Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Arts and Crafts: If you make stuff post it here

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Arts and Crafts: If you make stuff post it here

'Bout 25 years ago I built this tree house for my son,

He grew up , so I dis assembled it and re cobbled it to be a playhouse. The only ones who play there now are Jan and myself.We slept in it pretty much all summer.

AYC floors ,Dickenson Newport charcoal heater,

Fold down boat sink with fynspray pump

It has a silly panel and 12v batt. Off the grid but only 20 feet from our house.

That's very cool Bruce. Mmmm, I have some big trees, some AYC and some red cedar, and my wife needs a quiet space to write. Could be an idea
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

I make quite a few random and seemingly unrelated things. None to a high degree of finish, but I'm not much of a perfectionist.

Trevor

Is that where Tom and Huck used to hang out? Well done!
    Jay

Default For: Amish and Hugh MacD

Thanks! Ends of bellropes (actually a set of 3 for Harry Truman Carrier).

Better pics at My Website.

Feeling ambitious?
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Default Re: For: Amish and Hugh MacD

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Thanks! Ends of bellropes (actually a set of 3 for Harry Truman Carrier).

Better pics at My Website.

Feeling ambitious?
    Ive never seen your site. Is it too weird to say after I visited, I REALLY love you, now? Hehe. Not just because your work is so amazing, but the site was full of you, and I chuckled a few times. I am an OLD man... Harharhar. You have a sense of humor that makes sense to me.

Lovely, lovely stuff, Sir. Thank you.

Peace,
    Knot Going To Show Any Of My Tangled Strings...

Quote Originally Posted by trefor View Post
    I make quite a few random and seemingly unrelated things. None to a high degree of finish, but I'm not much of a perfectionist.

Trevor
    You pyrographer! Smiley Face. (Image limit)

Lovely assortment. We share a common affliction.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    You pyrographer! Smiley Face. (Image limit)

Lovely assortment. We share a common affliction.

Peace,
    Robert
    Thanks! I've really not been doing pyrography long. Fun medium, though. I add a punch of watered down acrylic to most of mine. Here's a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by trefor View Post
    Thanks! I've really not been doing pyrography long. Fun medium, though. I add a punch of watered down acrylic to most of mine. Here's a few more.

Oh, Momma! The legs disappearing into the grain of the wood like it’s the ripples on the surface of the water?!
    That is one of the nicest examples of the art I’ve seen. Plus, the tail, the legs, the hair, the eyes... THE ANTLERS!
    The skull and flower is very lovely, too.

Keep at this. You have a REAL talent.

Peace,
    Buning With Envy (Harhar)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Shelf I made for Jans wee boat collection. AYC , Waves and lammed knees . She made the mirrors.

That's cool, Bruce. An emergency backup house!
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

What do you do with leftover boat lumber? Make a scale lighthouse for your house number at the end of your driveway of course!

With a solar-powered light:
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

When I married Shari I became the father of two young adult daughters, one of whom ended up needing to move back home for an extended period. My one-bedroom house was going to be a bit tight so I built this for her to stay in. I call it "The Doghouse" but the ladies prefer "The Bungalow"... 10'x16' platform with a 10'x12' building. It is right where the house I'm planning to build is going so I have to figure out how to take it apart and move it across the property soon.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    What do you do with leftover boat lumber? Make a scale lighthouse for your house number at the end of your driveway of course!

With a solar-powered light:

I love this!

I make kilts...not as much as I used to, but...

I also throw heavy objects at the Highland Games. I'm not sure I can come up with shots of kilts I've made any more but there a rer zillion out there of throwing stuff.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

77FB05A9-C93F-4BBE-AB9D-DFD7D91A3355.jpg
    Sometimes I make bows.

76DAA9D3-9D18-4DD4-9503-346B98F77BE6.jpg
    The kind for shooting arrows.

AC1F0850-1188-489D-BD47-EBCA7A62E9B8.jpg
    Not the kind for putting in hair or on presents.

