Thread: Varnish Help

Default Varnish Help

Hello-
    I had a section of teak parquet flooring replaced on our boat. The replaced section was painted with two coats of an unknown urethane varnish. The replaced section is in the head, and the older section adjacent to it was varnished with what seems to be a traditional varnish.
    In order to blend the old and new sections, I scuff sanded both sections, in preparation to coat the entire area with urethane varnish. While sanding, I noticed a 2" area in the new section where, for some reason, the previously applied urethane was beginning to lift. So I sanded down to bare wood in the 2" area, finishing with 320 grit.
    I applied sanding sealer to the entire area, and the 2" bare wood area now shows slightly darker than the rest of the floor. I need to lighten the 2" area to match the rest of the floor, but sanding it down again would only repeat the same scenario.
    I thought about re-sanding and bleaching the 2" area, but it seems that it would only make the wood more porous, making the problem worse, as the issue is that the bare wood accepts the varnish more readily that the surrounding area (which of course is not bare), which causes the darkening.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you'
    Wizard

Default Re: Varnish Help

Don't fuss too much about a floor.

It's going to be walked on.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

We need more info.
    Do you stand or sit for peeing?
    How many centimeters in 2 square inches?
    Do you blush when you emerge from the head ?
    Does the head have a sound or stink proof door?
    Panorama photos needed.
    Are you mocking me with your screen name?

Welcome to the forum!

Matching new & old teak is tough. I added a new section that ended up a quite different color - but after a season had blended in quite well.

As far as I know, the only way you can get them all the same right off is to sand everything down to bare wood & varnish all together.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Welcome to the forum, and as you may have notices, teasing is a way of life here. Garrett has the right of it. Don't worry about the slight color difference...it'll blend. What it's doing chemically, I have no Idea, but it seems to average out within a very short time. I'm sure Ian knows

Have you tried peeing on it?

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Have you tried peeing on it?
    see point 1 above...sit or stand.

You guys are sure razzin' the new guy. Wizbang... I told you to STORE that gallon of rum for me, not drink it all in the first few months!!

As to the topic at hand - I don't know why it was lifting. Too many possibilities in that scenario. Contamination? Chemical incompatibility between the new & old finishes? Demonic possession?

I'll offer two small bits, however, that probably won't help with the primary issue. First -- #320 is too fine to sand bare wood prior to varnishing. I go #120 max, so as to provide some mechanical bonding (aka 'tooth'). Second -- Sanding sealer is redundant, and perhaps even perverse. Might even be the source of your problem (though that's a long-shot).

Welcome, and good luck.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

"long shot"....see point 1 .

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    "long shot"....see point 1 .
    OK... you're forcing me to inquire. How much of that gallon is left? Maybe I should have left it in J's care??? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Here is a remedy if you really want to wear a hair shirt! Chemically strip all the wood. Sand all with 120 and Mask off the new wood. Use peroxide hair bleach on the dark piece. 1 and 2 bleach is too harsh and will damage the wood. So use hair bleach which, is also two part.
    Dry with a heat lamp. If old wood is still dark, repeat the process. When the old wood is close in tone to the new wood. Sand the entire floor again with 220. Use a transparent aniline dye spray stain to match both pieces. Spray the lightest piece more to match the darker one. When stain is dry, apply the finish coating. Maybe Danish oil if you want a penetrating water or pee resistant finish! If you want shine, apply that which you prefer.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-06-2017 at 02:37 PM.