Thread: Selway Fisher plans

Cool Selway Fisher plans

Has anyone purchased Selway Fisher plans? Any feedback appreciated. I am considering the Able or Kane design ( for clinker construction). Do they provide full size
    patterns for the molds and planks ? Is sufficient detail provided ? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Itchen

Default Re: Selway Fisher plans

I’ve purchased the Selway Fisher Thames Skiff plans from them and, from my experience, can happily recommend them. They were very easy to deal with and Paul Fisher was quick to respond to any questions, not that I had many though - I don’t know about the designs that you are looking at but although mine didn’t come with any full size patterns the plans and instructions were all I needed and had all the detail needed to mark up the plank patterns accurately and easily minimising wastage. The plans and instructions were all I needed to build the skiff without any particular issues or grey areas.

Here’s the build if it’s of any interest/help:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...kII&highlight=
    Last edited by Larks; 10-06-2017 at 03:39 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Ditto what Larks says, i have plans for the Stornoway 16, Thames 12,study plans for several others and Paul run my own drawings through his PC to develop the lines of the Mariette pram. No full size patterns, but easily understood drawings and dimensions. Able is a really nice design, im surprised there are not more of them. I would be surprised if you are dissapointed.

I've nearly finished Paul Fisher's JIM 18 foot double ender. It is drawn as stitch and glue but with Paul's permission I built it glued lap. He is very good to deal with if you have anything needing clarification.

The plans were simple to follow.

Above.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I agree with all the positive comments above.
    I bought plans for the 12' 6" motor canoe about 5 years ago, although rather than build a transomed dinghy I took the option of using the lines to make a 16' double ended canoe.
    Paul Fisher also provided a computer file that could be used with a CNC machine to cut the planks however in the end I cut them myself.

Thank you all for the feedback. Looks like I will go for the plans. Great asset this forum.

Itchen

One of my friends bought a Kane/Abel design and it is a nice, solid design, using water ballast. Sailing her was straightforward and she had a nice, solid feel about her. Not a racing type (but there again, she's not mean to be) but quick enough to keep up with a 24 foot yacht when sailing on Raglan harbour.

Some pictures of her:
    100_0954-25.jpg100_0956-25.jpg100_0957-25.jpg100_0958-25.jpg

I bought the Redshank and Whooping Swan plans. I think Redshank came with full size molds for all versions and plank shapes (for the clinker version). But this is described in the plans description. I do think his plans are well represented and of good value and they come with what they say they come with. My one criticism is some of the plan parts are hand written and it can me challenging to identify if its A1 vs D1 but that is a small complaint I think.

I think they are priced good for a living designer. He responds quickly on the yahoo forum. I wouldn't hesitate buying another if the boat was pleasant to me or it suited my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I have driven a 6.5l Dodge with diesel Cummins and it was glorious....

Does anyone know about 18' Cormorant fast dayboat built? What do you think about speed and seaworthiness of this boat?

Quote Originally Posted by JonasK View Post
    Does anyone know about 18' Cormorant fast dayboat built? What do you think about speed and seaworthiness of this boat?

You might be better of asking on the yahoo group. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s_sailors/info
    or email Paul directly. I only know the design was a commision from the builder of a Stornoway 16. I had talked with Paul about enlarging the Cormorant, something he was happy to do.

Paul fisher does a good series of books on various forms of construction. Worth their weight

Thank you for the lead to yahoo forum. I am looking for a new project after DiDi Challenger 13 - something more performance oriented and suitable for harsher conditions (wind and wave).
    It has happened that I have quite a few 6 mm ply sheets, so more likely, that I would go for ply boat. I used strip planking on ship models as a teenager, that would be interesting to try on a real boat.