Thread: "Trust in your own instincts"

Default "Trust in your own instincts"

Some people have asked as to why I am so intense in my work? And why I always try to do my own personal best in all that I do. My Swedish Grandfather, who was a fine home bulder in Chicago, once said, of his own work, "The Best is none too good!" I always try to keep to his philosophy in my own life and work.

Some people may say that I am and artist. But, I must confess that I truly immerse my self completely in any endeavor I am involved in. It is my belief that the true artist goes through life leaving pieces of his or her soul where ever he goes and in every thing he does.

I find that when I am truly concentrating on my work, the ills of the world do not attack my mind and cause me distress for that which I cannot cure other than to give my sincere and sympathetic support to those who are affected and to the concepts of correction. It was Tacitus who said, "Success has 100 fathers and failure is a single orphan!"

I always hope that my own works are of benefit to someone other than myself. It was L. Francis Herreshoff who impressed me by once saying, "Trust in your own instincts!"
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-08-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Default Re: "Trust in your own instincts"

Depending upon what I'm doing, my standard will range from economical to the very best I can manage no matter the cost.

And then there's a dairy down east that mentions how their milk is

"Good as any. Better than most."

I always figured you are that way Ian, just from reading your posts!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Depending upon what I'm doing, my standard will range from economical to the very best I can manage no matter the cost.

And then there's a dairy down east that mentions how their milk is

"Good as any. Better than most."

I especially like that term, "economical."

Jeff

In this case, "economical" is so much more than cheap. Rather, it's the most material/money/labor cost-effective to meet carefully thought through goals of durability and appearance.

Some things can only be done right. For example, splices in rigging that look sloppy are malformed and will either cause breakage or will fail sooner or later. Others, like Marmalade's "fifty foot" paint job which is quickly applied semi-gloss Kirby's white by low nap roller - not tipping - serves the purpose of protecting a boat that is not meant for any concourse d'elegance. And on a big boat like Granuaile, I fell in love with semi-gloss white exterior latex, rolled on. I could cover the whole boat in a three beer session.

Some things you pay a penalty. Real varnish really does require all that work to be properly reflective and protect the wood. If you do less that a half dozen coats, if you think hot coating saves anything, if you use scotch pads rather than really flattening the surface, you get a finish that not only does not look right, but also won't last more than a year without serious take down. That's a lot more work than dealing with a job that was started right and then just requires the quickest of annual for a decade or two. On the other hand, if you want a functional clear coat that's fast on with just a coat or two and can be perked up with a quick annual, something like Sikkens or Deks Olje might meet your needs.

The more you experiment with short cuts, the more mistakes you will learn from. And by that measure, I'm the smartest guy on this Forum.

" Trust your instincts, Luke ' - from Star Wars.

Sound advice then and now. :-)
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

LFHerreshoff The Common Sense of Yacht Design
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    In this case, "economical" is so much more than cheap. Rather, it's the most material/money/labor cost-effective to meet carefully thought through goals of durability and appearance.

Some things can only be done right. For example, splices in rigging that look sloppy are malformed and will either cause breakage or will fail sooner or later. Others, like Marmalade's "fifty foot" paint job which is quickly applied semi-gloss Kirby's white by low nap roller - not tipping - serves the purpose of protecting a boat that is not meant for any concourse d'elegance. And on a big boat like Granuaile, I fell in love with semi-gloss white exterior latex, rolled on. I could cover the whole boat in a three beer session.

Some things you pay a penalty. Real varnish really does require all that work to be properly reflective and protect the wood. If you do less that a half dozen coats, if you think hot coating saves anything, if you use scotch pads rather than really flattening the surface, you get a finish that not only does not look right, but also won't last more than a year without serious take down. That's a lot more work than dealing with a job that was started right and then just requires the quickest of annual for a decade or two. On the other hand, if you want a functional clear coat that's fast on with just a coat or two and can be perked up with a quick annual, something like Sikkens or Deks Olje might meet your needs.

The more you experiment with short cuts, the more mistakes you will learn from. And by that measure, I'm the smartest guy on this Forum.
    Second smartest, I promise.

This is as lovely as the OP.

Thanks gents.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. As for myself, I seem to have a predilection for making everything I do look as slapdash as possible, no matter how often I scratch my head or butt, nor how far I stick my tongue out the corner of my mouth, whether I’m working in gold-plated unobtanium, or common floor dirt, I always seem to end up with something just almost not wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Some people have asked as to why I am so intense in my work? And why I always try to do my own personal best in all that I do. My Swedish Grandfather, who was a fine home bulder in Chicago, once said, of his own work, "The Best is none too good!" I always try to keep to his philosophy in my own life and work.

Some people may say that I am and artist. But, I must confess that I truly immerse my self completely in any endeavor I am involved in. It is my belief that the true artist goes through life leaving pieces of his or her soul where ever he goes and in every thing he does.

I find that when I am truly concentrating on my work, the ills of the world do not attack my mind and cause me distress for that which I cannot cure other than to give my sincere and sympathetic support to those who are affected and to the concepts of correction. It was Tacitus who said, "Success has 100 fathers and failure is a single orphan!"

I always hope that my own works are of benefit to someone other than myself. It was L. Francis Herreshoff who impressed me by once saying, "Trust in your own instincts!"
    Jay
    Nicely said Jay - for me I’d simply like to live up to my own expectations and will keep trying. One day perhaps, there’s always something that could have been done better, a compromise that I wish I’d not made or a shortcut that probably shouldn’t have been taken.

Having said that, I do try to go through life with no regrets and so to try to avoid doing something that I will regret.....the measure of success to that endeavour, however, is usually quite subjective.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

As a relatively young guy who hasn't had the chance to develop instincts, I sure do appreciate the wealth of insight, knowledge, and wisdom that this forum perpetuates. It helps me develop good instincts.

Thanks guys.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

"I would not be one of those who will foolishly drive a nail into mere lath and plastering; such a deed would keep me awake nights. Give me a hammer, and let me feel for the furring. Do not depend on the putty. Drive a nail home and clinch it so faithfully that you can wake up in the night and think of your work with satisfaction--a work at which you would not be ashamed to invoke the Muse. So will help you God, and so only. Every nail driven should be as another rivet in the machine of the universe, you carrying on the work." H.D. Thoreau, Walden.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Nicely said Jay - for me I’d simply like to live up to my own expectations and will keep trying. One day perhaps, there’s always something that could have been done better, a compromise that I wish I’d not made or a shortcut that probably shouldn’t have been taken.

Having said that, I do try to go through life with no regrets and so to try to avoid doing something that I will regret.....the measure of success to that endeavour, however, is usually quite subjective.
    Larks, I must concur that we are on the same page!
    Jay