Thread: 59 Pages on the Bowline

Default 59 Pages on the Bowline

Vince probably already knows of this.

http://www.paci.com.au/downloads_pub...s_Analysis.pdf

Default Re: 59 Pages on the Bowline

Sounded stale, but oh, I love it! Clear display of the PRINCIPLES knot dynamics rather than the tired old "this is the way we do it" recipies. I was very interested in the "cowboy" bowline (tail outside rather than inside the eye) and whether my impression is right that it works especially bad with modern stiff and slippery lines. Turns out correct, although the cowboy is better for "ring loading" (I would call it eye stretching). Next I am gonna read WHY the difference, so it will be an intuitive guideline without needing to remember facts.

I have always had a tension with knot instructors, from Boy Scout days to a more recent intro class for yacht crewmen - follow their rigid directions or discern the clasping principle. The difference is by principle you can immediately tie from any perspective, vs the directions have to be different if you have to tie it upside down or whatever.

Turns out we were both wrong. My bowline principle of "strangling the collar" allowed for a cowboy bowline, which was fine for thick grippy cotton clothesline that I used in youthful campouts and my homemade wooden sailboat. But now I have to extend the principle to have the tail clasped by the L turn rather than U turn (= cowboy) of the nipping loop.
    Last edited by rudderless; 10-06-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Kewl!

Thank for sharing this, Ian.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I'd been mulling the sheet bend connection but this was really really fun. And then there's the anti-bowline . . .

Very interesting. I'm plowing thru it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I first learned how to tie a Bowline in Boy Scouts from an older scout who was totally blind from birth. He showed me the "rabbit goes around the tree" method a couple times, then handed the rope to me. I copied his method and handed the completed knot back to him. He lightly ran his fingers over it and said, "That's right." I was floored by how he could "see" the knot with his fingers.
    I learned as much about "handicapped" people that day as I did about knot-tying!

What I remember from this issue https://www.scientificamerican.com/m...sa/1979/06-01/ from the late 70's was that is was news that someone had "invented" a knot that was not in Ashley's.

Thanks, Ian! That one went right into my "favorites" file.

I've always used a bowline on the bight with differently sized loops to attach sheets to headsails. The long loop is passed through the cringle, presenting a small loop on the far side of the cringle and the short loop is then run through the short loop as a "toggle" to keep the long loop from pulling back through the cringle when under load. I've never had one come loose ever. It does take some experimentation to match up the diameter of the sheet with the diameter of the cringle and the lengths of the respective loops, but once set up so as to fit right, you're good to go. Very easy to detach from the clew and the sheets can be coiled with the know left in.

Quote Originally Posted by MW Jones View Post
    the late 70's was that is was news that someone had "invented" a knot that was not in Ashley's.
    I wish the paper started with page 57's conclusion first, which shows the context of a flurry of new bowline variations being invented to address it's shortcomings with synthetic rope. I don't like the complex look of the 4 knots he ends up advocating. I wish it was as simple as doubling the nipping loop, but he shows how this can turn into knots he gives a skull and crossbones award to, like the widely used yosemite bowline.

I propose a simpleton bowline variation - add an overhand knot at the tail. Give it an Ashley number of 0, or maybe 0.5 for adding figure 8 knot. I have to add these all the time for cheesy camcleat rope cleats on dinghy outhauls, boomvangs, etc.

Ian's quite right... Its a valuable example of what Knottyers love to do of a rainy afternoon and then carry out to the nth degree, to the despair of wives and dogs.

Let me recommend the International Guild of Knottyers website and FORUM to anyone at all interested in ropes, their construction(s), knots, splices or anything to do with cordage.

While "weighty" tomes such as Ian referenced here are rarely found, yet are there a myriad of interesting and very useful (for boaties) posts, debates, excoriations, disagreem....

Wow! Sounds like the WBF, and I'm not stringing you along!
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[