Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8171819 ... LastLast

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Another one, a dash of bureaucracy in this one, but there's sheer strakes too.

Wish you luck and a lot of motivation! You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Another one, a dash of bureaucracy in this one, but there's sheer strakes too.

Leo, so sorry for the problems you are having. You are doing a terrific job. By the way, I saw Tally Ho in Brookings. Best of luck!!
    Pat Ford
    Boatbuilder/Filmmaker Co-founder Center for Wooden Boats/Seattle

Glad to hear Leo is talking to a lawyer. That neighbor is all but begging to get sued.
    -Dave

Speaking of bureaucracy, once Tally Ho is finished, how is this sort of stuff going pan out?
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...oward-legality

Pete

It's an English yacht that has been repaired, so he just needs to leave once done to skirt anything I would expect.

Sounds to me like a harassment case for Leo to bring forward. I wonder what his lawyer will say about it. He's adamant it will continue and she'll be launched. I don't blame him given the progress to date.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Clallum County should hitch its wagon to the project and figure out a way to enable this extraordinarily important effort. Tally Ho is a vessel of historical significance. She will be completed. A question is whether or not the County will be remembered as trying to thwart or assist. They shouldn't hide behind regulations - every bureaucrat has discretion. These are choices they make and, in this instance, is quintessential small minded thinking.

I have looked at Leo's location on Google Earth and he is way far away from any neighbors, in an area that is open and rural. The neighbor who has persistently complained to the county should be ignored by the county.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    I have looked at Leo's location on Google Earth and he is way far away from any neighbors, in an area that is open and rural. The neighbor who has persistently complained to the county should be ignored by the county.
    haters gonna hate...

I have been watching Leo Sampson's videos since #25 came out. I binge watched from #1 until I got caught up, then continued to watch these as they came out.

When I saw the stuff about the county coming down on him in #92 I was utterly flabbergasted. I recalled earlier hearing about Los Angeles County's nuisance abatement teams.

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-xpm...619-story.html

It seems there is no limit to how far away a so called next door neighbor can be and lodge a complaint. The way the county is handling this I think he will be best served by retaining a lawyer.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Clallam County is run by a three-member board. All their email addresses are available here:

http://www.clallam.net/bocc/board_contact.html

It might be time for the thousands/millions of Tally Ho fans and supporters to let the commission know how we feel.
    I think we should hold off on bugging the board until Leo gets an ok from a very good local attorney.

Fun fact: There are nearly four times as many Tally Ho subscribers than residents of Clallum County.

Going up against local government is tricky. I wish him luck at his hearing.
    If things don't go well, I hope he can find a place to finish the boat that won't break the bank.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

What I heard him saying was that he can finish the boat elsewhere, but he'd like to get it more solid before moving it. As in finish the planking and get the deck on. Then he'd have a rigid hull. He may just want to stall the county proceedings until he reaches that point.
    -Dave

Exactly. Thank you for the link.

Reddit and twitter could make the neighbor famous. Hopefully it won't come to that.

I wish him well, but he could be in a world of hurt, and this could just be the beginning of it. He has long ago crossed the line to commercial enterprise, and if he didn't had everything in oder beforehand...

My experience (not in that location) is that actual neighbors at the meeting, supporting the project, will mean more than any outside input.

He’s talking to attorneys. Many options to stretch this out for quite a while.

Leo is being as modest and honest as one could be. People put up with Construction noise generally knowing it will be done on a time table. I feel this weighs upon him as he's been in place for several years. If I had a neighbor building a boat like that I'd have figured I'd had died and gone to heaven... too bad I'm not passionate about junk as those are the "passions" of my two hoarding neighbors on both sides (of course they are brother and sister)....

I've been watching his videos from day one. Right away when he moved into that location I thought there would be zoning trouble. Building a boat of that size really is a light industrial endeavour. I know, I've got one just a touch bigger in my backyard. We purchased this property based on the the lack of neighbours close by, however we still checked zoning laws. We still try to limit our noise, and on weekend mornings try to plan the quieter activities for first thing in the morning. I wouldn't want to be Leo's neighbour. The wining of electric planes seems to be incredibly annoying, so much so I usually grab my hand plane now and just put the work in....

