Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miter saw or table saw

Default Re: Miter saw or table saw

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Does anyone even make a radial arm anymore? The only millshops that I know that even have one use them for one of two things and they are set up the same. Long tables on either side of the blade with tall fences. The saws are set to a permanent 90 degrees. They are used to square the ends of stock after they come from the ripsaw or are used to square the ends of bundled veneer. No miters, no ripping. And they all have an old sash weight or a sheetrock bucket of sand or cement on a cable to return the carraige
    The last big shop I worked for had a pair of old 14" three pahse Dewalts. They might be as old as Jay...
    Yes - brand new r.a. saws are still available. https://www.tools-plus.com/machinery...-arm-saws.html I agree... they have their uses. But yes... they have been mostly superceded by the dual-compound sliding miter saw. Also - none of them tools is as old as Jay. He started with stone tools. Heck... he's almost as old as me!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Hey I have a granite caulking mallet and a red flint scraping tool! The scraper works well on wood but is no good for scraping a cast iron lathe bed!

Jay

I assume this is a treadle lathe, not one of those new fangled electric doohickies...

Steam laddie, Steam!
    Bird

I have a table saw, chop saw and radial arm saw. Anyone want a radial arm? Mine never gets used anymore.

What Size and Brand?
    Jay

Sears Craftsman 10' radial saw, ball-bearing, made in USA, 120/240 V., motor model KS 4890-174, purchased sometime in the 1980's, but was in storage for about ten years,