Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011 LastLast

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

The transom is not original.

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

I liked the shout outs at 8:17 and 16:43!
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Amazing. I was busy getting drunk at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Ok, I saw some old wood over his head that's all I remembebr />
    Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

I love this project, Leo and his crew. I support him on Patreon and I would encourage others to do so as well. Oh if I was but a bit younger! I think the thing that constantly amazes me is the level of energy in this young man. I am driven in my own projects because of the love of the work and I'm sure it is the same but sometimes I can be worn out just watching him. Cheers all!

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    How do we know? I imagine that it's also on the list of things to get replaced. I don't believe there will be an original piece of wood left in her when done. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The bilge stringer on one side was beautiful and might go back, some planks though I doubt it, the ballast, then there is the deck beam with her official number carved in which might not be in structurally but should be there. We know the transom is not original because it was replaced in 2009 by Manuel Lopez before his death ended his restoration effort. Will Leo keep it? We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    How do we know? I imagine that it's also on the list of things to get replaced. I don't believe there will be an original piece of wood left in her when done. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.
    I inherited my grandfather's 1899 axe. I've only replaced the blade once, and had to replace the handle twice. I wouldn't swap it for anything, cuts great.

I inherited my grandmother's 1910 broom. I've only replaced the head once, and had to replace the handle twice. It still sweeps really well.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Football teams are the same. The coaches change over the years, the players, staff, the jumpers even colours. Some even change regions. Still the same football team to its followers.

I applaud every aspect of Leo's Restoration of Tally Ho and follow the videos keenly having watched each one several times.
    I liken an old boat to the human body although it isn't true that the human body replaces itself every seven years.

This from Snopes.

Using a method that allowed for radiocarbon analysis of individual types of cells, Frisen and his colleagues quantified the age of intestinal cells, skeletal muscle cells, and the gray matter of two brain regions — the cerebral cortex and the cerebellum. Compiling data from multiple individuals, they found:

• The average age of all cells in the intestine was 10.7 years, with epithelial cells (which form the outside of organs and blood vessels) being replaced on average 5 days compared to non-epithelial cells being replaced an average of every 15.9 years.
    • The average age of skeletal muscles was 15.1 years.
    • The average age of cells in the gray matter (cells that make up neurons and other brain matter) of the cerebellum was almost as old as the individual, implying they form when a person is around two years old and remain with them throughout that person’s life.
    • Cells from the grey matter of the occipital-cortex gray matter, however, turnover at a much higher rate.

As NPR also noted, some other cells will also remain with you literally from embryo to death. The cells that make up the central core of the lens of an eye remain with a human from their genesis during embryonic development to their demise at death.
    Because of these outliers, there will never be a period of time over which one can accurately say that all of the cells in your body have been replaced by new ones (even if a vast majority of them will have been replaced in that time period). Therefore, we rank the claim that a human’s body is replaced on the cellular level every seven years as false.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    I inherited my grandfather's 1899 axe. I've only replaced the blade once, and had to replace the handle twice..
    Now; if you have the original blade, and the first handle you replaced, kept somewhere in your shed. And you put them back together.
    Which of the now two axes would be your grandfathers axe?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Why do you think Leo is cutting up the old keel and using some of the teak for other purposes? Hmmm?
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

I thought the old keel was too far gone to be used for anything

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

He thinks in the end that it was elm, as called for in the design. Whether it has been cut up or parts might be reused, I don't know, but there was damage, and lots of fasteners and fastener holes, so even for decorative/interior details it might be much less than ideal.

I remember the last owner of "Taly Ho", Manuel Lopez, putting a replacement piece of wood that looked, suspiciously like Alaska Yellow cedar on a slant that was not even enough of an angle to be called a scarf joint! Tha piece looked to be about three feet in length at the upper part of the stem. I knew then that the boat needed someone who knew their stuff to do the job correctly! When I get back to Port Townsend, I plan to go up to Sequim and shake Leo's hand!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I remember the last owner of "Taly Ho", Manuel Lopez, putting a replacement piece of wood that looked, suspiciously like Alaska Yellow cedar on a slant that was not even enough of an angle to be called a scarf joint! Tha piece looked to be about three feet in length at the upper part of the stem. I knew then that the boat needed someone who knew their stuff to do the job correctly! When I get back to Port Townsend, I plan to go up to Sequim and shake Leo's hand!
    Jay
    Whatever is your point? Just to demonstrate your mastery of the boat building craft over Manuel Lopez?
    I was in Brookings on a job while Tally Ho was being worked on by Mr. Lopez and other volunteers. Brookings is in a very isolated area on the border between Oregon and California. There were very few boatwrights with appropriate skill to restore this wonderful boat. I would think that you should be applauding Leo and crew's terrific current work. Manuel Lopez and his efforts could perhaps be said to have kept the boat visible and thus ultimately save her.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Why do you think Leo is cutting up the old keel and using some of the teak for other purposes? Hmmm?
    This comment was entirely jocular, guys!
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

just watched episode 52.
    That fit for the graving piece is just insane. I feel like throwing away my tools and giving up in despair.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    just watched episode 52.
    That fit for the graving piece is just insane. I feel like throwing away my tools and giving up in despair.
    I know the feeling. And then he used a polyurethane glue instead of epoxy. I didn't expect that. Anyone familiar with the specific type? It wasn't Gorilla Glue.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Whatever is your point? Just to demonstrate your mastery of the boat building craft over Manuel Lopez?
    I was in Brookings on a job while Tally Ho was being worked on by Mr. Lopez and other volunteers. Brookings is in a very isolated area on the border between Oregon and California. There were very few boatwrights with appropriate skill to restore this wonderful boat. I would think that you should be applauding Leo and crew's terrific current work. Manuel Lopez and his efforts could perhaps be said to have kept the boat visible and thus ultimately save her.
    Possibly true, but it would have been no more difficult to Put a longer scarf into that stem than the 1:1 that i just watched being dismantled.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Movement in large timber vs epoxy not quite pliable enough? I know they use some of these polyurethane adhesives to bond steel to steel in the Auto industry

Turkey looks like a nice place to do some sailing.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

If he has re lofted the vessel and will end up re placing EVERY single stick of wood, what has been the point or good of any former maintenance.
    Young feller is building a reputation and a career ,not just a boat.

I recall he replaced frames in situ within the existing planking. Not relofted as far as I know.

Totally relofted, back to the plan.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by relofted. Are you saying the shape of the hull has been substantially changed?

If you followed the videos. Tally Ho was on a reef at one time in I believe Tonga and the repairs changed one side of the ship significantly. Leo built a lofting floor in his shop and lofted everything full size. Once all the frames are in both side of the ship will be identical again.

Ah, thank you. Haven't watched most of his videos.

I see no problem with replacing every splinter toothpick and stick on that boat! She will still be tally ho Inccidentally, nearly every piece needs to be replaced anyhow

Leo figures the boat was not even originally BUILT accurately to her lines , aside the port side mash up .
    He is doing easily twice the work of building new.

I've been following fairly routinely. It would break me to take on such a thing.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

He's doing some miracle work over there on the wet coast. She'll be accurately built and probably better built than originally. Quality of timber may be questionable as to whether the new is better than the old. She lasted over a century with the old timber so it wasn't terrible. This new stuff may be better or may not be but she'll last another century I'm pretty sure.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I'm not 100 percent sure on the suitability of the purple wood for the keel. I hear the toredos vastly prefer it over the green one .
    Never seen a keel built of it.

Wiz, I imagine Leo will be using bucket loads of copper paint attempting to prevent worm damage.