Thread: Confession thread : I look at new plastic race boats.

Default Confession thread : I look at new plastic race boats.

I wonder if it is a matter or time or is just the nature of loving boats.

Example: I saw an L30 in sail past us last week making 7 plus knots. She is fun as designed: a reasonably priced new practical trailer racer at 30 feet.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Default Re: Confession thread : I look at new plastic race boats.

Smack yourself in the head and get over it. Look at the sheer just for starters. And would you really want to spend time in such a toxic environment? They feel awful, they sound awful. They have no soul. They totally lack interest and character, all they do is sail quite quickly. Next you'll be drooling over skinny 23 year old college girls and thinking they would be fun to spend time with.

Looks like a well thought-out boat.

I'm afraid that sheer would be a deal breaker for me.

Oh Ted. It's human nature for the eyes to stray, but remember where you belong.

I have a confession too. (This is starting to sound like an AA meeting) I actually BOUGHT a plastic boat. It is covered with, and filled with, teak, and I admit I may have become mesmerised. She complements my real wooden boat, and I have no further desirous thoughts of any other boats now.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Smack yourself in the head and get over it. Look at the sheer just for starters. And would you really want to spend time in such a toxic environment? They feel awful, they sound awful. They have no soul. They totally lack interest and character, all they do is sail quite quickly. Next you'll be drooling over skinny 23 year old college girls and thinking they would be fun to spend time with.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Shoot, I follow the RC44 class on Facebook, and also the TP52's. I can at least understand what's happening on those boats.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

The sheet on that winch is fouled.

What winch?

That's ok. I work with a guy who lusts after carbon racing toys. His toilet seat is carbon. On a Bavaria 38. We all have our faults.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

That is a winch she is a Wench!
    Bird

While I can appreciate all of the technology that went into this design for performance and ease of operation, I fear I would have the same feeling that a sardine has when it is taken from the sea in a net and placed in a can!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Built by the kilometer & sold by the meter.

Before one gets too woodenboat snobby about this boat, take a look at the racing dinghies of the 30s, plumb stemmed, ruler sheer lines flat sterned.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

If i couldnt spent time tinkering and rebuilding the boat it would never feel like it was propperly mine
    Ragnar B.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Before one gets too woodenboat snobby about this boat, take a look at the racing dinghies of the 30s, plumb stemmed, ruler sheer lines flat sterned.
    You are right of course, it's not even very innovative.

Ben is of course right, and the clipper bow and classic Metre-boat spoon bow were also thought to be ugly when they were new. While appearance is a matter of taste, I still find the accommodation layout to be bizarre. It claims to be a cruiser but has only three bunks; no table; nowhere to sit apart from on the vee berth extensions and perhaps one place in the separate aft cabin; no privacy in the vee berth; and a one burner stove. And it all seems to be in aid of creating a separate head, which has been done even in smaller lift keel lightweights with much better results.

I like listening to that language and I like the boat's features alot.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Ben is of course right, and the clipper bow and classic Metre-boat spoon bow were also thought to be ugly when they were new. While appearance is a matter of taste, I still find the accommodation layout to be bizarre. It claims to be a cruiser but has only three bunks; no table; nowhere to sit apart from on the vee berth extensions and perhaps one place in the separate aft cabin; no privacy in the vee berth; and a one burner stove. And it all seems to be in aid of creating a separate head
    Isn't this kind direction always the beginning of a new line of boats. certainly the wooden racer I have has many of the spartan characteristics these boats have. The cruising aspect of them is only for the most hardy souls. 3 pipe berths are perfect for a rotation or a long weekend overnighting. The one burner cooker for coffee, soups or pressure cooker - Herrshoff himself would approve.

What i am happy to see in this design is a swing away from the J boats which are for the most parts bland racing sleds which have gotten further out of reach for most new middle class sailboat owners who want to sail one designs. Any new race sailing boat 30 feet in length for under 85k could become future universal fleets around the world. To me, that isn't a bad thing to see them begin to expand influence. Heck, I'd love to charter one for a few days with some close friends in some super locations doing some competitive races - that would be a blast.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-11-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quite a few french designs with very similar lines that can be built in plywood, lighter than glass, so better performance with less sail, or faster with the same. No need to be tempted to the dark side.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Isn't this kind direction always the beginning of a new line of boats. certainly the wooden racer I have has many of the spartan characteristics these boats have. The cruising aspect of them is only for the most hardy souls. 3 pipe berths are perfect for a rotation or a long weekend overnighting. The one burner cooker for coffee, soups or pressure cooker - Herrshoff himself would approve.

What i am happy to see in this design is a swing away from the J boats which are for the most parts bland racing sleds which have gotten further out of reach for most new middle class sailboat owners who want to sail one designs. Any new race sailing boat 30 feet in length for under 85k could become future universal fleets around the world. To me, that isn't a bad thing to see them begin to expand influence. Heck, I'd love to charter one for a few days with some close friends in some super locations doing some competitive races - that would be a blast.
    To me it's not a "direction" thing but a functional one. I spent years living on a 2 ton 28 foot boat and I've done Sydney-Hobarts on lightweight 30 footers. I love small, light boats - it's just this particular layout that I find very odd.

If you're sitting down there with the kids on a weekend cruise, what do you do? Everyone would be crammed onto the Vee berth or its extensions, eating off their laps and probably with tangled feet, and two of them would have no backrest. Would that work for an hours comfortable chat after a meal? They show a DVD player in one pic, but where do you watch it from? How do you operate that galley? Where's the food storage? Where's the sail storage? Where does the safety gear go? What about the nick nacks for cruising, or the bedding? One of the versions has only 3 bunks, the other what looks like a very tight entrance into the fourth bunk.
    Last edited by Chris249; 10-11-2017 at 07:35 AM.

I honeymooned on my Tumlaren.

I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Quite a few french designs with very similar lines that can be built in plywood, lighter than glass, so better performance with less sail, or faster with the same. No need to be tempted to the dark side.......
    As i get older and recognized the limits of time we have, the less interested in building a boat I become. Moreover It is hard to convince others to buy into a newly designed plywood boat for equal price

What other modern 30' race cruisers that could have serious fleet potential can you have made for under 85k US?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I honeymooned on my Tumlaren.
    Young love.

Ask her again if she would honeymoon on one again. If she says yes, renew your vows asap!

ZIRCON - $10,000

Tumlaren "Zircon" just antifouled. Previous slipping she was fully wooded and then had 4 coats of primer. About 11 years ago Zircon was completely refastened, with a new deck and mostly new deck beams. Sails in good condition. Main needs repair. No outboard. Zircon is in Sydney
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-11-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    As i get older and recognized the limits of time we have, the less interested in building a boat I become. Moreover It is hard to convince others to buy into a newly designed plywood boat for equal price

What other modern 30' race cruisers that could have serious fleet potential can you have made for under 85k US?
    Valid personal point. I dont see that as more than a coastal weekender,due to bad interior fit out, so i consider it quite expensive.
    As i have no interest in racing or fleet potential.....i bow out at this point. That mainsail do set nice though.....

What sheet?
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[