One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noyb72
    • Sep 2013

Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Will be following with great interest. Thank you for saving her.
    Ron

Comment

• pcford
      boatwright/film/video
      • Jul 2002

Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Leo,

I was down in Brookings on a job a few years ago and I saw Tally Ho down in the boatyard. Best of luck to you. Looks like you have a great setup in Sequim. I may pay you a visit in the future. Good luck!! best/pcf

Comment

• jackster
        • May 2002

The latest video...

Comment

• Rich Jones
          What boat to build next?
          • Apr 2009

Yikes! Dealing with building inspectors, especially after you've built something without a permit, can be a real pain. Sometimes they're nice as long as you cooperate and have a professional set of plans, or they can be real nasty if you have an attitude.
          In this case, it looks like a well built shed, but does it comply with set-back requirements, height requirements, etc?
          Hope that all ends well.
          I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
          Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Larks
            Larks
            • Jul 2007

Nice work on the concrete removal Leo and good luck with the building inspector mate
            Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
            “It’s risky”, said experience.
            “It’s pointless”, said reason.
            “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• Phil Y
              Banned
              • Apr 2010

Big job. Good luck.

Comment

• Slacko
                • Nov 2010

Good luck with the inspector!
                The neighbours complaint was probably about the jackhammer as much as the structure.

Comment

• Don Scott
                  • May 2007

Yes, I agree with you, Slacko. It might be a good diplomatic move to approach the complainant (if approachable) and having a friendly chat. That way you can be sure of finding out what is the true nature of the complaint, which is very important. There are many ways to skin a cat and it may be a wise move to offer some form of compromise which might include some restriction on working hours or days, etc. It will do you no harm to try and smoke the peace pipe. It may be the difference between carrying on the project or, HEAVEN FORBID, its abandonment.

Whatever you do, don't make waves. The inspector and the disgruntled neighbour (like all of us) are human and must surely appreciate the marvellous commitment that you have made and come to some agreeable deal that ensures the future of this boat.

I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavour...you deserve it. TALLY HO !

Comment

• marujo.sortudo
                    • Nov 2009

Ugh. Looks like a well-built shed to me, but building codes, etc. may say something else. Wish you the best. Love the videos you're putting together and will continue to follow with great interest. Love the second solution for concrete removal, too. Clever and worth keeping in memory.

Comment

• BBSebens
                      No Member
                      • Jan 2008

My word, you are certifiably mad! In the best way.

You certainly came to the right part of the country, there is a plethora of wonderful wooden boat nuts in the Puget Sound area.

If you come up against one particularly large project, try arranging a work party! I suspect there's a few folks who wouldn't mind pitching in a few hours labor for a good cause.
                      There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

El Toro Dinghy Springline
                      12’ San Francisco Pelican Sounder
                      Laguna 18

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2007

West Coast need permits and building inspectors for a temporary structure? what is the roof, is it a tarpaulin?... hmmm around here we can just put up a temporary car port/ boat shed / green house... etc steel pipe/wooden frame and tarp structure no problem... as long as it is "temporary"

Comment

• jackster
                          • May 2002

Latest YOUTUBE installment...

Comment

• Larks
                            Larks
                            • Jul 2007

Mate, that’s a massive undertaking lifting her off the lead like that, well done (no wonder your hair sometimes looks like you’ve been plugged into 1200V ), it makes my concerns about lifting my piddling 28’er off her lead pale into insignificance - but gives me a whole lot more confidence in doing it.
                            Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
                            “It’s risky”, said experience.
                            “It’s pointless”, said reason.
                            “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• andrewpatrol
                              • Sep 2010

Certainly got my attention, especially when it took on a tilt
                              And he doesn’t seem to think anything of it.
                              needs a new descriptive word inserted between “One” and “insane” but i cant write it here!
                              Last edited by andrewpatrol; 10-28-2017, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Dody
                                Tonga!
                                • Jun 2017

Awsome, thank you for sharing this with us, really an inspiration! For quite a while now I was breaking my head how in the world I can attack this on Tonga when I get there. Much clearer to me now!
                                fair winds, Dody
                                "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain
                                www.tongabonds.com

Comment

Working...