Thread: Canoes A Natural History in North America (Book)

Default Canoes A Natural History in North America (Book)

I just started reading this, it is excellent. My copy was purchased quite reasonably on Amazon after reading the review in Messing About in Boats. The art and photography are amazing, the writing enchanting. If you love canoes, or have ever enjoyed one, buy this book.

Default Re: Canoes A Natural History in North America (Book)

I will second this endorsement of the book and suggest the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association site at http://www.wcha.org/ as another good source of old canoe information and pictures.

Benson

I saw this book in Minneapolis recently and it went right onto my Christmas list, for sure. A gorgeous book!

Yep, it's excellent and an amazing effort to gather all that information. Co-author Norm Sims worked with me back in the 1970s, selling canoes, XC skis and other stuff at our store. He and I built several strip canoes in his garage in Champaign, Illinois, including my big fur trade canoe, which just fit in there diagonally from corner to corner.

Todd modestly left out that he contributed to the book as well. There are a couple of pages on his work, and it's clear that the authors respect him.

https://vimeo.com/207763253 you've got to watch these if you haven't seen them. i think there's 2 or 3 on the dugout canoe.