Thread: Design advice for a specific purpose.

Default Design advice for a specific purpose.

This forum is always fielding requests for observations and advice about designs, and it seems to be a merry band here that loves to talk about boats and designs and the waters that are suited to them.

I've been sitting on plans for SCAMP hull #151 for awhile. As so often happens, a lot of life inserted itself into my dance card in the form of a prolonged illness and then a career-ending injury (I was a firefighter and now count the days for an artificial knee procedure). In my repose, I considered that the only two downsides to the SCAMP design for my purposes was that, as a plans builder who has never built a boat but is no stranger to extensive projects in wood, it was a build that would take longer than some other designs, and it didn't provide the kind of privacy for a significant other to attend to nature while under way unless some kind of curtain system was employed to cover the aft end of the veranda/dog house (I think those are interchangeable and proper nomenclature for this unique Welsford design feature). I'm completely accepting of the compromises that boats ask us to strike, and now as I consider a specific expedition I am soliciting advice from this fine forum.

I'm likely to suspend proceeding on the SCAMP build and instead consider something that gets me out on the water quicker and is quicker in the water (how's that for a turn of phrase!). It's time to stop dreaming and dithering and start building and adventuring. The specific adventure I want to stage is to put in on Lake Washington, go through the Chittenden Locks and out into Elliot Bay and sail to Vancouver, B.C. and back. My sensibilities are veering toward rowing when the wind dies, as opposed to motoring, and so as capable a cruiser is SCAMP, she doesn't row as well as the Angus row cruiser with the sail rig and amas. That is the design that has struck me as the one that will present a quicker build and will both row and sail fast and provide the extra feature of immediate sleeping accommodations. I am mindful that while this design can accommodate a crew mate, I am intending to make this voyage on my own. I am also mindful that if I were to settle on this design that questions I ask here, some of them, anyway, are better addressed to Colin Angus.

So, are there any observations/bits of advice anyone would care to tender about this design as it relates to the intended waters? (Anyone want to nominate a different design?) Also, as I consider passing through the locks and provide some variety from rowing, I am envisioning how a Hobie Mirage drive might be incorporated. I've not done any solo human-powered excursions of any length, and while I am strong and athletic, an arthritic knee notwithstanding, and looking forward to pulling for an hour or so at a time, I'd like to face forward every now and then to take in the scenery.

Also, while I have you all, what's the conventional wisdom as to wet-/dry suits for these waters? The Angus row cruiser with the amas looks to be plenty stable, but one can never foresee when they might wind up in the drink, and as a former firefighter/EMT, I have tremendous respect for unplanned events and environmental exposures, particularly for the solo expeditioner. I am the sweatiest person I know, I even have "hyperhidrosis" listed in my medical history, which indicates a propensity for heavy sweating. As I've gotten older, male hormonal changes only seem to have made things more problematic. Skiing/snowboarding, which didn't present the problem quite so extremely before, are now murderous winter activities, with the chance to sweat like a pig on the way down, no matter the temperature, and then freezing my ass off on the chair lift ride with my sweat soaked undershirt(s). So, I consider the sweat produced while rowing and the problems of wearing a dry suit to exacerbate the situation.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
    ​I strive to be interesting. Failing that, I try to be brief.

Default Re: Design advice for a specific purpose.

You mention not having a private space for relief as one of the deal-killers for a Scamp. Is one needed for any design that you won't be using solo?

Regarding the Angus, I'd think Walkabout would be more flexible, and there are owners up in your (beautiful) far NW corner that have them. http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/walkabout/http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/projects/lavoi/index.htm http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw...bout/index.htm
    Last edited by rbgarr; 10-02-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Thanks for your reply, rbgarr.

I'm coming to a 'horses for courses' sensibility and so am not necessarily looking to find a flexible boat but a job specific design that is a relatively quick build, stable and fast under sail and oar. I'm a big fan of John Welsford, both as a designer and as a wonderful human being and educator, having the great pleasure of taking a 3-day, I think it was, Small Craft Skills Academy class that he and Howard Rice staged in Port Townsend in 2012.

The SCAMP build remains a strong possibility, perhaps for the 2nd build. But as I experienced and as we all know, sometimes life will give you pause to think that maybe only one boat is what we have in us. For now, I am just focusing on one boat for one particular voyage. We will reset after that.

As for your question, yes, if I end up blessed/cursed with multiple boats, one of them has to provide the private space certain females require before agreeing to set sail. I'm currently a free agent, so this significant other I am considering as crew has not been determined.

Thanks again,

Rick

To each their own but if I were planning a trip from Seattle to Vancouver and back I'd want a fairly substantial boat, especially if there were going to be two of us on board.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    To each their own but if I were planning a trip from Seattle to Vancouver and back I'd want a fairly substantial boat, especially if there were going to be two of us on board.
    No, this is a solo excursion. As I understand, Colin Angus circumnavigated Vancouver Island in his row cruiser rowing the whole way. Iím looking at that same design but with the sailing rig and amas.

I think the kind of boat needed for your expedition is specific enough that you should focus it and when you come back start pondering the next. They get easier and faster as you go (says the guy who just finished his 4th glued lap boat).

PM sent too
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    I think the kind of boat needed for your expedition is specific enough that you should focus it and when you come back start pondering the next. They get easier and faster as you go (says the guy who just finished his 4th glued lap boat).

PM sent too
    PM received and returned. Thanks, Steve.

Yeah, while Iím advancing as if I have one build in me, Iím eyeing a glued lap Caledonia yawl that might leapfrog over SCAMP. First things first!