B27FEE2B-B06D-46A6-BFE2-63CEC4FBE447.jpg
    Sometimes from pipes, with 550 cord temporary strings. Mayhaps you can discern the egregious bruising on the inner wrist in the limb closeup picture?
    Be careful, she shoots HARD (stuck a field point through 1/2 ply from 30 feet) and bites if you get sloppy. Id guess its about 40-45 pounds at about 28. 48 long.

I will finish this with a vinyl backing, some stain, and a clear coat. It will get a handle of twine with a turkshead knot as a terminal knot and arrow rest. And a real string. Ill make a string from dacron, which will be easy, since I know the length.

Peace,
    Robert

NICE Robert! I was thinking of making some of those at ~30# draw (SCA Combat Max) for "War Archery". Have to see how they shoot the "Baldor Blunts" (Combat Legal Arrows)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    NICE Robert! I was thinking of making some of those at ~30# draw (SCA Combat Max) for "War Archery". Have to see how they shoot the "Baldor Blunts" (Combat Legal Arrows)
    Haha. I know of which you speak.
    Thank you.
    We are making these to take to ren faire. We just go to one, and we always dress up like goobers and walk around gawking. Ours has jousting!

This wee one is for Youngest Son to carry. (it just happens to be super fun to shoot, too) I’m making a longer one, now. My wife wants an Asiatic horse bow type looking thing. Emulated horns and what not. You know...

Peace,
    Robert

I've made a bunch of pvc bows as well. Teach kids to make them too. Lots of fun for little cost and work.

Quote Originally Posted by cracked lid View Post
    I've made a bunch of pvc bows as well. Teach kids to make them too. Lots of fun for little cost and work.
    EADAAA9E-4FCB-426B-9950-40790D476A1D.jpg
    It is my go-to for prop or toy bows, and it actually makes a good shooting bow.
    This is a 60 bow for Quadzilla. Lighter draw than the shorter bow (duh), but a much better shooter.

Neither shoots excellently, but they are fun, and the price is right.

Peace,
    Yes, I have Two Pesimmon Staves Curing...

OOOOO Persimmon! I'm in the throes of another hickory bow and have a line on some osage Once each summer we do an "Arts and Sciences Weekend" and last year we had a bowmaking class teaching folks the basics of tillering and finishing a hickory blank. Tons of fun and lots of smiles at the end when they got to fling some arrows down at my target. Pic is my friend Jared explaining the use of a "tillering jig". We also had pewter casting, woodworking, fabric printing, blacksmithing and a host of other bad habits IMG_3595.jpg

OOOOO Persimmon! I'm in the throes of another hickory bow and have a line on some osage Once each summer we do an "Arts and Sciences Weekend" and last year we had a bowmaking class teaching folks the basics of tillering and finishing a hickory blank. Tons of fun and lots of smiles at the end when they got to fling some arrows down at my target. Pic is my friend Jared explaining the use of a "tillering jig". We also had pewter casting, woodworking, fabric printing, blacksmithing and a host of other bad habits IMG_3595.jpg
    The bad thing about persimmon is getting a nice stave. Crookedy type. At least our trees!

Lots of simple ash bows, for me, because they grow around here. Im not at all serious about archery. It is a fun and goofy thing to do, and thats about it. Im not crazy about it, but I am the type who like to make and do things. The making and using of bows, strings, and arrows (or bolts) is the entire joy, for me.

Next, after these bows, is a crossbow for Quadzilla. Hes decided he wants a crossbow for the faire, so well bust one out. I need to get a length of 1 pipe, for that.
    Youngest Son has a pair of horse bows I made him, a 48 and a 60. They are pure prop, but actually draw 10-12 pounds! The small one is being painted, and the larger one is being backed just now. Ill put up a photo dump later of the rest of our bows for the faire.
    And the swanahawk. Hehe. It was meant to be an atlatl, but my skills need a bit of work, yet, before I can pull off one of those from pvc...

