Thread: Look for boat plans...

Default Look for boat plans...

Hi all, new to forum, never built a boat before and am thinking of giving it a go.

I live in Hawaii and want a 14' or 15' flat bottom boat thats fairly on the wide side. I'd like to power it with a 9.9, possibly up to 20 hp. Simpler the plans, the better. Any suggestions? I like the LYS I've seen but see only 16' plans. too big.

Thank you!!!!

Default Re: Look for boat plans...

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
    Have a look on here: https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plan...ssrnd=4716.427
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

your specs tell me you would benefit from reading Jim Michalak's book BoatBuilding for Beginners(and beyond)

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/bo...alak/index.htm

it describes building a 14' sailboat in great detail which will help you build his AF-4 Breve, a 15'5" x 5' flat bottomed boat (built using the same methods) that is well proven as being capable and easy to build with beginner's skills

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/ji...reve/index.htm

the book is priced @ $17

the plans for AF-4 Breve are $32.50

both the book and plans are easy to read and understand

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR QUEST

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

thanks for the suggestions. I ordered the book and a few others.

I should also add I would like to have 4 adults on the boat.

Thank you!

Spira international might have a few plans that appeal to you as well
    http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_wood_boats.html

im thinking you're looking more at 16+ foot for that many people (comfortably) but I suppose it depends a lot on your size and comfort !

I was hoping I could go a little wider than longer to accommodate 4 people.

Not to be rude, but i noticed that "some" Hawaians, are BIG people. Are we talking four BIG people? That might be quite the load, i might be thinking of something like a beach dory....

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_sene.php

Dont hesitate to pull in the station frames on a LYS if you want to make it slightly smaller.

Nah. Most of my buds are ~ 160 lbs. 2 of the people will often be my small daughters.

I do like that beach dory. That’s kind of what I am looking for.

Im a novice dummy. What do you mean by pulling in the station frames? Do you mean shorten the “braces” in the front of the boat essentially making the front shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by gkaneko View Post
    Nah. Most of my buds are ~ 160 lbs. 2 of the people will often be my small daughters.

Im a novice dummy. What do you mean by pulling in the station frames? Do you mean shorten the “braces” in the front of the boat essentially making the front shorter?
    o
    As a beginner... you should not be contemplating making unguided changes to the design. If you want something different... it's quite likely that what you're looking for already exists. If not... contact the designer for advice.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Peter Belenky

Thanks for all the suggestions. These are great. I'd like a little flatter bottom than the diablo.

GK, good thought on wanting a flatter bottom than the Diablo. It is a fast boat, but on the "tender" (tippy) side if you are wanting stability for fishing, little ones, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gkaneko View Post

What i mean is reducing the spacings between the frame/moulds, to bring her down to the size you want, been done before on these to increase/decrease the overall length.......though David does have a point about such things. That beach dory is a pretty broad load carrier for its size.

Bill, I was said I wanted a flat bottom only because it looks easier to build. Haha. But yeah, for those reasons too.

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Mcup16.htm

Gkaneko
    Look through this site if you haven't already. Your boat might be in there. Modern building methods and all. I like the power 1 or 1.2. A softer bilge for cross waves and a nice entry. He states it can be shortened. And there is a basic flatbottemed one. I also like the Semi-Dorys. But more work there.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Of these 2, which do you guys recommend? Ease of build is paramount.

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_sene.php
    or
    http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/sf...scal/index.htm

The basic dimensions of those two designs are about the same. With the Pacific Dory being a little bit wider. The differences between The two are as I see it:

The Pacific Dory has significant rocker on its bow. This looks good for running in the open ocean and/or surf beach landing. As is popular in some NW locations.

The Rascal has a much lower bow entry, looks better for running in flatter or choppy conditions. The rake of the stem is significant, this could held cutting waves and chop. It should pound less than the Pacific Dory, in chop.

What are are the conditions you are going to operate in? Are you planning on beach landing with waves, or mainly working off a boat ramp or calm beach? Are you going to be operating in mostly protected waters or the open ocean?

The Rascal has the option to be built Stich and Tape. Some would say this is an easier way to build than plank on frame. You will be provided with the exact panel shapes, so no guess work there. And the designer has a good simple book on how to build this way. I am not sure what details the Spira plans give you, or if stich and tape is an option. But this building method is really your personal call. Whitchever one you are more comfortable with.
    Last edited by Matt young; 10-03-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Matt, thanks for the info. The boat will be used mostly in protected waters of a bay. Some days there is some good wind chop and some small swells in certain areas. Boat will be launched by ramp, very rarely be beach landed.

Regarding stitch and tape method, does this method eliminate the need to glass the whole bottom of the boat? Or is it still recommended? this method does seem easier.

Thank you again.

You dont have to glass the bottom of the boat, but even a very light cloth can add much abrasion protection when hauling on and off trailers or beach landing, for the amount of resin it uses, i have always done the bottoms. The alternative may be to add some stringers on the bottom if you are intending rough treatment.