Thread: New diesel outboard.

Default New diesel outboard.

Might have to build something to take this. Maybe about a 15' -18' center console?

http://www.yanmarmarine.com/News-det...ESEL-OUTBOARD/
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: New diesel outboard.

I'd want to hear one run first. The last generation were Gawdawlful loud!
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Very interesting! I can imagine replacing our small diesel with one of those in the future if needed. (Which I hope to not EVER have to do.)
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

A price window would be nice. It will probably be quite a while before they certify it in the US.

Why? Gas outboards work great, and likely cost half the price of this diesel outboard.

If you operate where gasoline is scarce, or super expensive, it makes some sense. Also, if you have a large boat, a diesel outboard allows using the same fuel for the tender as for the prime movers. But for most boaters, in most of North America, I can't see it.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Weight will be an issue. But as it relates to diesel versus gas, I am on the opinion that you would not be required to carry as much fuel on boats with gas outboards. For sure the cost will be a consideration. But years ago before the industry lost the use of the old style inboard diesels, there were diesel outboards and work boats got twice the hours out of them before being regulated off the water. I actually called several outlets today and ask about this very setup. To date they have only had a seminar on them. No specs have been provided to any one of them.
    WBF=DNC

Modern materials and injection tech will most likely make it similar in weight to a 4 stroke gas outbosrd.
    Better fuel efficiency and not having gasoline aboard would be a big plus for me.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Back in another life when I had my boat yard, we were Yanmar dealers. We installed a 27 hp Yanmar diesel outboard on the swimstep of a 48 sport fisher, with full set of controls. The owner, who had made his living as a towing company on the Columbia, loved to fish, and the big Detroits were too fast to go after salmon.
    Engine was very smooth and quiet, no smoke, and had so much torque the owner loved to come into the dock under the outboard alone.
    The main use of these at the time was for commercial fishermen who needed torque for heavy loading, and were tired of throwing away their gas outboards after two seasons.
    The EPA in their wisdom, made these great engines illegal to sell due to emissions, so they never had much chance o gain any real foothold in the market.
    Owners of large yachts will be interested in this new engine as it will obviate the need for carrying gasoline for the tenders. From the article, it sounds like the performance even in terms of top speed and coming onto plane is the same as a 70 hp gas, very impressive.

Weight is the key. In smaller boats you want as little as possible hanging off the stern, obviously.

The modern 2-strokes are a lot cleaner than they used to be, and very light.

But I do like my diesel inboard, a Farymann.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    Back in another life when I had my boat yard, we were Yanmar dealers. We installed a 27 hp Yanmar diesel outboard... Engine was very smooth and quiet, no smoke, and had so much torque the owner loved to come into the dock under the outboard alone.
    Thanks for relating your real world experience, Paul. I've often wondered about those 27 hp Yanmars. With ethanol perhaps increasing to 15% content in gas (and potential continued problems) a diesel option will appeal to some. https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2016...es-boaters.asp
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Whoever gets round to making a 10-15hp diesel outboard will make a fortune supplying the small yacht industry who can then offer even bigger interior options on the small sailboat market. I got as far as making an adaptor plate for a 6hp chinese diesel to mate to a Seagull leg (large 12in prop), but the noise was too much and a cowling would have been too large. Its as much for economy in Northern Europe, as it is for storage of non explosive (in comparison) fuel.

To create the Dtorque 111 the German developer and manufacturer Neander deconstructed conventional small-diesel engineering to first principles. The result is a two-cylinder common-rail turbo charged diesel engine, using a unique system of dual counter-rotating crankshafts in an aluminum block, which dramatically reduces the vibration levels that a conventional small two-cylinder diesel engine would normally generate. This technology with a patented 'Spaceball' design not only achieves less vibration but also less noise, lighter boat handling and less stress on the engine.
    This all sounds pretty pricey, on top of the extra cost to start with for any diesel. But if they could downsize it to replace 10-15 hp. gas motors, I'd be thinking.
    -Dave

So I got a feed for this on Facebook.

The Price

29,000 euros

About $34,000

I'm outta here.

Noted that the basic design was done in Germany.

A very good German friend of mine says : "You know, Germans are absolutely tops in engineering design and manufacturing, although they may be beaten in other aspects of the business".

Whatever piece of German equipment (electrical and electronic) that I came across during my professional life has left a lasting impression on me, as to their meticulous design.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt G View Post
    About $34,000
    I wonder how that would compare to a new 50+hp diesel inboard with installation of fuel tanks, running gear, controls, instrument panel, through hulls for water cooling, bed logs, occasional alignments and comparable maintenance, etc.

It sounds fantastic.
    I'd reckon the first and biggest buyers will be the military , and emergency services.
    I'd still prefer an inboard diesel , for what I want to do.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I wonder how that would compare to a new 50+hp diesel inboard with installation of fuel tanks, running gear, controls, instrument panel, through hulls for water cooling, bed logs, occasional alignments and comparable maintenance, etc.
    European prices can be misleading because of the VAT taxes. The US price could be less, and might compare favorably with an inboard installation.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Thanks for relating your real world experience, Paul. I've often wondered about those 27 hp Yanmars. With ethanol perhaps increasing to 15% content in gas (and potential continued problems) a diesel option will appeal to some. https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2016...es-boaters.asp
    There are a lot of those old Yanmar 27 diesels around in the Pacific Islands, Philippines and Indonesia, generally on small fishing boats. Very reliable, long lived, economical engines, but you need to be fairly strong to hand start one.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I had a pair of the 27's running a FG workboat runabout (little like a light Radon, with a short cab). Used it as a daily driver/commuter for years, as well as weekend fish boat.They were amazing, reliable and economical, unlike the many gas outboards before and since. Offshore trolling for a full day would use 8 gallons of diesel or so, daily commuting used a gallon a day at most. I sold them in a fit of pique when parts started to be hard to get, one of the dumbest things I've done. Actually have two now, a 36 and a 27, awaiting some attention and installation on various boats. Parts available, but expensive and slow to acquire.