Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Thanks for alerting us.
    What a commitment.

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Have we ever in the history of this forum seen someone with no money take on a project like this and execute with such expertise, efficiency and panache?
    -Dave

I love the whole concept and hang out for the new Video each month.
    81000 Views on the new video in 17 Hours.
    If each viewer donated $ 5.00 the $ 400000 dollars + would finish the project.
    I have donated this month.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Have we ever in the history of this forum seen someone with no money take on a project like this and execute with such expertise, efficiency and panache?
    Ting is, Leo is not really here , on the forum.

He's only a click away.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    The Acorn to Arabella guys started with much less and are learning (and teaching)as they go. I support both projects.

Just my 2 cents

I completely agree that what Leo is doing is awesome, amazing, he is a talented shipwright no doubt about it!

But this whole "no money" thing is not correct.

We are also on Patreon and YouTube and we have just under 800 backers on Patreon ( https://www.patreon.com/acorntoarabella) and Leo has over 1,800 patrons (https://www.patreon.com/sampsonboatco).

With that we currently get $4.5k a video so with caps it's almost $7k a month. Plus another grand or two from YouTube add revenue (Leo with more views and more subscribers obviously makes more).

I would happily eat my hat if Leo is getting less than $10k a video or close to $20k a month on Patreon. We also get online and cash donations which I am sure he is getting as well.

I am not trying to downplay his accomplishments, I am in no way jealous (we are doing just fine and even hired full time editing help!)

I am just saying the perception of him being broke and paying for Tally-Ho from his savings are just inaccurate. I know he has to buy all the lumber and such and that is not cheap but one Patreon video would have paid for all his purple heart stern timbers.

All the power to him for being able to do what he is doing, just realize there is a lot of money and support coming in. There has been nothing like it on the forum because someone with the resources he has, has not done a project like this.
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

Yes, Steve, you guys are HERE . You help others as they help you .
    Big up to both of you of course!
    But I humbly suggest my boat ,Woodwind, has been the most bang for the buck in the history of the forum.
    Not given to the forum per we, not sayin dat, (that might be Jim Ledger ,Ian M.or Paladin),but the vessel herself, built fast , cheap and pounding lots of salt water still.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 04-08-2019 at 04:30 PM.

And it is any wonder why he’s not on here with the above few posts? Let alone where would he find time. I am thankful i can watch someone who has the skills and is willing to share some of his knowledge.
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 04-08-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdenette View Post
    Just my 2 cents

I completely agree that what Leo is doing is awesome, amazing, he is a talented shipwright no doubt about it!

But this whole "no money" thing is not correct.

We are also on Patreon and YouTube and we have just under 800 backers on Patreon ( https://www.patreon.com/acorntoarabella) and Leo has over 1,800 patrons (https://www.patreon.com/sampsonboatco).

With that we currently get $4.5k a video so with caps it's almost $7k a month. Plus another grand or two from YouTube add revenue (Leo with more views and more subscribers obviously makes more).

I would happily eat my hat if Leo is getting less than $10k a video or close to $20k a month on Patreon. We also get online and cash donations which I am sure he is getting as well.

I am not trying to downplay his accomplishments, I am in no way jealous (we are doing just fine and even hired full time editing help!)

I am just saying the perception of him being broke and paying for Tally-Ho from his savings are just inaccurate. I know he has to buy all the lumber and such and that is not cheap but one Patreon video would have paid for all his purple heart stern timbers.

All the power to him for being able to do what he is doing, just realize there is a lot of money and support coming in. There has been nothing like it on the forum because someone with the resources he has, has not done a project like this.
    Without the web, it would not be possible. There will be many hundreds of thousands to rebuild that ship. Actually its not really a rebuild as much as a "build" that involve a lot of full size templates, grandads axe and all that. Leo is doing a spectacular job and good on him for preserving and showcasing a dying trade.
    whatever rocks your boat

My question is: Who owns the boat when done? Will it be his personnal property or a foundation?
    As are others, I am astounded with the level of expertise he has at a relatively young age.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    And it is any wonder why he’s not on here with the above few posts?
    I know right! I don't think I would like my estimated earnings freely discussed on my thread without my knowledge or consultation. People making it all about them.

