwalk Empire).
    Study Peace