Thread: Source for Meranti in central Maine.......?

Default Source for Meranti in central Maine.......?

Hi all, the closest I've been able to find for Meranti is in Gorham which is two hours away. Hamilton Marine in Searsport is the closest boat supply but they only carry okoume and I'm on a beer budget. Any suggestions for something a little closer? Thanks!

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

Default Re: Source for Meranti in central Maine.......?

You could try Rankins in Camden – they are pretty helpful even if they don't have it in stock.

There's also E L Spear in Rockland – they have some marine ply but I don't know what ...

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Quote Originally Posted by Ljaybo41 View Post
    Hi all, the closest I've been able to find for Meranti is in Gorham which is two hours away. Hamilton Marine in Searsport is the closest boat supply but they only carry okoume and I'm on a beer budget. Any suggestions for something a little closer? Thanks!
    Meranti in Maine!?!

you are surrounded by some of the best quality boat building woods in the world and are looking to import inferior stuff from half way across the world? please consider the environment and carbon emissions and climate change, think of the transportation costs to our fragile environment!

Cedar, E W Pine, White Oak, locust Hackmatack what more does one need to build the highest quality craft the world has seen?

get some Marine fir if you need ply, it's stronger for a given thickness and more rot resistant than the tropical plys, at least untill they are drenched in anti fungal poisons... not something I'm interested in breathing in the form of saw dust any way...

It may not be close by but Boulter Plywood in Medford MA had Sapele, Okume, and Murante plywood. A good source for other boat woods as well.

Maine coast lumber ... Don't know if they're close to you but a few years ago, if I wasn't in a hurry to get it, they said they would ship plywood from their location to central MA for a minimal fee the next time they had a truck coming this way. I imagine they go up your way every so often...

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Meranti in Maine!?!

get some Marine fir if you need ply, it's stronger for a given thickness and more rot resistant than the tropical plys, at least untill they are drenched in anti fungal poisons... not something I'm interested in breathing in the form of saw dust any way...
    Oh come on - most marine fir ply is basically pretty poor stuff, with bad surface veneers, too many voids, and it checks badly unless epoxied and glassed (or dynel). Meranti ply isn't great, but it's a lot better than fir!

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Maine Coast lumber also has a store in Portland/Westbrook. Atlantic Hardwoods in Portland can get it, too.
    You could also call Day’s lumber in Freeport or Fat Andy’s in Yarmouth.

Looks like Maine Coast Lumber has been sold! To Downs and Reader in Gorham, Maine.
    http://downesandreader.com/mcl/

Press release... https://www.onlineprnews.com/news/83...to-gorham.html

Dosen't look like the York or Westbrook yards are open!!

I have dealt with both Downes & Reader and Maine Coast Lumber for many years. Good people.

They deliver widely, but maybe not in your direction. Ask.

I would only buy from Boulter if i'd put eyes on the goods.

Thanks for all the insight. Looks like a road trip in my future.

I'll throw out another supplier - Seacoast Hardwood, Sanford, ME. A small operation and really great people to do biz with. I recently bought 5 sheets of meranti and the price was 10%-15% less than Downes & Reader (depending on thickness). They also have a lot of various hardwoods in rough cut as well as finished sizes. I have purchased a few pieces of "cut-offs" for knees & stems and the like for a punt I built last winter and a lapstrake skiff I've started this Fall.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Meranti in Maine!?!

you are surrounded by some of the best quality boat building woods in the world and are looking to import inferior stuff from half way across the world? please consider the environment and carbon emissions and climate change, think of the transportation costs to our fragile environment!

Cedar, E W Pine, White Oak, locust Hackmatack what more does one need to build the highest quality craft the world has seen?

EW Pine and white oak are the best materials ? news to me .
    Meranti (aqua tek/hydro tek),except for one issue, weight, is far superior to okume.
    WE are talking about plywood here right?

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Just bite the bullet, do the roadtrip, unless some here on the forum has indicated that the closest place to you is safe to buy from sight unseen. If possible, look at the stuff at all suppliers that you could hit in a single day, but do your phoning for prices, availability etc. beforehand. Talk to people, don't assume that's what is on a supplier's website is exactly what they have. This summer I bought both some 4mm and some 6mm and 9mm marine Meranti ply from two different suppliers and the quality difference was astounding. I didn't look at the 4mm stuff too closely at the store but when I got it home I noticed it had a lot of voids visible on the edges. The thicker plywood from the other supplier seems to be decent; I haven't cut into it yet, but the edges have no visible voids and it has a hydrotek stamp.