It sure seems like it is his boat, as it should be. Personally I just chip in to be a fly-on-the-wall. I am curious as to how the finances are structured and what type of visa he ended up securing. With him being a foreign resisdent moving all that money around on I don’t know what kind of visa originally. Not that I care just curious.

I really like how he is showcasing the fruits traditional English boatbuilding. It is great to see that they still get it done without much fuss or expensive overhead. You can learn a lot in a short amount of time in the right environment, Leo is showing that. He also has great drive and attention to detail, and that is priceless. I served a long term English style stonecarving apprenticeship here in the US. Seeing videos of his friends in the UK reminds me of that experience.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Just to be very clear.
    I think the support Leo has is awesome and fully deserved. Like Paul G said resoring Tally will cost several hundred thousand, Leo himself has said it could cost that much. So the support is needed, warranted and he certainly has a budget to work within, I don't believe he is getting rich doing this by any means!

My only point was it is inaccurate of Woxbox to say "
    someone with no money" because
    that's just not true.

I shared the links and laid it out that way because a lot of people don't understand where the money comes from and how that works. I hope few of you saw the link and supported him!

He is doing a great thing but he is doing it with money and support as he should be and deserves to be. To say he is accomplishing what he is without any money is not true and sets an unrealistic expectation for others =)
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

The point is he "started it" with no money and the money came. I remember his video asking his audience if he should join patreon. I'm guessing never in his wildest dreams did he think it could be completely funded. Good luck to both of youse!!

Totally agree Geftb,
    The money is not really a big deal. I give to the two builders mentioned here gladly ( and another as well) to support their endeavours. If i was there I’d be volunteering as well.
    To talk about the money is missing the whole point of the excercise, who cares who owns the boat, who cares how its funded, who cares if Leo doesn’t have time for this forum.
    He is providing a job to volunteers and if they are unpaid in $$$ then I’d imagine they will be richer for the experience as are all of us.

Agree. If someone wants to know what Leo is making. Ask Leo!! in a private forum. At least then he has a say in it.
    The thread, his contribution, is in the videos his making.

Having started out with no money the "no money" mindset will linger on for years.
    That is built into the workings of a sound and sane human brain.
    Leo doesn't seem very insane does he.....

Last year there was none. Last month there was none. Last week there was none. Yesterday there was none. Today there is money...... will it be there tomorrow..... probably not..... better pay off debths and buy some much needed materials and keep doing things as if there was none.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

I think sdenette posts are well thought out and I for one appreciate the honesty. If you put your work out on the internet and use Youtube / Pateron revenue streams the income information from that are in the public domain. It's not like anybody is posting my personal employment income on a forum - that would be something which should be asked in a private forum.

I am a bit jealous of this new revenue stream, as we have fully self funded our build over the years. I do understand the massive amount of work required to produce these high quality videos and you need some thick skin for the comments , so it's a bit of a double edged sword.

Cheers,
    Mark

My 2 cents regarding money. It’s an ugly topic and none of my business. Whatever money Leo and the Arabella fellows receive in their endeavors, I see it as payment for “content,” and they deserve every penny. The pleasure I get watching them work, not to mention the education is fantastic. When you consider the quality and infrastructure involved in commercial television compared to what these guys are doing, if they come out of their respective projects with only a small nest egg and a big boat it’ll be far too little.

Another neat thing is the built in audiences these guys will have once their boats are launched. They can go on worldwide adventures and if they can keep the videos good enough to keep up the view count, which seems likely, their viewers will be funding the whole thing.

