Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20293031 ... LastLast
Results 1,016 to 1,050 of 1127

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

1. Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
      ya sure?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    It puts more strain on the floors , no?
    But does it - at least in any way that matters? The floors and keel timber are all in compression whether the ballast is inside or out.
    You need more internal ballast, so arguably there is actually more load under many sailing conditions trying to separate the the keel and floors from the frames and garboard.
    But for a full length ballast keel like this, although the sideways load on the centerline structure must go up when heeling with more external ballast, it's distributed along the entire length of the hull and I suspect that the additional strain on any given floor is a lot less that you think it might be.
    If that was a bulb type fin keel, I'd agree with you, but for practical purposes on this style of hull, I don't think a few percent ballast moving in to out would make a jot of difference to the scantlings.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Doug fir would work, but would be less rot and worm resistant, so, not better in my book.
    And I think good fir would maybe cost more than good AYC these days ?
    Good fir is simply not available. All of the doug fir put into the working wooden boat fleet locally has had to be replaced within 10 years. The newer growth doesn't stand up to service even after appropriate air drying. Fir can work for decking but not hull planks.
    1960 LeClerq 36' Commercial Salmon Troller F/V Alcor

Doug Fir can be found, but you have to pay dear for it, and or mill it yourself.
    But I agree that that "good stuff" is difficult to source, and if you are on a budget good quality Sapele will be less money.
    Spar grade can still be had and in long lengths, but at something over $10-15/ft
    I was around a bit when the Thayer was rebuilt and the Fir that went into that ship would make you cry...

8CB520AF-B7E1-4254-82E3-11DC097CA276.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Doug Fir can be found, but you have to pay dear for it, and or mill it yourself.
    But I agree that that "good stuff" is difficult to source, and if you are on a budget good quality Sapele will be less money.
    Spar grade can still be had and in long lengths, but at something over $10-15/ft
    I was around a bit when the Thayer was rebuilt and the Fir that went into that ship would make you cry...

8CB520AF-B7E1-4254-82E3-11DC097CA276.jpg
    Yar. The older Two and I got aboard when they were installing the ceiling. I have never seen such large, long timbers of such quality in one place. That stuff is unreal.

ETA: I used to have a source of fir and pine and oak locally, but his property and mill burned some years ago, and he never recovered. I have done limited building since, unless as a project for a person footing the bill.

Time for our next fix.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Review of current tasks.

The craftsmanship is mind boggling.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Tool sharpening.

Some excellent tips and techniques.

But do not clean a plane body with a powered wire brush wheel, the cast iron is too soft.

Also, you are better putting the iron in and tightening the cap when flattening the sole.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

brass wire wheel ?
    not steel

brass wire wheel ?
    not steel
    You are going to flatten the sole with fine sandpaper on a flat surface. Do the sides at the same time. No need to buy a brass wire wheel.

Prop shaft and coupling.

Thanks, Gareth.

Not much woodworking in that video, but it was fascinating.
    -Dave

Thrust bearings and CV joints are an education for a small boat guy. Really like the idea of the bronze chains running through the limber holes. Pretty slick!
    Last edited by Woody Jones; 09-12-2022 at 04:28 PM.

I wonder how much that shiny prop costs? One very pretty penny I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I wonder how much that shiny prop costs? One very pretty penny I would think.
    I thought they were in the $5K ballpark, but here is a 15" 3 blade for $3K.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Not much woodworking in that video, but it was fascinating.
    Not much woodwork in this one either.

This is where smart people like Leo hire experts to figure things out.
    My eyes glazed over when the guy was explaining what everything did.
    I grasped some of it but would have no clue how to wire it.

Lot of unneccesary expense in that electronics setup. It is first class, but two seperate inverters for two different voltages? Geez. Just one of the inverters weighs 45 kg, for comparison my inverter weighs .25 kg and plugs into a cigarette lighter. Its powering this laptop right now. Shore power is not used "out there." I have not plugged into shore power in over a year. The countries where one is likely to leave the boat for hurricane season and therefore be in a marina, Aus and NZ for example, will not allow him to use shore power until their electricians have approved the wiring. This means meeting new wire color conventions etc... Most boats I've talked to choose not to plug in rather than rewire to a different country's standard.