A two hour roadtrip to marine plywood, you got it good! The closest marine plywood to me is 6 hours drive + an expensive overnight ferry ride away, so I only buy it if I'm travelling near a supplier anyway, which is only about once or twice a year.

Seriously, on a beer budget you might as well build a beer boat (out of local lumberyard plywood, and it lasts as long as it lasts). Or you delay your boatbuilding by a bit until you can afford it using only the best. I have found that in building there are always unanticipated costs, but also unanticipated time delays, which may make it easier to save up more money.

It's been a long time since I lived in New Hampshire. But - at the time - Boulter had the best selection, delivered reliable quality, and shipped all over. That would be my first call. But maybe they've changed?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

When I started building the Ohio Sharpie a few years ago I purchased eight sheets of Meranti of various thickness from Boulter. If my memory serves, it cost about $60 to ship it here, SE Georgia, from Massachusetts by Fed Ex ground.

You can burn up that much gas just running around in New England looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Meranti (aqua tek/hydro tek),except for one issue, weight, is far superior to okume.
    I have had lotsa trouble with oak and epoxy. Gougeon Bros have somethin to say about that at
    http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/epoxy-with-oak/

We often confuse Aquatek and Hydrotek, probably because of the water aqua-hydro thing. According to my supplier, it is best not to confuse them. Apparently Aquatek is not recommended for wet applications. Read some more at
    http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Stor...d_linecard.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mo 'Poxy View Post
    I have had lotsa trouble with oak and epoxy. Gougeon Bros have somethin to say about that at
    http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/epoxy-with-oak/

We often confuse Aquatek and Hydrotek, probably because of the water aqua-hydro thing. According to my supplier, it is best not to confuse them. Apparently Aquatek is not recommended for wet applications. Read some more at
    http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Stor...d_linecard.pdf
    I don't think there's as much difference between the two as you suggest. Same veneers, same plant, same glue, same process. Just that one is built to the higher 1088 standard, and one to the lower 6566. But even the 6566 is a very good panel. But if you want a true 'marine plywood' aim for the 1088. Problem is - the BS6566 is no longer a recognized standard by the rating agency. And the 1088 is not often policed/enforced. So we are reliant on the quality of our suppliers. I've had very good experiences for years with both the Aquatek and the Hydrotek.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

wow there's a load of good info in here. I've been hunting around for some wood for a future build, and I hadn't even heard of, or considered half these places.

A very valuable resource this website is!

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    Looks like Maine Coast Lumber has been sold! To Downs and Reader in Gorham, Maine.
    http://downesandreader.com/mcl/

Press release... https://www.onlineprnews.com/news/83...to-gorham.html

Dosen't look like the York or Westbrook yards are open!!
    yup, I was up there getting some nice Marine fir... Made right here in the USA!!!... about a month before they up and moved, aparently they could not keep up with the Rental demands, the Marijuana Grower next door offered the land lord more money than MCL ever could.

just like the Tulip bubble in Holland 300+ years ago, this invasive weed is displacing productive, useful, indigenous industry.

now you have jumped the shark

now you have jumped the shark

Gotta love "Happy Days"! ...

you'll have to swing by Harold Burnhams boat yard in Essex Ma... he'll set you straight in quick order.

How much American oak has he torn out of boats ya think?
    More or less than I?

Call Atlantic Plywood in Westbrook. They are a wholesaler, but ask them who they sell to in your area. They carry meranti aquatek (bs6566), which I've bought a lot of without any problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    When I started building the Ohio Sharpie a few years ago I purchased eight sheets of Meranti of various thickness from Boulter. If my memory serves, it cost about $60 to ship it here, SE Georgia, from Massachusetts by Fed Ex ground.

You can burn up that much gas just running around in New England looking for it.
    I also found it cheaper to have Boulter ship me a load of meranti for my Point Comfort 23 build, than it was to source locally. Their prices are good, and I don't have to haul it myself.
    Cricket

Goose Bay Lumber in Chichester NH. Big selection-- Meranti, Okoume, Marine A/B Fir, great selection of lumber too including harder to find stuff. Owner dabbles with wooden boats, wood surfboards, etc and has a vested interest in attracting wooden boat builders.

https://goosebaylumber.net/