Thread: West Hardener 206

Default West Hardener 206

How full should a new tin (0,2 kg) of West 206 hardener (from an A-Pack) be? I put a new one on the pump today, realized that it was only about half full but - hey, these guys must know what they are doing. The olde resin tin still had some resin left, so I did not put a new resin tin on the resin pump.

Fast forward: New tin of hardener empty even before the rest of the resin from the old tin was empty. So either, there was not enough hardener in the new tin - or my resin pump doesn't deliver correctly any more and I have coated roughly two mē of wood with a mix with far to much hardener ...

Aaarrgghhh

Anyone know, how full the 0,2 kg 206 tin should be when new?

Any good suggestions on way forward if I have coated with far to much hardener?

Default Re: West Hardener 206

I would expect a new container to be full but I suppose errors occur in manufacturing.

Your pump shouldn't care how much epoxy is in the container, it should meter out the same amount it always has (5:1 ratio for West?) until it runs out of material.

Is the applied mixture curing as expected?

Or am I missing something in your question?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Gotta see about the curing later. It's the slow hardener, so it's going to take some time anyway.

The hardener pump is pumping allright. About the resin pump - not 100% shure. The old resin tin has been standing around quite some time and I had to warm the resin in the past already as it had started to cristalize at low temperatures. At that time I also cleaned the resin pump (not looking forward to do that again). But that was two or three winters ago. Some new cristals on the suction valve of the resin pump could change mixing ratio by allowing some flow back when pressing the lever.

Aaarrrggghhh.

And so a small coating job might turn into a big job. Also, I can't continue as I have run out of hardener now and the shop where I can get the stuff is closed already.

I've only opened 25-ish cans of hardener, but I'm cheap, so I always pour the dregs from the old can into the new one.
    I have never been able to do it right away, and always have to wait until there is enough space in the new can.
    I think you got shorted.
    You can easily test pump volume with a shortish piece of clear tubing. Inch or so, diameter.
    Cap or tape one end,do a pump of hardener and measure the height in the tube, then do the resin and measure again.
    R
    Last edited by Ron Williamson; 09-30-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Sleep with one eye open.

Ah yes, nowadays I keep my epoxy supplies near a heat source to keep them from crystallizing. I use System3, it comes in clear plastic jugs so I can see what is going on inside.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

The cans I've bought have had roughly 1/4" of space at the top - I presume for expansion.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The cans have empty space at the top so they won't overflow when you put the pump stem in them. Half a can seems like a bit much, though. The pumps work well for small amounts, but for large jobs, I'd definitely not rely on the pumps. A relatively small error in one pump can quickly add up if you are mixing a batch with a fair number of "pumps."

Thanks for the feedback.

The stuff seems to harden if somewhat slow and with leaving a considerable amount of greasy anilin blush like stuff on the surface. So, before the next coat, I will have to wash down.

New hardener is ordered, wifes kitchen scale has new battery and is packed in a transparent plastic bag, all will be fine. It is just coating, not gluing. Amazing how much resin the wood (beech wood) is sucking up over time.

Any time you are having questions or problems with or about a WEST Epoxy product, rather than wasting time on the internet, just call the Gougeon technical folks. They are excellent and can generally give you the correct answer instantly. On a boat forum (including this one) you would be lucky to get a correct answer that's on point and by someone who has actual hands-on experience with the job or product 60% of the time.

So - one week ago, the first coat went on. Today - it got scraped of and a new first coat put on. We will see. New pump for the new resin can plus a scale have made it clear - the old resin pump did not pump correctly. Today, near the end of the old can, the old pump started to do its job again. I will continue with the scale for the moment.

The hint with calling west is good - I will try that if I continue to have problems. But I doubt I will. The mistake was so fundamental that it fits the problem very well.