Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Bolger Dakota

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Platte City, MO, USA
    Posts
    7

    Default Bolger Dakota

    I am obsessed with Bolger's powered sharpies from the Sneakeasy to the Illinois. Just from reading this forum I have seen others mention the Minnesota and the Dakota. I was finally able to find an image of the Minnesota via Bruce Hallman's Flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/hallma...th/2231662906/.

    I can't seem to find any image of the Dakota. Can any of you Bolger experts help me out? I did come across a "Bolger-inspired" sharpie that seems to fit the dimensions of the Dakota listed here for sale.http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...s#.Wcrd8VROmhA. One final question: why aren't these boats more popular? Everyone claims that they are easy and relatively cheap to build and very efficient. What am I missing?thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,026

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Platte City, MO, USA
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Thank you!

    Now if the experts can tell me why the easy-to-build, efficient, affordable powered sharpies aren't more popular.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,750

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Most people want more speed or a more "modern" look or a boat that's good in rough conditions -- or all of these. The power sharpies were designed as specialty boats, and among home-builders, there aren't that many looking for a boat that fills this niche. Personally, If I were going to build a boat to cruise down the Intracoastal or through river and canal systems, the Dakota would be very high on the list of considerations.
    -Dave

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,026

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Quote Originally Posted by JCam View Post
    Thank you!

    Now if the experts can tell me why the easy-to-build, efficient, affordable powered sharpies aren't more popular.
    I suppose if more folks had a free place to keep one on a reasonable river they might be more popular. You'd have to keep one for the long haul because, as you say, they don't seem to be popular, and you might have to give the thing away when your circumstances change. Circumstances always change. There's a nice thread on this forum about the salvage and restoration of one of Mark Van's "Heart of Gold" designs. You might enjoy it.

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...f-Gold-II-quot

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Champlain, Vermont
    Posts
    2,301

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    If I had that boat, I would install a bow thruster. The windage on that baby would be a challenge. Love the boat tho.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SF Bay Area- Richmond
    Posts
    15,186

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Marinas charge dock fees by the foot is another reason, as well as storage limitations for many folks for longer boats.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    26,744

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Marinas charge dock fees by the foot is another reason, as well as storage limitations for many folks for longer boats.
    That is what I was thinking, too. Personally, I'd be the sort to put retractable outriggers on one of those Bolger boats.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    upstate ny- thats north of the catskills
    Posts
    612

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    I'd suggest joining the Bolger group on Yahoo Groups. There are pics of a beautiful Dakota in 'Vince's Dakota' album in pictures, and 'dakota' in the files section. Vince has his on a trailer so you can take it home if you want.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    26,744

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Quote Originally Posted by openboater View Post
    Vince has his on a trailer so you can take it home if you want.
    Vince will let me take his boat home? Deal!
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    82,359

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    That is what I was thinking, too. Personally, I'd be the sort to put retractable outriggers on one of those Bolger boats.
    sponsons?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Santa Fe NM
    Posts
    141

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    I listened to a good interview with Chuck from Duckworks. He built a Sneakeasy. He used it and loved it. Ask him for details.
    Last edited by Matt young; 09-28-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    13,741

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Another reason might be stowage. Imagine your gear and supplies for a two-week cruise in that boat. Where would you stow these? A narrow-beamed boat has no "extra" room and a flat bottomed boat has no bilge or belowdecks to speak of.

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    26,744

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    sponsons?
    From the sublime to the ridiculous. There's something for everyone at the woodenboat forum.

    Edited to add: I like those Bolger boats for other people but not sure if I would ever actually want one.
    Last edited by JimD; 09-28-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    19,734

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Then there is possibly the best thread on this forum. I think it's a Windermere. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...highlight=fore

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    524

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    What's needed then, obviously, is a telescoping hull. Length when you need it for seaworthiness and liveability, then collapse it like a telescope for reduced docking fees or to fit into a short garage....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    26,744

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Then there is possibly the best thread on this forum. I think it's a Windermere. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...highlight=fore
    One of the finest.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Bolger Dakota

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Then there is possibly the best thread on this forum. I think it's a Windermere. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...highlight=fore
    Holy ****. That *is* an amazing thread. I'm jealous and inspired and aroused all at the same time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •