Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: your commute to work

Default Re: your commute to work

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    Joe I know you're in a much more urban area but how many miles do you put on your service vans a day?
    The key to running a successful mobile business is LOGISTICS.
    So I set up each van within a 30 mile radius for the day.
    That might include a maximum of 10 miles out and back.
    With two vans I give one a NE route and the other a SE route

This is our golden triangle service area

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 4.16.55 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 09-28-2017 at 06:40 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Most of my working life I was within five miles but two exceptions: When I was working on the Columbia River Estuary Study Taskforce plan Cannon Beach to Astoria was 20 something miles of vigorous biking; and when I worked in Boston I was an easy walk when moored for the winters in Boston, but the summer commute from Hyannis involved a little walk to the bus and then sleep . . .

Of course work as an organizer meant traveling to various towns and to members' homes and my organizing was in rural communities so I've had plenty of work miles on my cars.

My totally favorite "commute" was a monthly three or four days on Martha's Vineyard. I'd sail the schooner over and set up outside agitator shop.

Renee's route today. Basically an out an back.

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 4.25.25 PM.jpg

Troys route today basically a circut

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 4.35.07 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 09-28-2017 at 06:41 PM.

59 KM 37 minutes by GPS but the bridge over Halifax Harbour can add anywhere from 5 minutes (normally) to 25 (lately, they're rebuilding the bridge and it's a true PITA). I'd drive further but MUCH rather not. My wife on the other hand, works nearly next door to my office and we drive in together. I get an earful every day about how long the drive is, how we should sell and move closer so she can walk to work.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    59 KM 37 minutes by GPS but the bridge over Halifax Harbour can add anywhere from 5 minutes (normally) to 25 (lately, they're rebuilding the bridge and it's a true PITA). I'd drive further but MUCH rather not. My wife on the other hand, works nearly next door to my office and we drive in together. I get an earful every day about how long the drive is, how we should sell and move closer so she can walk to work.
    then you'd miss out on all that quality time together in the car each day
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Try selling her on that, I don't seem to be a salesman as I've tried that one. She's not buying.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Nowadays, I'm one of the 50 ft. crowd, but I have to travel to client's every so often - which at the moment sucks. 2 weeks home, 1 week in OH - so that's 5-6 hrs each way on Mon & Fri. This will last into November.

About 20 years ago I had a 30 mile commute that took about 40 min. I got a call from a friend in LA from his car complaining about his 2.5 hour commute to go 15 miles. He was bored (in traffic) so I told him my commute that morning: Drove up over the top of the Appalachian Gap. Saw a moose heading to the beaver pond. Continued through Waitsfield (home of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters at the time), over to Route 100B which parallels the Mad River. No deer today, but watched a hawk snag a fish about 100 ft. away from me. Click!

He called back about 1/2 hour later & apologized, but said he just couldn't stand it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

27 miles

4 minute drive followed by an hour and a half date with a commuter express.

Mon-Fri

I've never had a commute this long and can't imagine finding one longer...

Bus Stop.jpg

Ratfarts...sorry about the photo
    Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you've got nothing new to say.

Robert Hunter

3 miles; 15 -20 minutes by bike. Daily. I don't always ride, but I can do it about 150 times per year. The rest of the time I drive. I've driven farther and I would if I needed to.

10 feet
    not quite a minute - less time than it takes the computer to wake up and be told to get mail
    all the time except when I'm not or when I actually have to go take photographs
    No. I tried that and hardly ever got there.

Over the years I've had kinds of work that required me to go to it. For a couple years I drove 20 miles to and from, it took half an hour, Mon-Fri., I liked where I lived and there was no need to move closer to work. Other work had similar drives, could be made to take longer if I took the T, again I had no need to move. When I worked at the paper here in town I also didn't have exactly what you'd call a commute. Go to the paper, get assignments, go out and shoot them all over the upper Cape, get back to the paper, process film in the darkroom and print contact sheet for the editor. The paper was about 8 miles away and in the summer it took 20 minutes to get there because of the Vineyard traffic. In the winter maybe 10 minutes at most.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

I'm with R.L. even have the cap.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

7 miles, around 35 minutes by e-bike and anything from 30 minutes to two hours by car, daily, yes, if needed, I would commute father
    Last edited by Henning 4148; 09-30-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ted hoppe View Post
    excellent job ted !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    It is nice especially when my wife comes in with her french maid outfit.
    That is more than I needed to know, but I am happy for you!

Anyone here commute by jet pack, monorail, or zeppelin?
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Over the past few years I've mainly had 30 minute bicycle commutes. The odd thing about living in Australia's capital is that on a commute from an inner-northern suburb to the office next door to the national parliament, my biggest fear was random kangaroos hopping out on the path in front of me.

