Thread: eye protection while sanding

Default eye protection while sanding

I wear glasses and have been searching for some type of goggle that will fit over my glasses and seal to my face to keep the dust out of my eyes. I do wear a respirator over nose and mouth...any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: eye protection while sanding

Goggles will steam up. Best I've found is a curved face sheild, with small electric fan hung on belt, hosed into the top of it, like professional welders use, but without the dark glass obviously. Air is blown down your face, keeps you cool too. I get terrible stys in my eyes from fine dust, this is my solution.

I have something like this, the nosecone contains all that hot air so the window doesn't fog up. There is hardware out there to mount a set of glasses inside the respirator though I don't have personal experience with that bit of kit.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Check with scientific supply houses. My ex once brought me home some goggles from her work in the science lab. No fogging at all, even over my (wire frame) glasses. Anti-static, too. And weirdly comfortable, in comparison to anything I'd previously encountered. I hate goggles, but I love these. I'll see if I can get a make/model next time I'm in the shop.

That said, I'm not sure how well they would play with a half-face respirator. When I need a respirator I use a full-face. I'm not saying they *wouldn't* work, just that I don't know because I haven't tried it.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

I have something like this, the nosecone contains all that hot air so the window doesn't fog up. There is hardware out there to mount a set of glasses inside the respirator though I don't have personal experience with that bit of kit.
    I have this as well, 3M 6000 series full face respirator. I've spent many, many hours wearing this. It's comfortable, works great, and doesn't fog. Haven't tried them with glasses, but if you want to keep crap out of your lungs and eyes, one of these is worth it.

When I was in the army they issued me a special set of glasses that had little prongs to match holes inside my gas mask. They worked well, and so did the gas mask - at least with tear gas.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

If the dust isn't a problem, these are OK, too.

Wet n dry sandpaper.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

These are the ones I have, that I mentioned in #4:

It makes no difference to me where you buy them, but this is where I found the image and the info:

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/s3960d.html

Alex