Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 132223

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Fair go - let em have some down time , they’re volunteers after all. Gives a bit more insight into their characters.

That and there is not a lot of boat work being done while it is being moved. Some insight into their various skills and interests is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    That and there is not a lot of boat work being done while it is being moved. Some insight into their various skills and interests is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That and a very impressive rig with a damned good driver. About an inch clearance from the house eaves, after he was committed.
    Kudos!
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Each to their own. There's only so much giggling I can watch. I just skipped forward in the end. I was much more interested in the couple who have hosted the project for 4 years plus, and in the amazing driving that went into getting the boat out without a scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-in-Suffolk View Post
    Each to their own. There's only so much giggling I can watch. I just skipped forward in the end. I was much more interested in the couple who have hosted the project for 4 years plus, and in the amazing driving that went into getting the boat out without a scratch.
    Agreed, I can see why they wanted that driver for the job.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Leo,

I was blown away by your latest video.

Thanks so much for including Raul and his lovely wife in your video. What amazing people!

Leo, I have to say that when the drone footage of Tally Ho appeared, I got shivers down my spine! The shape of the boat is absolutely beautiful!

Keep up the good work!

Ralphie

I find the cheerfulness and camaraderie ("giggling") of these younger people who are obviously talented and hard working very refreshing.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    I find the cheerfulness and camaraderie ("giggling") of these younger people who are obviously talented and hard working very refreshing.

Brian
    100% agree! They are not professional performers, just eager, talented, hard working folks.

Anyone know when Leo's next video is out? It should have been this weekend in the normal course of events.

Anyone know when Leo's next video is out? It should have been this weekend in the normal course of events.
    I would imagine that he's spending a lot of time cleaning up the old property, transporting materials and tools to the new place and setting up the new shop. Probably nothing too exciting for video.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

"There is no new video this week, I'm afraid - I just couldn't get it finished on time. Sorry guys!But moving into the new workshop is going well and it feels great to be joining the wonderful wooden boat community in Port Townsend.

This is what Leo put out a few days ago. Looks like he is enjoying his move.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Great, thanks for that. I'll settle for Mark Reuten at Nomad Boats this weekend, then, and wait until next week for Leo.

The latest from Leo.
    https://youtu.be/Yif5xjRF9Og
    The new shop/building looks like it will be a great place to work and should be quite efficient. Seems to me like it will be great for Pete and his co-op as well as they can gradually build their business up and take over the space that Leo is renting once Tally Ho is complete. A good way to incrementally build the business and have expansion options later. A win all around.
    Tom

The latest from Leo.
    The new shop/building looks like it will be a great place to work and should be quite efficient. Seems to me like it will be great for Pete and his co-op as well as they can gradually build their business up and take over the space that Leo is renting once Tally Ho is complete. A good way to incrementally build the business and have expansion options later. A win all around.

I wonder if Peteís ole dog made the crossing, didnít see it in the video.

Looks like Leoís found about a ideal setting to finish up the work. The whole things been a series of good situations for Leo, the right person / place at the right time along with his hard work ethic to push thru the rough patches.
    Quite a under taking!

Tom Jackson's extended interview with Leo:

https://www.woodenboat.com/leo-goold...ho-restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Tom Jackson's extended interview with Leo:

https://www.woodenboat.com/leo-goold...ho-restoration
    Great, thanks.

Fairing the deck beams and puttying the seams.

Anybody heard anything?

Via facebook, they are plotting out interior layout. Another week before another video.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

The latest from Leo.
    Are you sure the plan isn't for Leo to expand and take over the shop?
    Is there any doubt about the quality of his marketing through this series?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. He's the man I'd go to - if I had the choice.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Latest update....tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Latest update....tomorrow.

That's when we'd normally expect it.

Correct, sorry.

Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Are you sure the plan isn't for Leo to expand and take over the shop?
    Is there any doubt about the quality of his marketing through this series?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. He's the man I'd go to - if I had the choice.
    I think Leo’s plan is to go sailing. I don’t think he is interested in running a boat shop. Pete on the other hand...
    Tom

Interior mock up.

Those guys make everything look easy. Mocking up and installing the interior of my boat was one of the hardest parts of the build.

Building the hull is only half the job. It's amazing he got this far. It's great that he is taking us along for the ride.
    "I see!" said the blind man who picked up his hammer and saw.

I wonder if he's got a naval architect doing all those drawings or does he possess that skill also?
    Nice how he seems to get paper templates printed up of the interior hull curves for the bulkheads from the drawings rather then having to figure it out by hand.
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 09-06-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Another great video.

I think climbing in and out of the tunnel-like berth in the aft cabin would get old after a while. It reminds me too much of a tent with a door at one end. I know he is thinking about sleeping as a couple, but I'd prefer to see two bunks one above the other. That would also allow a panel in the bulkhead to access the port side of the engine if needed. He could mock up that arrangement in his apartment and see how it works over the long term. Maybe he could build something that can convert from one to the other?

I agree about the quarter berth. My suspicion is that he's setting the boat up to take paying guests.Not a bad idea.

On another note, I worry what the tax authorities think of his financial set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I agree about the quarter berth. My suspicion is that he's setting the boat up to take paying guests.Not a bad idea.

On another note, I worry what the tax authorities think of his financial set up.
    Wouldn't paying guests mean watertight bulkheads and all sorts of Coast Guard regs?

I think Patreon/YouTube income is far more attractive these days than paying guests. I see him planning for what he says -- long term cruises for four and short term races with up to 8 on board. He did mention that he expects to use his nav station to double as a video editing spot.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Wouldn't paying guests mean watertight bulkheads and all sorts of Coast Guard regs?
    I'd imagine she will be British registration. He definitely has the documents to claim US built for the Jones act, should he go that way.

And, for US passengers its all pretty easy with US build and six or fewer pax. Over 6 pax and you have to be certified, which is a major undertaking, from the beginning where Coast Guard marine safety office has to approve scantlings and so on...not to mention bulkkhead, plumbing and wiring requirements, and on and on.

Bulkheads.