Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Edensaw has been selling a lot of purpleheart lately. I think 3 spitsgatters have been given new keels of the stuff in the NWMC shop in the past year.

Leo certainly isn't dithering, he launched right into that keel!
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Edensaw has been selling a lot of purpleheart lately. I think 3 spitsgatters have been given new keels of the stuff in the NWMC shop in the past year.

Leo certainly isn't dithering, he launched right into that keel!
    The other option, not an option on an antique boat is a built-up lamination like our friend Steve I think his name is is doing on the diesel duck he's building( he posts on Facebook mostly)

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

I love this project! And I'm loving the videos. If I find myself on that side of the country, I'd be honored to lend a hand.
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

Bloody amazing. I know people have been building boats nearly forever. But this is one young guy. He's going to get that purple heart down to a point where the 2 pieces fit together just about perfectly, right along the 6 feet of that scarph, and right across it. That's phenomenal.

I think Leo is highly deserving of whatever support you might care to offer. He seems to have his eyes wide open and he has had the good fortune to tap into Captain Robert D'Arcy's (Schooner MARTHA) deep well of experience. His focused energy and thoughtful approach to problems is rewarding to see when so often others might turn to daydreaming or procrastinating. I am enjoying following his progress and only wish that we were closer to Sequim.

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

I once had a large poster that was hung on the wall at university. It showed a newly fledged seagull just about to launch itself for the very first time from a ledge high up on a sheer cliff face. The caption below read "It can...because it thinks it can"

Leo's approach to the Tally Ho project is akin to the unwavering self confidence of that bird.
    How can he possibly climb that mountain of a task? Simply because he thinks he can!

Subscribed.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right.
    — Henry Ford

Just watched the new video from Leo, just amazing. I am officially a fan. Can't figure out how to link yet.

Copy share link from YouTube then you post it into the video icon insert here on the page

This Kid Rock's!! look at that scarf joint !

Last edited by DeniseO30; 01-27-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Thanks for the info Denise, and yeh Leo's quite the craftsman no doubt.

Wow. Just like I said he would. Amazing work.

Impressive -- doing single-handed what's normally done with a crew. And apparently powered by Ramen noodles!
    -Dave

Leo's efforts are indeed impressive. Ah youth!.....
    I see, however, what I see with pro football (american) players when they absorb yet another blow to the head.
    Future problems. Un-wisely physically destructive.
    I guess you could say that is a pessimistic, non-supportive view.
    I think I look at it like Leo is a close relative, son, cousin or nephew maybe...
    It kind of worries me!
    I watch and enjoy football.
    I watch and enjoy the restoration of Tally Ho.

And a beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Impressive -- doing single-handed what's normally done with a crew. And apparently powered by Ramen noodles!

very fine work from Leo again. it would be a real pleasure to work such beautiful timber despite its density and the constant need to resharpen the tools. what a great sense of satisfaction he must be getting despite the long hours and hard work.

someone send that boy an Adz!

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    At ~$10/bd ft, that keel ran about $6,000. Expensive but not totally outrageous. Id certainly make sure I used every scrap like hes doing.
    Exactly what he said in the latest update, Jim. And yes, roughly what I expect to spend on an entire (but far smaller) boat. And he hasn't even got near the expensive gear yet. I sent him some beer or noodle money, whichever. I feel guilty watching him sweat it out for my vicarious pleasure.
    -Dave

If he can re saw the teak keel it will recover a chunk of that cost. The expensive bits won't come until near the end, at which point the risk will be very limited as the hull will be close to completion. - Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    Leo's efforts are indeed impressive. Ah youth!.....
    I see, however, what I see with pro football (american) players when they absorb yet another blow to the head.
    Future problems. Un-wisely physically destructive.
    I guess you could say that is a pessimistic, non-supportive view.
    I think I look at it like Leo is a close relative, son, cousin or nephew maybe...
    It kind of worries me!
    I watch and enjoy football.
    I watch and enjoy the restoration of Tally Ho.
    I didnt see him hit his head. But yes, doing that sort of heavy work long term would like cause back or other joint damage. Maybe not so much at his age.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

^All that hand planing... I gotta turn him on to 5000rpmX 16 grit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I didnt see him hit his head.
    Well, a metaphorical concussion, then, okey?

and on cue, the latest video shows him doing exactly that!!!!
    Looks like he might just know what he's doing
    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    ^All that hand planing... I gotta turn him on to 5000rpmX 16 grit.

That is a flap sander. Painfully slow ..and he has the HANDLE still on!!!
    (kidding, I know He knows which end is up)

Good to see him back in the promised land.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    I can't help but wonder if he felt a need to prove he is actually a boat builder

I wonder how much money he has saved up to continue with Tally-Ho by making 4 floors in a shop in Cornwall. The air fare must have swallowed that pay up.

When I was at school, I did two weeks work experience (remember that) at Penpol, mostly plastic then.

Doubt it very much

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    I can't help but wonder if he felt a need to prove he is actually a boat builder

Huge bits of timber to make those floors!

I wonder how much money he has saved up to continue with Tally-Ho by making 4 floors in a shop in Cornwall. The air fare must have swallowed that pay up.
    I keep thinking there's old money somewhere in this, aside from that possibly the shop needed some publicity and he is very good at making videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Huge bits of timber to make those floors!
    I thought so at first too, but then thought of whole nice trees that only go into the stove.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I thought so at first too, but then thought of whole nice trees that only go into the stove.
    There are many smaller parts that can be made from The Leftovers

I don't think Leo, being British, can (legally) work here in the US.