Thread: Hoop Pine in carvel construction?

Default Hoop Pine in carvel construction?

Greetings,

There's a boat currently for sale in Brisbane that the owner claims is built of carvel planked Hoop Pine. The boat was built in Sydney in 1967. I know Hoop Pine is fairly popular in Australia in any of the construction methods that involve finishing with glass or epoxy but I have not heard of it being used in a carvel boat and when I checked the NSW DPI guide to boat building timbers it states that Hoop Pine has low durability in marine craft.

I refer to the DPI guide often but don't actually have a clue what the different strengths etc actually mean. I just figure 'high' is good and 'low' is bad.

This particular yacht is 50 years old and looking good but maybe there's been a lot of planks replaced over the years. Does anyone have experience with carvel planked Hoop, particularly regarding longevity?

Default Re: Hoop Pine in carvel construction?

Hopefully Peter Sibley will stop by, he knows about this stuff. And Rick.

Thanks Phil, I too am hoping that Mr Sibley shows up. I saw a mention he made of a boat that was planked in Hoop pine and was going strong after thirty years (or similar). It was in a thread about something else entirely and I tried to contact him but apparently his mail box is full. His was the only reference I have been able to find.

I worked on a hoop pine launch in a yard on Morton Bay. It was 60 or so years old and had been in perfect condition while it lived on a mooring but the trouble started when it was moved to a calm water canal mooring . The bottom was coppered but the nails around the top edge of the copper had let go and on the calm mooring the space behind the copper filled with rain water rather than salt on the rougher bay mooring. Before the boat was moved into the calm canal she was in good condition

The result was bad, the hoop pine around the waterline rotted and we had to replank a 250 mm wide strip.
    So to recap, hoop can last very well in the right conditions but it isn't very forgiving. If I was building new with it I'd have it pressure impregnated.

I hope this helps .

PM boxed emptied.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That is helpful. I know that fresh water is problematic with any timber (maybe less with Huon), which is why we all used to throw salt in the bilges. Nowadays everyone seems to want dry bilges which is good if you can get it. Certainly glassed ply decks have helped to keep the fresh water out of bilges.

I am going to pass on the Hoop Pine yacht because as well as my having doubts about this timber, the vessel has no provenance. Two owners in a row who were new to boats and the designer's and builder's names have been lost. The $100K refurb was carried out by the haul-out yard and maybe a shipwright there did their apprenticeship in timber planking but chances are good that they didn't.

Thanks

Ouch. 100k refurb. I wonder what they got for that, and what the boat is worth. Got a link to an ad?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Ouch. 100k refurb. I wonder what they got for that, and what the boat is worth. Got a link to an ad?
    Yes, I'd like to see her.
    Grateful Dead

Here's the link: http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...IMBER-CLASSIC/

Asking $34,500 here but only $29,900 on Gumtree. She is also on with a dealer on Yachthub.

The owner sent me receipts for all work that was carried out by his friend in 2012 but they weren't very legible and didn't tell much of a story. It's all genuine though and someone will get a great deal. Particularly with her now under $30K.

Here are the other links for more pics. I must admit that I do have a few aesthetic quibbles with her design and styling but I am know that I am being picky - looking for reasons not to rush up there.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...-offers/207803

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toow...ent/1147286544
    Last edited by Fraser Forsyth; 10-11-2017 at 12:49 AM.

A good looking boat. A friend launched his Randell "Rugged" a couple of years after her but with pressure impregnated hoop pine planking and she is still perfect, no rot at all.
    Grateful Dead

Peter, there's a Rugged for sale in QLD that was built out of Hoop by the owner. Likely the same boat. The info about her being Hoop Pine was in the introductory patter before opening the page.

Here's the link

https://www.tradeboats.com.au/detail...-rugged-344540

Yes, that's the one . A very good boat that I would heartily recommend. Her owner and builder is a boatbuilder by trade and a very honest man.

She's the first boat ever I sailed on.

Grateful Dead