Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Build: Atkin Russell R

Default New Build: Atkin Russell R

I have the glass cloth, tape, and epoxy, and the Okume plywood will be delivered Monday to my shop. I have had the plans for the Russell R now for several years and am finally going to build it. I did the lofting and built the forms from old growth fir 3 1/2 inch t&g decking (ripped off the tongue). Beautiful wood to work with if you dont mind the occaisional splinters.I plan to assemble the panels right on my lofting table, then take the table apart, build the strongback, assemble the forms and go to work. I am determined to figure out how to post pictures as I go along. One challenge will be converting from plank on white oak to plywood but thanks to previous work by others who have built the same boat, I know it can be done.

Default Re: New Build: Atkin Russell R

Cleaned (and I use the word loosely) the shop today in prep for the ply delivery tomorrow. A bit of a logistic problem, The trucking company called and will only deliver to the curb. How to move a nearly one half ton package of ply from curb to shop? Solution: Neighbor with hay wagon will accept the package at curbside and deliver it to my shop door. Getting excited to transform lofting into boat building. I plan to use Peyson butt joints on all panels so things should move along quickly.

Good on ya. Looking forward to both the build fotos... and the finished product. Nice choice of designs, btw.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

P1010002.jpgfirst time to sucessfully post a picture. This is my lofting table, soon to be work table. It runs the full length of the shop.

Attachment 3919lofting was a pain as I was clueless and the worst thing was that it is a simple flat bottomed boat, but my friend Geoff Kerr explained how to take the measurements from the lofting table and using that information to lay out the frames. One nice thing about drawing them out is it is pretty easy to see a mistake before you build the frame.P1010004.jpg

Bottom cut to shape using half breadths taken from the lofting, first side panel glued up. Tomorrow another one, then the bottom. Not sure on the Peyson butt joints on the 1/2 bottom ply, I plan to make them extra wide. There is almost no curvature in the bottom so should be OK Finger crossed. Tentative name for the boat will be BUNKY II. Here is a pic of our Nina/Ninegret/Handy Billy (I borrowed from all three sets of plans)P1010001.jpg
    Last edited by Oldad; 09-27-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Sorry for any confusion, photo in #6 above is of the original BUNKY.

Bunky's a beaut, and Russel R has the nicest lines:

I'll be watching closely.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Subscribed! looking forward to this.
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vxuQDZI0Dz7qjzAx1

Disaster has struck. On one of my Peyson butt joints on the bottom glue up, one panel shifted out of alignment just enough for the glass to separate from the plywood just enough to ruin the joint in the center 2/3 of the panel. Spent the morning scraping the glass tape that had not bonded and am preparing to redo. The problem was not apparent until I uncovered it ans saw what had happened. All of the others came out fine. A minor setback, but it will end up costing me days in the end.l need to wait until the epoxy gets really hard before I can take the sander with the 36 grit paper to it as now it would simply gum up the paper. Bummer. I need to slow down and be more careful. I would post a pic but... arrrggh

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Disaster has struck. On one of my Peyson butt joints on the bottom glue up, one panel shifted out of alignment just enough for the glass to separate from the plywood just enough to ruin the joint in the center 2/3 of the panel. Spent the morning scraping the glass tape that had not bonded and am preparing to redo. The problem was not apparent until I uncovered it ans saw what had happened. All of the others came out fine. A minor setback, but it will end up costing me days in the end.l need to wait until the epoxy gets really hard before I can take the sander with the 36 grit paper to it as now it would simply gum up the paper. Bummer. I need to slow down and be more careful. I would post a pic but... arrrggh
    Judicious use of a heat gun and scraper can speed you along in removing that tape...

Peace,
    Robert

Heat gun? Good idea Robert. I took the grinder to it, I will try the heat gun in the future. Less dust in the air that way I am sure. Anyway, moving along, and when I flip the bottom I can try the heat gun on the back side which I am sure suffered the same fate.

