Thread: Stories from Maine

Default Stories from Maine

I heard one of these stories on the local radio station WERU.

https://experiencemaritimemaine.org/...series/#volume

Audio stories, don't look for a video. Produced, I gather, by the magazine 'Maine Boats, Homes, and Harbors"

Default Re: Stories from Maine

Thanks. Those portray quite a different Maine than I grew up in - interviewees have lost most of their accents for instance, or must have invaded northwards over the southern ME border. The recordings are nice, are free, but are heavily swaddled in the formulaic NPR feature style, sentiment, and veiled politics.

Olden days digression: Radio used to be so provincial and bad in ME (eg. rotating thru same few bubblegum pop songs) that the young'uns must have fallen for the slick outsider NPR mentality (I eventually gave them double matching grants). Food standards at our local eateries was so bad that when a McDonalds arrived a 4 hour drive away, we would marvel at the taste of fries cooked in non-rancid oil.

Don't tell me about fresh lobster; in semi scientific tests a professor and I determined that its characteristic taste comes from the rancid fish bait. Just like Limberger cheese taste comes from the actual biochemistry giving foot or armpit stench and fugu fish gets it's zing from traces of neurotoxins, lobster is bland comfort food elevated by a hint of yuck. Maine was better way back - no fun, but no nonsense

Well, rudderless, it seems that despite your moving 'away', you have retained the Maine Curmudgeon trait even while living in Paradise.!
    Perhaps these may be more satisfying...

The most popular (and avidly-listened-to) radio stations in Maine are C&W.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    The most popular (and avidly-listened-to) radio stations in Maine are C&W.
    Didn't know that but it doesn't surprise.
    Can't find any over-the-air strictly blues stations, my preference, so I tune around a lot.