Peace,
    Robert

Nice! I have a red oak longbow that I play with on occasion. I didn't make it, but a bow is on the list of things I might get around to sometime.

Trevor

D43073CE-3084-47FA-ABC5-7AB96E95D210.jpg
    Dragon skin backed, Golden Horn limbed, horse bow.

3D26A4A7-E7DE-490B-B65D-575358F8096B.jpg
    With genuine leatherette and authentic lashings. Plus, genuine golden horns.

0AFE4875-898C-49D8-940F-A543D6F37A20.jpg
    And cute little tassels on the bow string. Ahem.
    Thisn started as 48 long, but Im sure the sinuousness has shortened it a bit. It actually draws fairly well, and can actually fire an arrow.
    This is destined for play, however.

Peace,
    Robert

An Australian red cedar document box.

Box cedar 1.jpgBox cedar 3.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Very Nice, Peter! Dovetails are an art I haven't played with much yet. Is your Australian cedar soft like our Western Red? The only Australian woods I used were eucalypts and hard as hammers.

Our red cedar is soft like your's and is a very good furniture timber. It compresses easily which is good for dovetails.

Fitting dovetails in eucalyptus hardwood is an exercise in absolute precision, the stuff doesn't compress at all. DAMHIK.
    Grateful Dead

More archery crud. Sorry.

2F94FC60-2FCE-48B1-8A22-165DF266C35A.jpg
    I just made this two finger release, and Ive been using it for a few days.

It is AWESOME!

Peace,
    Robert

NICE! I've got to try making one like a friend of mine uses for flight shooting. It's basically a wooden "T" handle with a cutout kinda like a Dzus fastener in the end of the "T". Release is a rotary motion so there's no string windup or movement off plane. He does pretty well with it at the Flight Nationals at Bonneville. What did you make that one out of? I'm guessing it works a bit like a thumb ring?

NICE! I've got to try making one like a friend of mine uses for flight shooting. It's basically a wooden "T" handle with a cutout kinda like a Dzus fastener in the end of the "T". Release is a rotary motion so there's no string windup or movement off plane. He does pretty well with it at the Flight Nationals at Bonneville. What did you make that one out of? I'm guessing it works a bit like a thumb ring?
    Piece of plastic that looks like bone. It is about 1/4 (6mm)thick. The middle finger goes in the loop, index finger on the lever. The little divot holds either the string proper, or a loop on the string. Im shooting off th string with the nock resting on the release.
    Pull back, and point the index finger. The release spins on the middle finger.

I have traditionally been too macho to use such, but man, it is awesome! I still dont think Im going to use arrow rests, but this release is cool. It improved my shooting, which, admittedly, is not Ishi-like, nor William Tell-ish.

Peace,
    Robert

I've made and used a similar pvc release, although I prefer a 3 finger over a 2 finger. I wasn't any more accurate with one than with fingers and a leather tab and it lowered my draw length by a couple of inches, which was already pretty short, so I went back to the tab. Considering they take me about 15 minutes to make out of scrap pvc pipe, it's worth making and trying some out.

Just to break up the archery stuff, here is one of several lamps I made:
    DSC00621.jpgDSC00628.jpg
    Interesting tidbit; the firefly light comes from the led and circuitry from one of those inexpensive led tealight style "candles", and the flickering in intensity is because the light corresponds to voltage signal on the chip that the manufacturer re-purposed from its original use playing "Fur Elise" on a holiday card that played when you opened it.

6CBF7D2A-E12B-483E-80F1-F42619C62261.jpg
    I was tying little turksheads to decorate, um, something, and I wondered if anyone else uses a little needle/fid like this to lay them up? It helps a ton with wee little floppy cordage such as this bamboo stuff I got hold of.

It was a nail, but now its not.

Peace,
    Robert

I like the nail/needle Rob .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I like the nail/needle Rob .
    Thanks. It has a slightly oval/duck-billed shape to the end, like a fid.

Peace,
    Robert