Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control discussion

Default Gun Control discussion

When these tragic events happen I think back to this dialogue with President Obama. In my mind the President sums up nicely here the situation where we find ourselves today.

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Default Re: Gun Control discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    When these tragic events happen I think back to this dialogue with President Obama. In my mind the President sums up nicely here the situation where we find ourselves today.

What a miracle, a president who can articulate a problem with multiple factors using understandable facts.

It was too much for some.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    What a miracle, a president who can articulate a problem with multiple factors using understandable facts.

yah, but he's a Democrat and African - American...

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

If you want reason, don't look for it in the American voting public.

glad we finally have a gun control discussion thread going.

Want to address Obama's comments?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

There will be no further gun control laws in America. Some legislators are now actually verbalizing that this is the price of freedom and we'd better get used to it. Pray more too.
    In this regard the lunatics are in charge of the asylum and they will further cement their positions with the power position they now own, lead by the SCROTUS.
    Study Peace

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    At least for a few days until the media finds something else to draw the public's attention. I suspect nothing will happen until the next mass killing and the discussions will begin all over again. It's the American way after all.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    It's nice to hear an articulate President actually frame an argument and discussion that even a brain washed gun nut could understand.
    Tom

We are going to need all the guns we can get when the North Koreans invade...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    They are coming for us, too. Actually, I’m surprised how many people in this country know Asia is closer to the West coast.

Peace,
    Robert

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    No, they will just drop a nuke. Have fun shooting down the missile that carries it!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    No, they will just drop a nuke. Have fun shooting down the missile that carries it!
    That will be just to "Soften us up" before the actual invasion. Once they invade there will,be no more dropping of nukes. We are going to need all the guns we can get.

Motor vehicle injuries and firearm injuries stem from entirely different causes, not a valid analogy.
    Diane Feinstein has stated her intention to confiscate guns.
    Many, if not most, States do require some sort of certifications to having passed a safety course before being able to buy a gun at a gun store.
    I'd bet injuries from driving while texting have actually risen precipitously since he was a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Motor vehicle injuries and firearm injuries stem from entirely different causes, not a valid analogy.
    Diane Feinstein has stated her intention to confiscate guns.
    Many, if not most, States do require some sort of certifications to having passed a safety course before being able to buy a gun at a gun store.
    I'd bet injuries from driving while texting have actually risen precipitously since he was a boy.
    Sounds like you missed the point the President was making. His analogy was regarding the discussion, the willingness to do something and the results. Maybe you should watch it again without a jaundice eye this time.
    Tom

Texting while driving injuries and deaths have indeed risen sharply. Great example, thanks.

The response has been first to determine the size of the problem - which our own officials here in New Brunswick say accounts for more deaths/injuries than drunk driving, BTW. Then after determining the scope, consulting and then enacting legislation to create laws against it. To launch determined campaigns by various parts of government to make people aware of the danger, and of the penalties when caught. And to review the effectiveness of those actions once they've had enough time to begin to affect the incidence rate of texting-related accidents, and tweak them when necessary.

Many jurisdictions have done comparative analyses of how other places have approached texting-while-driving, and tailored their own actions based on what others have found to be more effective.

Why is this not possible with firearms? Why not even start by reviewing differences between the incidence rate in otherwise similar States, to see what apparently has already been shown to be effective within America?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Apparently it was too much for some 63,000,000 who replaced him with a president who can articulate almost nothing worth saying and has no use for facts.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

How far our country has fallen in just a year. Trump is a disgusting stain on this country, as is anyone who still supports him.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

^ Close, Joe. It should read "Only My Life Matters".

James Fallows was pretty good on this, you can find it easily enough if you care to look it up. It may have already been posted, I have not followed the Bilge discussion, that is an exercise in inanity.

Shorter James Fallows: Wasf. It's an acronym; you can look that up, too.
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 10-04-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Steve Martinsen

A friend told me Monday that I was dead wrong and he was 100% opposed to any gun laws.

He said he wants the right and ability to defend his family.

He may have a rifle that belonged to his father, but I've never heard of him shooting it.

As far as I know, neither he nor any member of his family has ever been the victim of violent crime.

There is very little violent crime where we live.

And he does not have the temperament to shoot another human being.

He is fairly typical of the pro-gun people I know. It makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    A friend told me Monday that I was dead wrong and he was 100% opposed to any gun laws.

He said he wants the right and ability to defend his family.

He may have a rifle that belonged to his father, but I've never heard of him shooting it.

As far as I know, neither he nor any member of his family has ever been the victim of violent crime.

There is very little violent crime where we live.

And he does not have the temperament to shoot another human being.

He is fairly typical of the pro-gun people I know. It makes no sense to me.
    There is a rifle in my family, bought by my g pop. Passed to my father with the only stipulation was " DON'T GET RID OF IT, IT'S NOT YOURS"......
    Nothing special, just a Savage 30/30 bolt. That was in the early 70's that
    my dad got it. It passed to me in 93, and to my son in 03.... All received
    the same stipulation. My son has 3 boys of his own, he will know best
    who to pass it on too......

