Thread: Frankenstein-Bolger Stumbled across this black skimmer anyone recognize?

Default Frankenstein-Bolger Stumbled across this black skimmer anyone recognize?

Stumbled across this boat-- looks like a black skimmer that has been modified for the worse. Anyone recognize?
    https://glensfalls.craigslist.org/bo...305363206.html

Default Re: Frankenstein-Bolger Stumbled across this black skimmer anyone recognize?

If she was "the best of the fleet" I think we can see why the tour boat business failed...
    Everything changes . Everything is connected . Pay attention

Default Re: Frankenstein-Bolger Stumbled across this black skimmer anyone recognize?

A bit of neglect but at one time I bet she reflected her sailor's perhaps eccentric and certainly interesting personality.

I think he will have a hard time finding a buyer, especially at that price.
    I remember a charter business in the Keys using Bolger Sharpies and some glass centerboard boats. I tried to charter with them in the late '80s, but my vacation, affordable flights and boat availability did not coincide.

It is "a bit of a shed" as we say where I come from. Still, at $3 per pound for the lead ballast, and sell the rest of the salvageable parts (motor, trailer) it MIGHT be worth it. I wouldn't touch it as a boat - looks like way too much work to get her back into a decent condition and without a survey, it's a money pit.

The threaded black pipe/fittings tiller is quite a work of art...
    Tom

Hard to look at as a former Black Skimmer builder/owner (and who loved the boat)

Interesting to me that the engine mount is mounted to the engine mount... suggesting the owner slapped something bigger than the built-in transom cutout would allow... or something....

I remember that business through ads and a couple of feature items, probably in the "Messing About in Boats" magazine. I think the hull is a Black Skimmer. It would only take a few minutes with a chainsaw to remove the "improvements."
    -Dave