Thread: Teak and epoxy

Default Teak and epoxy

I have a piece of teak plywood that I want to use in a build. Does teak take epoxy well?

Default Re: Teak and epoxy

In general, oily and acidic woods are difficult to glue with epoxy perminatly. West system has formulated an excellent epoxy that is specifically designed to circumvent this problem. Their G flex 650 and 655 are great to use for hard to glue woods such as teak and oak. I have had very good results when using this product for both teak and oak as well as rosewood. I also have found that it is an excellent glue to use for spar building as it has a built in permanent flex factor that allows the mast joinery to expand and contract plus bend without glue seam delamination or failure. Gflex 655 is a thickened version of their 650 Epoxy which is the thinner of the two and suitable for most gluing jobs.
    Jay

Someone suggested a wipe down with acetone before gluing. Good idea?

Reputedly a problem wood but I've had no problems with rough sanding (40# or 60#) so there's plenty of tooth on the wood, giving gluing surfaces an acetone wipe a few minutes before first coating with unthickend epoxy before adding some structural filler and bringing the surfaces together.

In all the times I've been gluing teak to teak or teak to any other wood, I make a mix of structural, mechanical, and glue fastening. For example, a boarding ladder all teak had the steps let into the sides and those joints were glued and screwed. Not all joints can get all three but a bit of imagination . . .

G'lluck