Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: fun zippy economical little cars

Default Re: fun zippy economical little cars

The 02 BMW are fast and fun alright. They can go around corners at interesting speeds. But when they start to oversteer, things can happen fast and they can be difficult to catch. In their second and third hand days, they taught many youngsters, who had overestimated their driving skills, nasty lessons.

OK - I hope we learn what the new job is soon!

Tesla & heading for CA?

John Deere & heading to Moline?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    OK - I hope we learn what the new job is soon!

Tesla & heading for CA?

John Deere & heading to Moline?
    It should be no secret to In-The-Know BilgeRats that pedal cars ARE the future.

Hehe.

I hope it's something really crazy awesome, like working for a racing team...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    It should be no secret to In-The-Know BilgeRats that pedal cars ARE the future.

Hehe.

I hope it's something really crazy awesome, like working for a racing team...

Peace,
    Robert
    Well. . . now that you mention it.

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Well. . . now that you mention it.

I was thinking more something four wheeled. And with a CTT drive linked to an optional bump drive hub in the transmission.
    I mean, mine won't have the electric assist, but it could. Which reminds me. I gotta go look at some parts, right now...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    We went and test drove a couple of Mini's yesterday. Excluding my home town in Alabama Chevy dealer who I bought seven Silverados and Tahoes from this is the best dealership experience I've ever had in my life. We were greeted promptly by a car enthusiast, who was extremely patient and knowledgeable. And he handed us keys to multiple vehicles and told us where the curvy roads were and to take our time and have fun.

The regular 2 door Mini Cooper John Cooper Works Edition with a six speed is so fun, sounds great, steering is perfect, you could forget that its front wheel drive, quick nimble agile, Brembos were spectacular. The car is really quite comfortable and easy ingress and egress even for my ogrish big ass self. Within five miles of driving it I felt it was the perfect car for me and was pretty much ready to order one.

Seriously the dealer and salesman must have a really easy job of it, these cars sell themselves.

So in the middle of me chatting with the dealer and putting a build sheet together, Katherine gets a phone call. She steps away and returns a few minutes later whispering that we need to talk. Then she crushed my Mini dreams into a little wad and threw them into the trash. She's been offered a job with a rival auto manufacturer, and its a really good job, and the job basically comes with access to their fleet of cars at very very little cost.

Ten more minutes and I would have been driving a Mini.

More on her spectacular new job when the ink is dry in a few days. . .

Congratulations.

I love you Honeybunny!
    A friend had an early JCW Mini. Now he drove it sporty on the street, but maintained it well. Motor blew up at I think 20k miles, under warranty. I think the trans did later too, and it was a manual. He sold it before the warranty expired.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    A friend had an early JCW Mini. Now he drove it sporty on the street, but maintained it well. Motor blew up at I think 20k miles, under warranty. I think the trans did later too, and it was a manual. He sold it before the warranty expired.
    Later ones are much better - though stay on top of your sunroof drains. If they clog, they leak right on the main computer module.

there are twenty one ford dealers in detroit
    That number seems a huge decline, if my memory serves, but not a surprise after 2008. Unless you only mean in Detroit proper. Are all greater Detroit car dealers still closed on the weekends? That used to be the rule and militantly enforced, lest one place emphasis on "customer service" to those that had difficulty making it down there on a weekday or night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    So Kat has access to a fleet of 18-wheelers. Sounds like an interesting alternative, but you may need a bigger garage.
    Heavy truck industry? This is of particular interest to me, though I'm no longer in the industry. Please do tell, Paul or Kat, when ready. If I knew the location, I could probably suss it out.

We went and test drove a couple of Mini's yesterday. Excluding my home town in Alabama Chevy dealer who I bought seven Silverados and Tahoes from this is the best dealership experience I've ever had in my life. We were greeted promptly by a car enthusiast, who was extremely patient and knowledgeable. And he handed us keys to multiple vehicles and told us where the curvy roads were and to take our time and have fun.

The regular 2 door Mini Cooper John Cooper Works Edition with a six speed is so fun, sounds great, steering is perfect, you could forget that its front wheel drive, quick nimble agile, Brembos were spectacular. The car is really quite comfortable and easy ingress and egress even for my ogrish big ass self. Within five miles of driving it I felt it was the perfect car for me and was pretty much ready to order one.

Seriously the dealer and salesman must have a really easy job of it, these cars sell themselves.

So in the middle of me chatting with the dealer and putting a build sheet together, Katherine gets a phone call. She steps away and returns a few minutes later whispering that we need to talk. Then she crushed my Mini dreams into a little wad and threw them into the trash. She's been offered a job with a rival auto manufacturer, and its a really good job, and the job basically comes with access to their fleet of cars at very very little cost.