I wonder about recharging that giant battery bank, if it will just be from the main engine. Boats with that kind of lithium bank usually have 2kW solar arrays, but I can't see Leo doing that to Tally Ho.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Lot of unneccesary expense in that electronics setup. It is first class, but two seperate inverters for two different voltages? Geez. Just one of the inverters weighs 45 kg, for comparison my inverter weighs .25 kg and plugs into a cigarette lighter. Its powering this laptop right now. Shore power is not used "out there." I have not plugged into shore power in over a year. The countries where one is likely to leave the boat for hurricane season and therefore be in a marina, Aus and NZ for example, will not allow him to use shore power until their electricians have approved the wiring. This means meeting new wire color conventions etc... Most boats I've talked to choose not to plug in rather than rewire to a different country's standard.

I wonder about recharging that giant battery bank, if it will just be from the main engine. Boats with that kind of lithium bank usually have 2kW solar arrays, but I can't see Leo doing that to Tally Ho.
    Perhaps Leo will be recharging the battery bank through the appropriate inverter?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Perhaps Leo will be recharging the battery bank through the appropriate inverter?
    Maybe for daysailing from his eventual home port, but certainly not during the extended cruising he has mentioned. There just isn't any power available in most places along the likely route.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Maybe for daysailing from his eventual home port, but certainly not during the extended cruising he has mentioned. There just isn't any power available in most places along the likely route.
    If you look at 13.20 in on the last video it is explained that the power comes from the shore, through the inverters and into the batteries. Then there is wiring from the batteries to the internal systems. That looks like a provision to take shore power from wherever Tally Ho goes, with or without Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    If you look at 13.20 in on the last video it is explained that the power comes from the shore, through the inverters and into the batteries. Then there is wiring from the batteries to the internal systems. That looks like a provision to take shore power from wherever Tally Ho goes, with or without Leo.
    Yes I know, my question is as to how he intends to fill the batteries when away from shore power, which is most of the time when cruising. It appears likely he will be dependant on the main engine. Solar is the norm these days, there are just a few anti social folks in each harbor running the engine every evening. But tally ho doesn't lend itself to a big solar array, hence my interest. It is going to be a project to feed that big battery bank.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison;[URL="tel:6732402"
    6732402[/URL]]Yes I know, my question is as to how he intends to fill the batteries when away from shore power, which is most of the time when cruising. It appears likely he will be dependant on the main engine. Solar is the norm these days, there are just a few anti social folks in each harbor running the engine every evening. But tally ho doesn't lend itself to a big solar array, hence my interest. It is going to be a project to feed that big battery bank.
    My recollection from the motor episode is that he has the main engine coupled to a motor-generator for hybrid propulsion, and also charging. I don’t think that we’ve seen any of those parts yet?
    Dreaming of sailing in Iowa, building a Carnell Nutmeg.

I think the prop is set up to spin and generate electricity to the batteries while under sail. I don't see him using the electric motor all that much so I doubt those batteries will be drained very much.

Hmmm,.... It is my understanding that a "free spinning" prop causes more drag than a locked prop when underway. I guess that will be the cost for being able to charge the batteries while underway.

Leo discusses the engine and how it is used in episode87, from 23 minutes in and episode 115, 16 minutes in.

It was a pitch adjustable propeller, no?

I think 'feathering' vs variable pitch, like a Maxprop. Pitch selected when it is assembled, will feather to neutral sailing, blades reverse when reversing. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    It was a pitch adjustable propeller, no?
    I think that it is one of those cleaver designs that always transmits power, what ever the shaft is doing. I can not see any mechanism to control the pitch from inside the boat.

I'm actually just working on adding propeller shaft generation to our boat to supply our electrical demand while under way, and I expect we could figure on about 400W being generated. We are dragging around a big 3 bladed prop that is spinning, so might as well get some benefit from it. I know that in theory this energy has to come from somewhere (boat speed), but we are such a heavy displacement boat it's not going to be noticeable. Like most traditional boats a big solar arch has no place on board. It will take a while to generate the energy used motoring around on electric power.

I think the good thing about the hybrid engine he is using is that it could be used as a pretty good generator if the loads are matched at a low idle speed. I did this on our old boat with a high output alternator and ~27HP yanmar. I'd turn off the field current while actually using the motor for propulsion to not load the engine too much.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark0; 09-28-2022 at 05:23 PM. Reason: removed mistake that Leo is using fixed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post

FYI Leo is using a fixed 4 bladed prop.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Is he?

Really?

No, my mistake ! It isn't fixed... I was just surprised it's 4 bladed.