Thread: Old Wharf Dory 16' LYS

Default Old Wharf Dory 16' LYS

The plans arrived. The material list calls for 4'x8' fir plywood OR you can substitute MDO or Meranti.

I have a source for fir plywood and MDO readily available. Does anyone have opinions on which material is easiest to use and will result in a good quality hull? I am leaning towards MDO right now. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Default Re: Old Wharf Dory 16' LYS

I used a very nice quality Marine grade fir plywood and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog99 View Post
    I used a very nice quality Marine grade fir plywood and had no problems.
    I spent an hour trying to figure out the different types of ply last night. Is a "very nice quality Marine grade fir plywood" different than Meranti?

in a word...yes. I looked at a Marine grade fir plywood at Lowes and was turned off. I ended up buying the same thing at a privately owned lumber yard that was way superior (and $$$) to the stuff at Lowes. I think the general objection to using fir plywood is that you may get some "checking" or little splinters that separate out were the hull bends. This is not an issue if you are planing to glass the hull which I did, and many LYS guys do. Here is an old thread you may have seen that discusses the pro's and con's

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...fir-vs-meranti

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I ended up with similar wood to Seadog, a Marine ply from local lumberyard. Since I was glassing and painting anyway, I saw no real advantage to the nicer Meranti. A friend who built one here locally used MDO and did not glass. The MDO finish was pretty much ready to paint right away. He got done quicker than I did (actually I am not done yet, but soon) since he did not have all the glass work and sand/fill steps I am going through now.

good luck with your build,
    John