Thread: Grumman Sportboat

Default Grumman Sportboat

Well, after years of reading about the wonderfulness of the Sportboat, coming from such worthies as Dave Getchell and Rob White, I have finally acquired one. It is (like all my purchases ) a bit of a project, but that's the way I like it. I've been looking for one for some time now, but the ones I have found were out of my comfort zone for price, or too far away to get. I even enlisted my Craig's List expert son into the hunt, but he had found nothing for me.

One day though, while checking through the local listings I saw a posting for a "Aluminum canoe" as is -- $200. The picture though, was clearly not a canoe, but of a seedy-looking Sportboat. I contacted the poster, and made arrangements to run right over to a place about an hour and a half from home. Yeah, it was a mess, especially considering that I could tell from the hull # that it was a 1985 model -- a lot of bad things had happened to that fellow in a little over 30 years. On the starboard side it had suffered three puncture wounds -- but there the treatment had been worse than the injury. Somebody (ah, the mythical D.P.O.) had tried to "weld" it, with some kind of alloy solder -- vat a mess! That having failed, the holes had then been slathered with several different types of "monkey poop" (sic) to make it water tight. Still, it was basically OK, with nothing that couldn't be mended with a bit of time. In short, perfect for a bottom feeder like me. Money changed hands, it got strapped on top of the truck, and away we went.

I got to work right away, and I didn't mess around or get fancy. I went with large external patches over 5200, held in place with clecos before riveting.

That done, I had to slap on a kicker and try it out. I selected a Evinrude 7.5 from my inventory. I added a 4' PVC tiller extension so that I could helm from the middle seat, and off we went.

This is a video of the maiden run:

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...false&iso=true

About 10 knts with that motor, not bad. The old outboard racer in me thinks that there is way too much foot in the water for best performance, but a jack plate would seem overkill on a rig like this. Trim is critical of course, and the extended tiller is a must solo. With two aboard, helmsman on rear seat and crew forward gives flat planing at about 8 knts, very nice! It's quite stable, and I feel fine standing up to cast when fishing.

All in all, I'm a believer -- it's a fine little craft. We're looking forward to car topping it out west this winter, and maybe trying it out on Lake Powell and some other western waters. I know it's not wood, but it is a shapely little thing, and I don't find it a bit hard to look at. Here it is at our dock the other day, just begging for a morning run.

I got no paperwork with it, but an old Vermont friend and fellow forumite is laundering the registration for me through that more accommodating Green Mountain state. If this lovely Fall weather holds I may get some more use out of it here soon.

Tom
    Last edited by moTthediesel; 10-06-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Default Re: Grumman Sportboat

Nice. I missed a shot at one a few years back. Enjoy!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Cleco? What? Oh... http://www.panamericantool.com/cleco-fasteners.html Cool. Found a sheet metal tool list while looking up Clecos.

Nice work. Looks like you scuffed the metal around the patch so the 5200 would stick better.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

My brother has one .Very nice . I'm glad to learn about Clecos, let's see your rivets .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 10-10-2017 at 09:06 AM.

I've always had my eye open for one. Nice find!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Perkins View Post
    My brother has one .Very nice . I'm glad to know about Clecos, let's see your rivets .
    Again, nothing fancy there, just 3/16" (closed-end) alloy pop rivets with aluminum burrs inside -- easy, cheap, and cheerful.