I used to do investigations in the NSW far west. A commute could be a 680 mile plane ride, then hire a 4WD, drive a hundred miles, and then turn on to the "drag road" mining trucks use for another 50 miles or so. Spend a few hours there, turn around and go to the next job; or, if the car breaks down outside a town with no public transport and you're lucky enough to get a lift back to town, talk yourself into the back cab of a goods train.

Road.jpg

Until I retired I was amongst other things a carpenter mainly working in this country area. This road is an average for around here, so 30 to 40 minute of this to work, depending on the location of the job and the same in the afternoon coming home.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    ...random kangaroos...
    I don't know, is that redundant?
    bccphalarope(dot)com

For a while my commute was spiral. That sounds like medical TMI, at first glance. But, actually, I bicycled north on Roosevelt Island in the east river of NYC, turned right 90 degrees to cross the bridge to Queens, turned right 90 degrees to head south to the Queensborough Bridge, turned right 90 degrees to cross the Q- bridge, turned right 90 degrees to head north again up First Ave, then turned right 90 degrees on 68th Street to work.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Was that a downward spiral?

As of yesterday, zero, by choice.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

It's something like 98 miles per day. The first half is in rural Baldwin County and I pass through fields of cotton and soy beans and peanuts with cows and horses everywhere. Then I get to the interstate and cross the Mobile Delta with the bay on my left as I drive. I enter downtown Mobile and head west until I get to my old stomping grounds on Dauphin Island Parkway, which takes me past my turn for the yacht club, over Dog River Bridge, and on to the plant just south of the Theodore Industrial Canal.

In the mornings it takes an hour. In the afternoons it usually takes an hour and a half to get home, closer to two hours from mid-May until late August.

One of the sticking points in my continuing to work is this drive. If I could shift to four days a week I'd be a much happier camper, but as it is we usually work 50+ hours a week so I am not sure how I'd ever do it. I wind up taking a lot of Fridays off as vacation days.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

A good friend was a member of the Dauphin Trio (named after the island) - back in the 60's. Always makes me smile when I see the name.

Thirty miles there, forty coming back.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Different route in the evening?

Yesterday's commute really sucked. There was a crash on the bridge across the river. 18 miles in one hour fifteen minutes. Traffic was moving so slow that for 1/4 the drive my speedometer didn't even register movement.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

This is my commute... same as the fire path. On any given day, I am near one of these. I drive as much as 6 hours each way to cover a job.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    This is my commute... same as the fire path. On any given day, I am near one of these. I drive as much as 6 hours each way to cover a job.
    What line of work do you do?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

I drive about 35 minutes each way, surface streets with stop lights. I can take the freeway as an alternate, but it doesn't save much, if any time. I prefer the city driving as it is less a drag. one benefit of the 5 Fwy is that the trains park cars and engines on sidings adjacent to the freeway, and I loved looking at the Graffiti on the Boxcars and Engines. Some of it is just tagging, but some is pretty incredible art. I work in Anaheim, CA.

A flight of stairs. My work table is in a basement that's open to the west, with a separate entrance and big windows: the wolf den.

I'm mostly retired. When I was doing fieldwork, my commute was 4-8 hours hauling boats and science gear to one river or another, with 10-14 days on the water to collect data, and then home again.

The daily commute was hauling our boats from a field station or motel to the launch ramp and setting up a shuttle to the take-out. I'd usually stay at the launch ramp to rig the science gear and get everything working, while the grad students shuffled the vehicles and trailers.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

I ride out the farm gate and turn right. Ride one mile directly into the rising sun. Then a couple of long straights, intersections and tight turns and I'm at work. Four minutes on the Harley, seven on the postie bike. Used to travel up to an hour and a half to get to work but I wouldn't do it now- too old. I'd be retired if I didn't keep buying stuff because it's shiny or looks like fun JayInOz

Lately I have been taking the romen densha, electric tram. The number 2 to work, and number 3 home.

I catch the tram at about 6:20 in the morning, and there are a lot of students riding it like a school bus, about 15 today. These two girls have at least a 35 minute ride each way, based upon my commute, to go to a distant private school. The quality of the primary school snowballs later, and can affect an entire career. The younger student in the photo was dropped off by her mother at my tram stop. She undoubtedly was expecting the older girl to already be on the tram, and to travel together. They wear tags showing what route they take to school. They read books the entire time. Their book bags cost hundreds of dollars, and support a Japanese-made industry racket. There is huge social pressure to buy these book bags, rather than 30 dollar knapsacks. Supposedly purchased by the grandparents at the start of first grade. I discreetly snapped this photo holding the camera by my hip, but the shutter is soooo loud...

Advertisement for boat racing, a betting event like horse racing:

Last edited by twodot; 10-13-2017 at 02:33 AM.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    What line of work do you do?
    I am a shooting producer for technology, luxury travel, docs and industrial shorts. I have to travel to several technology parks and companies around California (and internationally) who require branding and education video for internet and on line training Currently working as a cinematographer on a feature doc about Black Wine makers with other better paying projects in the mix.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 10-13-2017 at 03:01 AM.