This may very well be what your friend is thinking when he says he is
    against any gun control..... He listens to those that think every one
    will be melted down....... The NRA loves those far left soap boxers....
    They make people like your friend dig their heels in even harder.....

That being said, G pops rifle was not a semi or equipped with a bump
    stock........ And I can't imagine passing that down.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    There is a rifle in my family, bought by my g pop. Passed to my father with the only stipulation was " DON'T GET RID OF IT, IT'S NOT YOURS"......

This may very well be what your friend is thinking when he says he is
    against any gun control.....
    I'm only guessing that he has a gun at all and he has never mentioned it or any inheritance.

Jack, times change. If it means that much to you, fill the barrel with epoxy and everyone will be happy. (I'm not serious.)

Frankly, this isn't about a legal gun held by law-abiding people. It is about the utter and complete inflexibility of the gun lobby to consider any legislation. The tide is turning. It is time for the gun folks to see the impact that our gun culture is having on society or they and their opinions will be marginalized.

Fill it with epoxy....... Are you nuts?

That gun has put countless deer and even a couple bear in the freezer.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    Fill it with epoxy....... Are you nuts?

That gun has put countless deer and even a couple bear in the freezer.
    Gross
    I hate game meat.
    Can you hunt cow ? Cause we made this last night and it was delicious.

pan-seared beef medallions with a showstopping pan sauce made from tangy balsamic vinegar, crème fraîche, and butter.
    Mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and spinach sautéed with shallot and garlic

^ Yummy!

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Ad at bottom of page, "Are you making these common concealed carry mistakes".

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    If you want reason, don't look for it in the American voting public.
    then don't allow them to vote
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Gross
    I hate game meat.
    Can you hunt cow ? Cause we made this last night and it was delicious.

pan-seared beef medallions with a showstopping pan sauce made from tangy balsamic vinegar, crème fraîche, and butter.
    Mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and spinach sautéed with shallot and garlic

of course you can hunt cow... cow elk, cow buffalo, cow moose...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Scientific classification
    Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Artiodactyla
    Family: Bovidae
    Subfamily: Bovinae
    Genus: Bos
    Species: B. taurus

You know the whole "I have a gun for defense reasons"?

Has any one of the mass shootings ever been affected for the better by a privately owned gun?
    Any mass shooting avoided because of a privately owned weapon.

Does the defense argument have any demonstrable validity?

As i see it the only reason to have a gun is because someone wants one. That is - a Hobby. Which i think is fine.
    All other reasons are BS.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Roseanne Cash weighed in with an op-ed in the NYT:

"Last year, I performed at the Concert Across America to End Gun Violence with Jackson Browne, Eddie Vedder, Marc Cohn and the Harlem Gospel Choir, and we got death threats. People wanted to kill us because we wanted to end gun violence. That’s where we are: America, 2017.

For the past few decades, the National Rifle Association has increasingly nurtured an alliance with country music artists and their fans. You can see it in “N.R.A. Country,” which promotes the artists who support the philosophical, and perhaps economic, thrall of the N.R.A., with the pernicious tag line “Celebrate the Lifestyle.”

That wholesome public relations veneer masks something deeply sinister and profoundly destructive. There is no other way to say this: The N.R.A. funds domestic terrorism.

I encourage more artists in country and American roots music to end your silence. It is no longer enough to separate yourself quietly. The laws the N.R.A. would pass are a threat to you, your fans, and to the concerts and festivals we enjoy.

I know you’ll be bullied for speaking out. This is how they operate. Not everyone will like you for taking a stand. Let it roll off your back. Some people may burn your records or ask for refunds for tickets to your concerts. Whatever. Find the strength of moral conviction, even if it comes with a price tag, which it will. Don’t let them bully you into silence. That’s where their power lies — in the silence of rational voices and in the apathy of those who can speak truth to power.

Those of us who make our living in “the tower of song,” as Leonard Cohen so eloquently put it, must let our voices ring out. The N.R.A. will stick to its post-shooting playbook. It will say that we shouldn’t “politicize” the Las Vegas carnage by talking about gun control at this time, and that this isn’t about guns, it’s about people, and that even more of us should be armed to protect ourselves. Enough.

Patriotism and a belief in strong gun control are not antithetical. We need common-sense gun laws, and I hope my fellow occupants of the tower of song will join me in saying so. In unity, we can drown out the bullies."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/o...cians-nra.html
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    You know the whole "I have a gun for defense reasons"?

Has any one of the mass shootings ever been affected for the better by a privately owned gun?
    Any mass shooting avoided because of a privately owned weapon.

Does the defense argument have any demonstrable validity?

As i see it the only reason to have a gun is because someone wants one. That is - a Hobby. Which i think is fine.
    All other reasons are BS.
    There was a civilian (untrained carry) in the audience when Gifford was shot. He admits that he raised his gun and was about to shoot when he froze for just an instant. He later learned that the fellow he almost shot was not the shooter, but a plain clothes cop trying to stop the shooter.

This is the reality of guns for self defense, especially on the street. They are carried by untrained fools who think they can do more than they really can. They are a menace and not the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Just remember, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a nuke is another bad guy with a nuke. Nukes for everyone, no exceptions!</NRA logic>

What are you doing about it?