Thread: Oregon sailing opps

Default Oregon sailing opps

I will be visiting Oregon sometime in summer next year. Where are some good places one can rent and sail sailboats on the Columbia R. Gorge area and along the coast?

Default Re: Oregon sailing opps

Off the top of my head I can't think of any (anyone?). There used to be a couple of liveries renting small boats down on some coastal lakes, but they went away in the '60s. I'll do some investigating for you in the Gorge area, but other than perhaps some windsurfers or kiteboards, I think the possibilities are pretty limited. I'll also check in Astoria and Newport. The possibility of getting out with someone on their boat is 100%, however. Anybody know of any rental places still?

I don't know of any rentals for sure. You might ask Willamette Sailing Club if they offer any (Portland area). You could also contact Passion Yachts (brokers) and Schooner Creek (builders) to see if any of their clients rent their boats. Down at the coast, I'd be asking the folks at Port of Toledo (Newport area), and at Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria... to see if they have any contacts. When you know your schedule, we can see about getting you out on some locals boats. Esp. if it coincides with a Coots event. http://www.coots.org/mb/index.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

In Hood River you can rent windsurfing boards and gear and Hobie cats and its "in" the gorge. In Portland try Island Sailing for keels boats. Not sure if there are any rental places on the coast but as David G said the CRMM my have some idea.

Agree with Breaker on places to rent- there are only a few. There are lots of spots to rent canoes or kayaks- Skomakowa Paddling Center , Alder Creek Kayak/Canoe in Portland...

Tell us about yourself and interests, some of us Oregonians might be able to meet up with you.

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    Agree with Breaker on places to rent- there are only a few. There are lots of spots to rent canoes or kayaks- Skomakowa Paddling Center , Alder Creek Kayak/Canoe in Portland...

Tell us about yourself and interests, some of us Oregonians might be able to meet up with you.

-Bruce
    Thanks. My wife and I built an Argie 15 sailing dinghy in 2013. We love afternoon sailing on the lakes/reservoirs around Salt Lake City, Utah. We've taken friends, family, and neighbors out with us. When we travel to Calif., we try to rent a sailboat for a day sail. We had a jolly time sailing a Capri 22 off Santa Barbara last year in 16 kt wind with a good swell coming off the Pacific, and the year before we took a Catalina 16.5 out on Mission bay on calm water with a mild breeze. Oregon looks lovely and we plan to follow I-84 to Astoria and then down to San Francisco over a month. Sailing in some of those areas sounds scenic and lovely.