Thread: get it out....

Default get it out....

But
    how...? there's a flat bottom plywood skiff about 5 metres x 1.8, that has recently sunk. Its mine if I can get it, I'm guessing because no -one else knows about WBF....heh heh heh.... and can't figure out how to do it.
    so brainstorm me on this one everypeep..
    Its not near any power source.
    its on a soft mud lakeside and seems pretty well glued to the bottom but its hard to tell ...just suction maybe
    its shallow. , probably sitting on the bottom but just an inch or two of the transom sticking out.
    There's no room to drag it out with a vehicle
    there's no trees to rig a windlass or winch.
    if I do just grunt and drag it , it would probably break up...it's not a sturdy construction, and why did it sink anyway, though it could just be a minor leak and major inattention.
    can't bear to see it just sitting there underwater.
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Default Re: get it out....

How deep is the water? Are you fit? Do you have any diving gear? At least mask, fins, and snorkel if it's shallow? Any sort of boat to work from? Any assistants?

In essence, my first step would be to get mud out of the inside of the boat and at least trench around the hull to begin loosening things. If shallow enough, much could be done with clamming tongs or even a hole shovel with extensions on the scissor handles.

If you're good and the water's shallow, you might be able to position an outboard with the motor running to blow silt away from the site.

I'd inflate air bags or tire innertubes under the thwarts, sit back and watch.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I'd inflate air bags or tire innertubes under the thwarts, sit back and watch.
    Watch the thwarts break? Mud suction is mighty strong.

If it's a shallow mud bottom, maybe drive some 4x4s or some such under the bottom from the side & lever them up to break the suction?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

If you can and as it is fragile, I would work two or three ropes under her, w2ith a mate on one sid and you on t'other sawing them back and forwards as you pull them under her. That will both break the stiction and will give you something to lash air bags to.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

OK insides pretty clean, silt but not serious mud......good idea to work all around with hoes and spades ... thanx Ian

Dave... the inner tubes had come to mind but the two thwarts are weak and would just get popped out by the airbags.... if I can charge up the compressor at home or maybe one of those crappy 12v tyre inflators that I have never found to be any good and a car battery, and the tubes under the hull....maybe if I can break the gunnells out above water level, I could just start bailing......

ropes and sawing is a good idea we're getting cross lions here but good stuff ..keep it up

Ropes sound like the very best solution given no power, no trees. Pictures?
    ps, many many years ago, maybe 60 years, a buddy and I salvaged a very similar boat and once we got it loose and bailed we rowed it six miles to our landing. Didn't leak either.

Dave... the inner tubes had come to mind but the two thwarts are weak and would just get popped out by the airbags.... if I can charge up the compressor at home or maybe one of those crappy 12v tyre inflators that I have never found to be any good and a car battery, and the tubes under the hull....maybe if I can break the gunnells out above water level, I could just start bailing......
    If you could borrow or rent a good gas-powered compressor, you could just blow the mud out from under the boat, then use the compressor to inflate a couple of bags in it to bring it up to bailing height.
    -Dave

Lotta good ideas.

How about tie two deflated inner tubes together to form a figure 8 with the nozzles out at the ends. Work them under the boat at mid length with one nozzle on each side then slowly inflate both and let them slowly suck it out of the mud?

Or... Pass a couple of lines under the boat, preferably wide ratchet straps, and over your boat on the surface. Partially sink your boat, tighten the straps, bail your boat and let it suck it up out of the mud.

Or...Same, but just slowly ratchet it out with the straps. The constant strain will work over time, especially if you can break the seal in a few places. Even a Spanish windlass would work instead of ratchet straps, but this would be a good excuse to buy a couple.

Or...Drill a hole in the bottom and thread a fitting into it and blow a lot of air or water under the boat thru the fitting.

This is fun! Just depends on what you have for resources.

If it is just the suction from mud and silt then you need to apply a strong, steady pull for an extended amount of time. A couple of days maybe. One method is to set a line from the bow of your boat to the sunken boat and come-along it until it raises the stern of your boat out of the water a couple of feet. Go home and let the weight of the boat lever the salvage up over night. repeat as needed until it floats clear of the mud. Or attach inner tubes pumped full of air. But you have to let time do the work.Slow and steady pull, just like getting your foot unstuck from the mud.

Where do you live? If in the US, just because you raise it does not mean you own it. The owning party or insuring party will have rights to the vessel over your claim.

If you have access to a petrol engined pressure washer you could sluice around the outside and under the bottom with the wand, kind of like goldminers used to do to remove rocks etc.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

If there are two of you I like the idea of 'slicing' through the mud below it with a line (maybe some knots in it too). Work the line back and forth below her like a two man saw, from end to end. The knots will help to clear some of the mud as well as draw some water into the 'kerf'in he mud, which will dilute the mud and waken the grasp.

Good stuff everyone....
    I think it will have to be a variation on the innertube method...even if I can break the surface all round then its bailable.and it might not even be too glued to the bottom anyway.
    I did wonder about towing it further out into the lake rather than trying to drag it up the bank, then well secured with ropes to the towing boat, maybe turn it over, under water, get it close to the bank hull-up and well.... then.... er... maybe ....

Can you borrow two other boats?
    Put one on each side, after you've worked some lines under the sunken boat.
    Fasten the lines snugly to the outside boats while weighing down the inside gunwales of those boats.
    Shift the weight a bit,then wait a bit.
    Repeat.
    If the lines loosen, you're winning or you suck at knots.

Same idea as unsticking a well set anchor.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I've done this as a living, albeit not for a very long time. It's dangerous in other than a few feet of water.

Have you any experience/qualifications as a diver?
    How deep is really important.
    How unstable is the bottom? visibility is important.
    How many will be involved.? Working alone under water is not a good idea.
    How big is the recovery craft in relation to the craft to be recovered ?
    How much air and spare, and spare units will there be?

That's a start.
    Breaking the boat clear of the bottom and whether it will hold together when at the surface seem to be the biggest problem.
    Pulling on the craft itself may destroy it, you need to get slings underneath. How many depends on the size and weight of course.
    An Air Lift dredge or jet can be made up, that will suck or blow the mud out from under the boat enough to get slings in, and then Lift Bags, inflated underwater from an air cylinder (not the one on your back)

Be aware this likely makes visibility impossible, is there a current to carry it away?
    Look about on this page for equipment,
    underwater air lift
    and you do not have to raise the boat to the surface immediately, it weighs a lot less under water and will be self supporting. Much damage will be caused by getting an unbraced hull on to dry land. But as I said it depends on the particular hull concerned.

I'd not recommend an inexperienced person doing this. Do you know about decompression tables and what's called the Bends?

I have just touched on what's necessary, and it can always be dangerous. I saw a man nearly drown when at 60ft a hull suddenly came loose from the bottom and hit him. You have to have practiced safety drills and 'what if's'.

But I'm sure someone will think that I am overstating the dangers.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 09-28-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks for the cautionary stuff Sku, but this situation isn't warranting it apart from the normal be careful whatever you do maxim. The whole diving thing is just not going to happen, and if its going to take a serious amount of time, that is, days and days its not worth it.

Its a waders job if anything but I don't know how soft the bottom is to be relying on firm grounding.

Its a shallow calm lake , no depth to speak of even metres offshore, so my idea of flipping it over might not work anyway.
    I going back this afternoon to see just how stuck it is, maybe not at all, just submerged. maybe airbags under the thwarts might work to just get it up enough to bail, as mentioned.
    Once its emptied even a bit it can be towed to a shallow beach a few hundred metres away where I get the 4x4 down with all the kit and trailer.
    I'll let you all know... maybe even some pics.

Maybe it's a silly idea, but I'm thinking drill a small hole in the bottom with a hand drill, or a long bit in a rechargeable. Then use your 12v pump or whatever to pump air under the boat to break the suction. Fixing a small hole will be the least of your issues once she's up.

Find a portable air source, some flexible hose and a section of pvc pipe and an elbow on the end of the pipe. Work the elbow around the gunnels to blow silt away from it, then get the end of the elbow underneath to displace the water underneath. Expect it to roll and sink back to the bottom, but it will be loose and easier to get out afterward.

immersed plywood…? i would think twice unless you have a watertight (no pun intended) guarantee the ply will not have suffered water ingress.