Thread: Oh, guess I was doing it wrong! (Card scrapers)

Default Oh, guess I was doing it wrong! (Card scrapers)

For years and years my I always filed at a slight angle and then burnished the edge with a burnisher or a screwdriver shaft it seemed to work okay all these years.

I read a couple of articles I just happened to go come across. I was doing it... wr...wrr...WRONG!!

I just read another article from Christopher Schwarz https://www.popularwoodworking.com/t...pen_scrapers/2

Okay I'm a little embarrassed, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this one lol

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Oh, guess I was doing it wrong! (Card scrapers)

Well... I certainly hope that this epiphany causes you to call into question... everything you ever believed, or thought you knew!!! <G>

Seriously... isn't it interesting that the more we learn, the more we realize we have still to learn. Personally, if I get any smarter, I'm gonna start needing people to feed and dress me.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So very true David!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

For years I had problems turning an nice clean edge on my scraper planes, (which are hard, and left marks on a standard storebought burnishing tool) and since have been using a 1/2" x4" tungsten carbide drill blank as a burnishing tool. Harder than the hinges of hell, it will turn an edge on just about anything anything without galling, including any tool steel.

Where might one buy such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    Where might one buy such a thing?
    Dunno about your location, but here we have a couple of wholesale suppliers that sell drilling & abrasive supplies to the machinist trade. That would be my first call.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

McMaster-Carr has them in their online catalog -- 'tungsten carbide rod'

Rick

ebay has lots of them for about 1/2 the price of the big book suppliers...
    These are made to be ground into end mills, drills and etc. (I just happened to have a drawer in my tool box with some drill blanks when years ago I was puzzling over this very problem!)
    search " carbide drill rod"

Push rods from V-8 engines are incredibly hard and long enough to get a good grip on and smooth as a smelt. Most engine rebuild outfits will be happy to get rid of a few.

Many solid carbide router bits make suitable burnishers. The 1/4" straights and corebox bits come to mind. These are inexpensive enough to convert to burnisher use without the sacrifice of losing a valuable bit. They are short, so a suitable handle must be fitted. That's easy peasy. Just drill a hole into a chunk of smooth scrap and epoxy the cutting end into.

Jeff

I've used a Snap On (snapped off) screwdriver for the last 20-odd years.
    I could never make a card scraper work in a way that didn't hurt my thumbs, but a regular paint scraper with the edge properly filed and burnished is a treat.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I have been using an oval cross section shaped burnisher made by Marples for longer than I care to say! It still works as good as when it was new. The oval shape allows it to get on the inside of some of the odd curved blades I have.
    Jaybird

Back of a gouge
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I use this.

Scraper burnisher. It is a very fine. single cut file on one side, and plain on the other and on the two rounded sides. The odd oval shape of the handle allows the file, and the stroke, to be oriented almost parallel to the edge being jointed, which is the optimum way to get a clean flat jointed edge. At other angles the metal filings get stuck, spall, between the file and the jointed edge and leave divots in the edge that will leave tell-tale traces on the workpiece, which means more sanding.

The dead flat, and square edge is important (at least the way I get good results) before bending the hook with the burnisher. The file is hardened, and thicker than a typical file, and is designed for the round edges to be used for the burnishing. So the three-step process is done quickly with the same tool.. I clamp my card in the bench vise, and file file file, turn and burnish burnish, and maybe one more burnish stroke, and then shift the card in the vise to get the next edge.

In fact, in some cases, depending on the wood, the jointed edge is enough by itself to make clean shavings without burnishing the hooked edge.

As with honing a sharp edge on a tool, it's best to start work with a freshly sharpened tool and touch it up as needed while you work. Driving any sharp tool that has gotten dull is harder than it needs to be. If the result of a stroke of the scraper is dust, and not a shaving, your scraper is dull or you're doing it wrong. Or your workpiece is too soft. As a general rule, card scrapers don't do anything on the soft woods like pine or fir. It is best to do the three steps each time.

I use the scrapers barehanded, ie, without an holder. For a large flat panel, an energetic session will warm up your thumbs in a hurry. Go slower.

In addition to the flat panel use, I use mine for light finish carving, too. It will smooth the flats left from chisels and gouges almost as well and as fast as a spoke shave, and it is very reliable for achieving subtle fairing of sculptured compound curved surfaces. You'd be surprised if you haven't used one, how much wood it can remove in a short time.

Card scraping saves a bunch of sanding time, which is the main reason I use them. Quicker, cleaner, more precise and way more peaceful and quiet than a sander.

And lastly, you can transfer the burred edge concept to other sorts of tools for particular work. I have put a burred edge on a putty knife, to get to an otherwise hard to reach spot. When I installed the pickup in my nylon string classical style guitar the instructions said to make the bottom of the groove under the saddle dead flat for the whole length, or it wouldn't work at all. So I ground a small flat screwdriver tip to the correct size and then used the freshly ground edge as a scraper, rather than like a chisel, to safely plane the bottom of the tiny dado. Teeny eeny weeny little shavings.

(When I got the wiring right, the thing works beautifully, with zero low frequency hum. Sometimes I like a little low frequency hum. Depends how the evening is going...)
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 10-07-2017 at 09:06 AM.

An old time woodworker and boat builder showed me how to shapen a scraper, he explained it to me essentially as does Ron Hock:

"The other thing that the burnisher does is to draw the steel off of the face of the scraper. Essentially, it moves the metal so the steel makes a small point where the face meets the edge. Why is this important? It makes the scraper’s burr much easier to turn when you burnish the edge of the tool. You can turn the burr in fewer strokes and without much downward pressure on the tool."

For burnishing he gave me an old triangular file that had been polished off.
    Steve Martinsen