Finally found my camera so will be able to post some new pics shortly. Making progress on the boat. Big problem is transforming plans for a wooden boat built in the conventional manner to stitch and glue, but so far things are working out. I built all of the forms according to the offsets, assembled the bottom and side panels trimmed all to fit the dimensions taken from the lofting table and have begun assembly. I needed the help of my fifty year old son to hang the side panels onto the bottom and warp it around the forms, but she went well. OK, out to the shop to take some pics. More soon.

Just found this thread and will be following every post. That should be a fine craft. What boats do you still have? Your fleet, like mine, keeps growing.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Just found this thread and will be following every post. That should be a fine craft. What boats do you still have? Your fleet, like mine, keeps growing.
    Hi Rich, went out to take pics but battery was dead, now in the charger. I sold BUNKY as above, still have FESTIVUS, the 22 foot houseboat, sold my Old Town plastic canoe, bought a kevlar kayak and found my bad shoulders did not like the double ended paddle, sold it, bought a 13 foot Grumman canoe to replace it and we love it. Hope to replace it with a SOF canoe sometime in the future. Also have a solo canoe I built some years ago, my Cape Dory 10 that we use as a dinghy and a nice 1937 Old Town canoe awaiting restoration.... so not so many boats really. Right now I am looking for a trailer for the Russell R. Don't want to spend the long $ for a brand new trailer so have been scouring CL. For all of its length,22 feet, the RR is not a very heavy boat and will only sport a 15 hp OB.

...went out to take pics but battery was dead...
    Ya, well the suspense is killing the rest of us so hurry up!
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Here are some photos of recent progress. Wish I had taken pics of the forms before I got the ply in place. Kind of interesting to see the skeleton.I was pleased with the way the stem came out, I have three layers of tape on it, two of the layers are 16 oz. biax. Amazing how much strength from the tape.

P1010001.jpg
    sorry, don't know why it is so small. Here are some more.
    P1010002.jpgP1010004.jpgP1010004.jpgP1010005.jpgSorry again, my shop is so small I cannot get far enough away for a good shot, tools in the way, etc. The shots are before I put the "transom" in place, a look up the skirt you might say. All kinds of rack bracing on the forms. I had a brand new box of gloves way up in the bow that I could not get to after I put the skin on and so my 5 year old grandson crawled all the way up to fetch them for me. Handy little fellow. The las pic is of the transom in place with screws until the epoxy sets up, then some trimming, rounding over and glass on all of the outside seams as was done in the bow.
    P1010007.jpg
    Oh, I see, the pics got big after I posted them. I have not trimmed the sides or transom at the height of the sheer and will do that after I flip the hull.

Is the joint (scarf or butt?) on the side panel taped? That can make for some tricky fairing.

All Peyson butt joints. Have done this on all of my builds with no problems, although it does take more time and effort in fairing. On the upside, none of the inside will need extra work as it will be out of sight There are eight in all. Four on the bottom and two on each side. After minimal fairing I will cover the entire hull in a layer of 16 oz. biax fabric, fill the weave, paint with a high build primer and see how she looks. Usually by then there is not much more to do.

Transom installed and ready to tape all joints prior to glassing the hull.
    The inspiration
    P1010001.jpg
    I need to get the radius just right so the 16 oz. tape will follow the joint.
    P1010003.jpgP1010005.jpg

When I apply tapes, now, I always put a layer of plastic over and squeegee through the plastic. I use clear shower curtains. The plastic forces the cloth and any excess epoxy to form a smooth surface and the selvedge edge of the tape usually gets buried.

Much less fuss finishing the tapes later, for sure.

Peace,
    Robert

Or "Peel Ply", best stuff since sliced bread!

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/epo...se-fabric.html

I almost always butt block, too. But I don't tape the outside. I've found the cloth sheath over the whole boat is enough. Glad you haven't had any fairing problems with the tape, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I almost always butt block, too. But I don't tape the outside. I've found the cloth sheath over the whole boat is enough. Glad you haven't had any fairing problems with the tape, though.
    Jim, they are not butt blocks, but butted and taped on both sides with 16oz. biaxial tape. Makes for a very strong joint and I put plastic over the tape and then clamp tight so there is not too much left proud.

Robert, I do the same as you, the plastic seems to help fill the weave.