This will work out for him one way or another, these things always do.
    Cheers,
    Mark

I wonder if one of Leo’s plans is to finish the build at the woodenboat cooperative, or whatever it is officially called. That part should be easy enough. His hosts, from what he has said, are ready for the project to move on. The difficulty will be to yes stall the county, and get out of dodge. Maybe the decking won’t be done, but could he put on temp planks to hold it it all in place. As he said he will have to attach the ballast keel as well as move the tons of paraphernalia that supports his project.

Or, Leo forces the country’s hand. Applies for the special use permit with a lawyer. And I do believe he is a real business at this point, I certainly send my money that way each month. Makes all realize that he should stay, finish the boat, under their special use business framework. That’s a can of worms, but maybe the only way he could stay. Funny to think of, as millions of United States Citizens are now working from home, essentially running tiny businesses, un-molested.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Close the boat patreon. Open up a haircut fund patreon. Put the business in bankruptcy reorg. By the time the stay is lifted he will be in a position to move it someplace more welcoming.

Edit-mostly kidding
    Last edited by bluedog225; 03-01-2021 at 09:11 PM.

I'm not sure he should try to come off as a business, lots of immigration and visa issues there. And building a boat in your yard is generally legal, within noise and other limits, as is having your friends help you with it. Running a business is a whole new legal framework with new permits required. And as a business, all those donations would be taxable income.

So what is the Sampson Boat Company? Just a name, or has he incorporated as a not-for-profit organization? His consulting with a lawyer, so I assume that the donations are secure as such, and can not be argued as purchases for commercial videos.

I understand that it's best not to move the boat yet, but it most certainly could be done safely if it came to that.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    So what is the Sampson Boat Company? Just a name, or has he incorporated as a not-for-profit organization? His consulting with a lawyer, so I assume that the donations are secure as such, and can not be argued as purchases for commercial videos.

I understand that it's best not to move the boat yet, but it most certainly could be done safely if it came to that.
    Well said!
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

What donations? Patreon is a subscribe or pay per view platform, exactly like Netflix. The business is making videos, not repairing a boat, and those videos are made in a stable location, falling under the local business rules. There is no arguing about it, it's the same case as writing an article or book about it, the moment people give you money for your product (even if they set the price) it becomes commercial. Even non-profit organizations are just a special case of commercial enterprise, they have a different tax regime, that's all.
    The question to be answered is if the boatbuilding is part of the business or not, and that depends on how you set up shop from a tax point of view. If you take the money from the videos, use some to buy lumber and screws, then pay taxes on what's left, it certainly is. If you pay tax on the whole amount, before using it to purchase anything related to the boat, it's not.

In the US you can receive up to $15000 yearly from any individual tax free as a "gift". There is a lifetime cap, but its in the millions and not likely to be an issue here.

Perhaps he should ditch the patreon and just accept donations directly via paypal. They would not legally be tied to the boat at all, just "gifts." Not a business and not taxable is my understanding.

If you sit in the park and sing, and someone brings you a bottle and drinks it with you, it's a gift. If you do the same thing but have a hat in front of you, it's commercial, and the IRS expects you to declare the bottle. It's about intent, if you offer something expecting remuneration of any kind it's commercial.

Leo's latest message, for those who aren't on his list:

Wow, I’ve been blown away by the amazing outpouring of support and offers of help - thank you so much!
    Almost everyone has given sensible advice and good wishes, but I just want to make a couple of important points.
    If you want to show your support this project in any way, PLEASE do so with calmness, positivity and politeness. Anger or aggression will only make this more difficult for everyone. I’m confident that I can find a solution which will be good for the project and good for everyone involved in this dispute.
    For now, I don’t think there is any need for this community to take independent action. Please just stand by - I will let you know if I need help in any way.
    I have received SO many great messages and comments and suggestions - I can only apologise that I am not able to reply to most of them. Rest assured I appreciate the feedback and advice.
    I’ve been getting some good legal advice and I think I might have a few options becoming available. Like I said in the video, there will be a way forward! I’ll keep you guys updated when I know more.

-Dave

I think the boat can be safely moved. The framework for the deck is in place.

I don't know much about the politics, but it has been a very interesting project and sad that it is in jeopardy. If he has to move, let the next place be free from hassle so Leo can concentrate on what he does so well. I am impressed by his approach to both the project and the distractors. A real gentleman.

A real genleman indeed.