Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Well, Leo is at it again. Quite interesting, IMO...

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Love his videos.
    Can someone please hurry up and sponsor this guy.

WEST, cut the man a cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanda View Post
    Love his videos.
    Can someone please hurry up and sponsor this guy.

WEST, cut the man a cheque.

Agreed.
    -Dave

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I do not think Tally Ho will employ a lotta epoxy .

Beautiful work. Love the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Beautiful work. Love the video.
    He gives a very very good example of how to scarf old frames I was trying to explain in words, but a video just makes it so much easier to understand

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I've watched all his videos. When I saw him fit that keel scarf by himself any tiny doubt I had that he could do this job vanished like the gap between those two very large timbers.

Fantastic work, he is a master craftsman.

Leo goes 'walkabout' and shows how to install a plank...

I enjoyed that big time. I learn something every video. Pilot Cutters are seriously cool.

really enjoyed that video. I love Luke Powell's boats. I got his book and can't help but drool over those Pilot Cutters. Would be awesome to sail one of his boats. I think it'd be cool to work for him to learn the techniques along the way.

I'm really interested in how he was finding/marking the bevels between the planks and frames. Nice seeing the planking go in. Can't be afraid to pull out a big hammer. Lots of good info in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Project-Avalon View Post
    really enjoyed that video. I love Luke Powell's boats. I got his book and can't help but drool over those Pilot Cutters. Would be awesome to sail one of his boats. I think it'd be cool to work for him to learn the techniques along the way.

I'm really interested in how he was finding/marking the bevels between the planks and frames. Nice seeing the planking go in. Can't be afraid to pull out a big hammer. Lots of good info in that video.
    Oak on oak ...woo
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Leo's latest...

put a bevel gauge on the back face of the pattern, the other part of the bevel gauge goes against the hull plank
    Boat Designer. Boatbuilder

Mr Super Ax once again!

In video 18 he takes a little tour of a new Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter. There's a scene where they show the table in the main cabin. It is quite interesting in it's construction. The table leaf has fiddles on the bottom and folds up and over the main part of the table. The fiddles are used to support the leaf in the open position as well. Quite ingenious. Anybody have any images of something similar or maybe a snap shot of that one?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I want to emulate the old gentleman. What a jovial soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    In video 18 he takes a little tour of a new Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter. There's a scene where they show the table in the main cabin. It is quite interesting in it's construction. The table leaf has fiddles on the bottom and folds up and over the main part of the table. The fiddles are used to support the leaf in the open position as well. Quite ingenious. Anybody have any images of something similar or maybe a snap shot of that one?
    Nautor Swan made tables like that, only with two leaves, the one leaf was plain and the othe leaf had big fiddles undeneath. You could either have a big flat water table o a small rough water table.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I want to emulate the old gentleman. What a jovial soul.

That's pretty amazing research he's doing I'm really looking forward to the milling and selecting of Live Oak

Great work Leo, Nice to see a Bristol lad hard at work. The video's are fantastic, makes my restoration work look small. Keep up the good work.
    Mike, Bristol Lad now living in ORKNEY.

Live Oak for Tally Ho....

Brilliant stuff. Steve Cross used to be a forum member, but his homespun communication methods dd not sit well with the usual suspects.

That’s quite a load of live oak he bought. Can’t wait to see him put it to use.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Great video. Leo is doing it right.

What a journey.
    -Dave

Hooley Dooley, 28k and he’s only just starting. Better donate a few more $$$

Dontcha just love that Steve Cross

Maybe drop that HBO subscription and give him the money instead? This is soo much more interesting!!! Never seen a carbide tip bandsaw blade before... must do some real chewing!

I remember his posts.. hard to follow.. seeing the real person one realizes he is a very colorful person!

Georgia Ship Saw !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Brilliant stuff. Steve Cross used to be a forum member, but his homespun communication methods dd not sit well with the usual suspects.
    A pity he’s not still involved, he seems like a genuine gem of a bloke.

I’m looking forward to the next edition
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Georgia Ship Saw !!!
    +1

This was an outstanding episode in Leo's fascinating series. Steve is a genius disguised as a bumpkin. Super entertaining stuff!
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Oh my!

The sheer scale of it all, on his own!

It would be great to know the number of hours it took to do the jacking, cutting of bolts, and lowering of the keel. It's impossible to get a feel for it with an edited video.

Fantastic project,,

I just starting to watch the whole project on his youtube channel,
    Last edited by eftee; 04-26-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Looks like he took the Georgia ship saw idea modified it for a chainsaw!
    He has a decent size bandsaw on the shop, but I don’t think it’s up to cutting out the live oak futtocks.