I have been working on the radius of the joint between bottom and sides and will finish with my RO and 40 grit to get a nice joint rocking the sander over the joint as I move along.. I want not bubbles under the tape.

So many other things I should be doing outside to get ready for winter. Still have to put up the frame and tarp FESTIVUS, (a boat for the restuvus), and do the same with my dinghy, LAZARUS, (a wreck that i raised from the dead).

Jim, they are not butt blocks, but butted and taped on both sides with 16oz. biaxial tape. Makes for a very strong joint and I put plastic over the tape and then clamp tight so there is not too much left proud.

Robert, I do the same as you, the plastic seems to help fill the weave.

I have been working on the radius of the joint between bottom and sides and will finish with my RO and 40 grit to get a nice joint rocking the sander over the joint as I move along.. I want not bubbles under the tape.

So many other things I should be doing outside to get ready for winter. Still have to put up the frame and tarp FESTIVUS, (a boat for the restuvus), and do the same with my dinghy, LAZARUS, (a wreck that i raised from the dead).
    Excellent! Twin geniuses! Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

Jim, they are not butt blocks, but butted and taped on both sides with 16oz. biaxial tape..
    Ahhh, I see.

will be sure to follow this. looks like a pretty boat.

jim

Hoping to get all of the outside seams taped today, chines and transom, and then glass the outside, all with 16 oz. biaxial tape and cloth.

Hoping to get all of the outside seams taped today, chines and transom, and then glass the outside, all with 16 oz. biaxial tape and cloth.
    When using both, Iíve taken to putting the tapes on after the cloth, because I think itís easier to blend them that way, especially with the plastic.

Just thinking with my keyboard, not trying to boss.

Iím excited to see your progress. This is a neat boat, to me.

Peace,
    Robert

You've gotten a gift with this late autumn warm weather. Perfect epoxy weather.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Robert, interesting, I never thought of that, maybe next time.

Rich, yes, great weather and supposed to be in the sixties all this week. Crazy, but appreciated.

Too many things get in the way of boat building these days, but finally got back at it. Got sides and bottom glassed with biaxial cloth.
    P1010002.jpgP1010003.jpgP1010001.jpgP1010004.jpg
    the last pictue is of my mixing system. It is a garage sale electric drill with a paint mixer attached. When not in use it sits in the "holster" made of PVC pipe with an old mixing cup to catch the drips. The trigger has be stuck in the on position from errant epoxy having found its way into the mech. so I have to plug and unplug to use it. Very effective way to mix many batches when wettingout an entire 22 foot boat. To tell the truth, this project is a bit overwhelming for an old duffer like me, but I will be fine once I get to the fun part after she is flipped over (he says with great hope). Beginning to look like a boat. I plan to deviate form the plans by putting three runners on the bottom. I would be interested in hearing pros and cons. The plan only calls for a pretty modest skeg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you end up with a resin batch full of bubbles mixing like that?

No, no bubbles, just nice neat epoxy. Works well and because the drill is doing the work, I tend to mix longer and hopefully, even better. I just wish I had not fouled the switch.

You may have read my thread, A Confession and a Plea where i described my mishap in mixing a small batch of epoxy. Thankfully that has pretty much been resolved. Now I am back to the build and very happy about that. Since the hull has been fully glassed on the outside with 12pz. biaxial fabric I am just ready to put a keel down the center of the flat bottom. It is made from some old growth fir that I salvaged from some 4 inch tongue and groove fir flooring. I trimmed off the t and g and ran it lightly through my thickness planer to remove the old finish. More than 16 growth rings per inch and fun to work with if you don't mind splinters..
    I needed to put one scarph joint in the piece and looked for an easy way to do it. The band saw was out of the question as one piece was move than 10 feet long and a bit unweildy. My eye fell on the radial arm but I decided that was a risky option but decided to try it. The secret was in the clamp. It held the pieces securly and the scarph was perfect with no need to trim. A line describing the correct angle was drawn on the table, the piece clamped tight and then the cut. Here are pics of the process.
    P1010003.jpgP1010001.jpgP1010002.jpg