The beauty of these types of online builds and or restorations is the video documenting of everything, my guess is old English money will be purchasing the boat when it is complete. The UK seems to be one of the few places high-end wooden boats are still desired. Not to slight the Pacific Northwest of course.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Its curious how Americans seem so obsessed about the financial aspects of these builds.
    On the UK forums/facebook groups I hang out on, there is very rarely mention of the financial side, other than maybe the cost of a particular item.
    We have numerous people rebuilding big old trawlers on working persons wages, certainly not the hundreds of thousands/millions that seem to be required in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    And it is any wonder why he’s not on here with the above few posts? Let alone where would he find time. I am thankful i can watch someone who has the skills and is willing to share some of his knowledge.
    I was thinking the same thing! I've watched a lot of the videos on both channels and I like them both. Leo is doing a significant amount of work, and creating the videos. I'm not a boatbuilder, yet, but I have really enjoyed just lofting a few boats for fun and learned a lot throughout the process by just doing it and getting some info from off of this website. I thought Leo's videos on lofting were exceptionally impressive. You could see that it was somewhat of a continued learning process for him but he was proceeding through it quickly based on the timeline he was producing the videos in. I never could find any videos that went into detail on the lofting process. That's actually how I found Leo's Youtube channel I think.

I thought the videos on the Acorn to Arabella channel about taking Victoria apart were the most informative. I wish more videos had been taken/created to review and talk more about the structural methods used in Victoria's design. Louis Sauzedde, on Tips from a Shipwright, did a great job with his videos where he repaired an H12 that viewers could learn a lot from.

I look forward to seeing both groups progress! Both of the designs they are working on look like beauties for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    The beauty of these types of online builds and or restorations is the video documenting of everything, my guess is old English money will be purchasing the boat when it is complete. The UK seems to be one of the few places high-end wooden boats are still desired. Not to slight the Pacific Northwest of course.
    Maybe that's because you Brits have a facination with boats ingrained deep in your culture while American have a similar facination with money....... I know that I am not qualified as either ethnologist or sociologist but that was just an ide that stuck me.....

In school our geography teacher told us:
    Britain has been overcrowded for generations. Currently they have roughly 10 times the number of people on roughly the same area as Finland. The limit to their population has always been the rate at which they have added storeys to their buildings to provide room for more people...... or cleared people by force.
    Actually their population has usually grown at an ever higher rate than they have managed to build new storeys. Hence some Brits have throughout history ended up living with water up to their knees at high tide because there was just not room for them on dry land. This sort of living isn't very comfortable nor healthy in British winter weather so the Brits learned to build boats to keep their feet dry.
    Once they had plenty of boats and had learned to sail them they found out that they could travel. Ever further as time progressed.
    Once they had started to travel they found out that there were still places where they could in one way or another get enoough space on shore to keep their feet dry even at high tide. Brittany. Ireland. North America. South Africa. India. Australia. And so on as time progressed and their boats could go further. There they settled and formed British colonies.

Those stories was his way of testing if we were awake........... but there is a point in it. Brits and boats are like Finns and saunas........... inseparable.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

"Teacher said"... I think that needs to be taken to the bilge...
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    "Teacher said"... I think that needs to be taken to the bilge...
    Not really. A good honest discussion on funding for a boat building project. I don't think it's getting too negative.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I often wonder about if I had done things differently on my rebuild. It has been 7 years and serious money. But I find it weird asking others to fund my dream, am more private than that, and don't want media people around me filming where I crap under the holly tree.

More fool me I guess.

Funny thing is that Leo is one of those resourceful people that instinctively knows how to put both wood, organisation and nostalgia all together into one package, while efficiently getting the job done well! He is a modern Pied Piper!

He brings Matt Walsh,"The Sorcerer of Hurricane Gulch" and Wayne Ettle to mind for me! These are the kind of people that were the Herreshoff's and Burgesses in a land long ago and far away!

I for one must salute him for that which he is so efficiently doing for and to "Tally Ho!"

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post

yup. so true lup

jim

He will become a celeb in our circles, for better or for worse.