Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152425

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    You are correct. My apologies. It is indeed a varnish....
    Thank you. Much appreciated. Sorry if I got a little irritable in making my point.

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

I am not accustomed to seeing diagonally-double-planked bulkheads in boats. I have always seen plywood. Is this how bulkheads were traditionally constructed before plywood came into common use? For some reason I expected the exposed planks to be vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bartlett View Post
    I am not accustomed to seeing diagonally-double-planked bulkheads in boats. I have always seen plywood. Is this how bulkheads were traditionally constructed before plywood came into common use? For some reason I expected the exposed planks to be vertical.
    Yes. Possibly big boat practice. I have seen them in a small coastal schooner built in South Cumbria forming the main bulkheads.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Mast partners. It's a pity he didn't show how he figured out the dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Mast partners. It's a pity he didn't show how he figured out the dimensions.
    May be just copied the dimensions of the one that he took out?
    I would have expected the same thickness as the moulding of the beam, but hey.

Did you see the size of those tie rods? Holy moly that's gonna be a boat that will surly hold together. One of Leo's greatest skills is blending massive strength while maintaining proportion and elegance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Mast partners. It's a pity he didn't show how he figured out the dimensions......
    He showed us the drawing, so presumably he built it as per the original design albeit in one piece.

More mast partners and a mention of the deck. I wonder it it's going ti be swept or straight laid.

It was swept so I expect that again. With only hatches and cockpit coamings, it takes lots of material.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    It was swept so I expect that again. With only hatches and cockpit coamings, it takes lots of material.
    Swept is not so bad, and is yotty. Swept and tapered gobbles the materials.

I found the vid of stripping the old deck. It was original and swept.

Today's short video. There is one promised for next week too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I found the vid of stripping the old deck. It was original and swept.
    Hes going with semi swept. That would have been my choice too..