Thread: Watercolour at Lowell's Boat Shop.

Default Watercolour at Lowell's Boat Shop.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: Watercolour at Lowell's Boat Shop.

What a great painting, he nailed the sheer.

Timely too as I just "brushed" off my painting supplies after a 20 year hiatus and started taking watercolor lessons this week.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

As did I Steve, I'm very rusty !
    Grateful Dead

That is absolutely terrifict! Ever use Payne's Grey in your pallet?
    Jay

No Jay, I'll have to buy some.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    As did I Steve, I'm very rusty !
    My paints were actually moldy! Are you taking lessons? I signed up for an adult education class hoping it would provide motivation. I got some instruction back when and painted up a storm for about a year, but work and life intervened and haven't painted since. Being retired I have no excuse except I'd rather spend the time building boats.
    Steve B
    DowneastTSCA.org

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

I went to a class last Tuesday and will go again, it was fun and the lady running the class is very helpful. The only downside is the 70 mile return drive !

Here's something I did last time I went to a class...then boats intervened.

First attempt.jpg
    Grateful Dead

Peter that building is intriguing! I studied with Rex Brant who was a marine water colorist in S. Cal. Rex was a pal of Millard Sheets they did the entry hall mural in the Balboa YC.
    I did the carved signage for the club. Rex was the one who introduced me to Paynes Grey and Indian Red water colors He also loved ultra marine blue. He could do an entire beach scene using just those three colors.
    Jay
    https://www.californiawatercolor.com...ons/rex-brandt

I've just joined a group and have a lot to learn Jay.
    Grateful Dead

I like that house, nice contrast. Watercolor is so much technique, a good instructor really helps. The class I'm taking over half of the students have taken the class several times which speaks highly of the instructor.

My last go I was into marine art, lots of dolphins, manatees and whales. Hope to get into landscapes this time. And living on the coast of Maine I have a lot of subject matter.
    Steve B
    DowneastTSCA.org

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

That' s likely the whaleboat Lowell's built for the Charles W. Morgan and Mystic Seaport. Nice job.
    "When I was a boy with never a crack in my heart."

-W. B. Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Peter that building is intriguing! I studied with Rex Brant who was a marine water colorist in S. Cal. Rex was a pal of Millard Sheets they did the entry hall mural in the Balboa YC.
    I did the carved signage for the club. Rex was the one who introduced me to Paynes Grey and Indian Red water colors He also loved ultra marine blue. He could do an entire beach scene using just those three colors.
    Jay
    These blew me away!

Thank you.

Peace,
    Robert

nice water color. It takes talent to paint a brown boat in a brown shop and not have it turn out looking like a mud puddle.

heres a pencil drawing I did from an old photo of another local scene, a river crossing about 5 miles from Lowells Boat shop, supposedly the oldest in the country in continuous use, unfortunately not the best scan.

Thurlows Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    These blew me away!

Thank you.

Peace,
    Robert
    Yes, Rex and his wife Joan Irving were both terrific artists! I was dating their daughter and ended up with the bonus of studying with them. I do like working in water color because it is fast and captures the moment easier than working with oils or acrylics.
    Hang in there Robert! You have a flair for it!

Two other marine artists I knew and know are Joe Duncan Gleason and John Stobart. I have great respect and love for their work!
    Duncan was a friend of my father in the Coast Guard during WWII. I would visit him with dad at his studio in the Holywood Hills. Mr. Gleason was once an Olympic Gymnast and had a pair of rings hanging in the center of his studio. When he was frustrated over making a picture come out, to his liking, he would grab the rings and do a set of exercises to free his mind and then go back to his painting. He always gave me encouragement on own my attempts at painting.

John Stobart, painted a scene of the Newort Beach CA Pavilion Building that I like so much that a print of it hangs in our living room in Port Towsnend. There is a slightly long story attached to it but I won't bore you with the details.

If you do wish to see some examples of their work, click on these sites.
    Jay
    http://linesandcolors.com/2008/04/12...uncan-gleason/
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/john-stobart
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-06-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Jay
    Small world: I owned Rex's old boat: A Highlander with a small cuddy cabin. He had in her in SoCal and then brought her to Shaw Island, where I bought her from a subsequent owner.

Joan hit my beagle when the dog ran across the road...another connection
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    nice water color. It takes talent to paint a brown boat in a brown shop and not have it turn out looking like a mud puddle.

heres a pencil drawing I did from an old photo of another local scene, a river crossing about 5 miles from Lowells Boat shop, supposedly the oldest in the country in continuous use, unfortunately not the best scan.

Thurlows Bridge

Daniel,
    Your art has an almost photographic quality which, often happens when working from a photo. However, unlike the camera, your eye has captured to soul of the moment!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Small world: I owned Rex's old boat: A Highlander with a small cuddy cabin. He had in her in SoCal and then brought her to Shaw Island, where I bought her from a subsequent owner.

Joan hit my beagle when the dog ran across the road...another connection
    Small World indeed Bob! I remember when Rex built that cuddy! The Highlander fleet had fallen into inactivity so Rex turned it into a cruiser.
    Jay

Small World indeed Bob! I remember when Rex built that cuddy! The Highlander fleet had fallen into inactivity so Rex turned it into a cruiser.
    Jay
    I was 18 when I bought the boat and kept her for many years. Rex had cut down the rig. I built a new boom and bought a new main. The boat sailed like a catboat: 14 foot boom on a 20 foot hull with a small main. A great light air boat. I single handed a lot and the big main could be a handful when the wind blew.
    Last edited by Bobcat; 10-06-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

01364F45-B313-41FD-8053-2F81C3FF95AF.jpg
    I think this cute Doodle got photobucketed. This is the type mess I come up with when I get a hold of a sharpie and have 20 minutes or so to sit still drinking coffee. From my yard...

Shoot, y’all are going to drive me into the paint drawer. Bunch of little Winsor tubes in there, somewhere.

Peace,
    Robert