Ten more minutes and I would have been driving a Mini.

More on her spectacular new job when the ink is dry in a few days. . .

Congratulations.

I love you Honeybunny!
    I can't believe you're trading the satisfaction of ownership over a series of new cars that cost little to operate. Keep the crew updated por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Reliability ratings are quite subjective now. Frankly most modern automobiles are super reliable. Most zippy small cars shouldn't be held long term anyway. Considering one would drive this car less than 10k a year and sell before 50k - who cares as warranty could cover most. I rather think of these kinds of cars as like iPhones - use the thing now and don't worry about where you will be in 3 years - as you will move on anyway .

i find small cars with thin sporty tires and a gusty power plant is a blast to drive. They aren't great on long interstate trips but when you drive them on two lane curvy roads they become something special. Powering into a curve at 50 and shifting about with an agressive exhaust note - it is the essence of driving. Best of all, a zippy small car isn't likely to flag the popo that leads you to get points against your license. This class of car is all about zippy fun, easy parking and great gas mileage if you try. Getting to drive on a frozen lake or the dragons tail in one would put a huge smile on any sports drivers face in such cars.
    I owned a Fiat 500 Abarth until a month ago. Put 33K miles on it. One problem during that time--door handle hinge broke, known problem, $17 to fix. The engine/drivetrain on that car felt indestructible, the body, who knows. 33 to 38 MPG, crazy fun to drive and amazing on the highway. I suspect the Abarth drivetrain and suspension is a cut above the garden variety 500s.

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    I owned a Fiat 500 Abarth until a month ago. Put 33K miles on it. One problem during that time--door handle hinge broke, known problem, $17 to fix. The engine/drivetrain on that car felt indestructible, the body, who knows. 33 to 38 MPG, crazy fun to drive and amazing on the highway. I suspect the Abarth drivetrain and suspension is a cut above the garden variety 500s.
    Euro cars are notorious for cast "pot metal" (zinc) parts rather than stamped steel. Door latches and door handles. VWs and Audis were notorious for outside door handle failures (the inner release trigger), but IIRC it was because there was a notch at a high stress point. Keeping the trigger well lubed would greatly prolong the life. But the replacement parts were way more than $17, plus the labor. The design was finally changed a few years later to "American" style door handles.

Euro cars are notorious for cast "pot metal" (zinc) parts rather than stamped steel. Door latches and door handles. VWs and Audis were notorious for outside door handle failures (the inner release trigger), but IIRC it was because there was a notch at a high stress point. Keeping the trigger well lubed would greatly prolong the life. But the replacement parts were way more than $17, plus the labor. The design was finally changed a few years later to "American" style door handles.
    Ah - but the $9 aftermarket Rabbit ones fit the Audis - just used one less machine screw. However, you are correct that they were a "service" item. Winter here in VT really killed 'em.

I'm not sure how "euro" a Fiat 500 really is, though it definitely was a junk pot-metal hinge as you said. The new one said "Italy" on it! Which surprised me because as far as I know they're assembled in Toluca, Mexico, engine straight from Detroit (and it was a sensational engine; they also run them in Dodge Darts, which is sort of embarrassing if you really believe your Fiat is an Italian car)... I know the design is Italian, but that's mock-ups and drawings on computers etc

Anyway, I thought it was a brilliant car overall; it doesn't suck to hit the "sport" button and have 160hp on tap at about 18lbs of boost anytime you see a clear 40mph sweeper up ahead. Second and third gear climbing out of a corner was just a rush, with the breaking loose and the traction control light blinking...and the bassy exhaust... 1.4 liters can be a ton of fun these days. On the other hand, I'm not old enough for nice things yet. And too old for speed. So it's back to the S10...
    Last edited by earling2; 10-01-2017 at 10:39 AM.

S10? Well he could look for a Syclone or Typhoon, those would hold the dogs. They were both rather "zippy".

Isn’t the Dodge Dart a rebadged Alfa?

Jeff C

A 500w 48 volt motor and 100 amp hours of batteries and it would be great !

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Wife owned Cooper S when I met her, I owned a 1952 88" Landy. Said it all about our driving eh?. But I had owned a Cooper Climax powered hillclimb special.
    That said I was taught to drive properly by my dad's racing driver friend on a big skid pan (oil and water) and that training has saved me several times. Mum, having raced cars, wasn't bad either. It just kicked in automatically when I needed it.
    Last year in a new Kia Sportage I came round an uphill badly cambered corner and onto a small landslide. The car has a lot of electronics and stuff to deal with situations and it did, before I could react the car had and all I had to do was point it in the right direction. Anne, doing a crossword beside me only noticed a couple of bumps. Very impressive.